A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feminist/ Woman-centred Swap (Sign ups CLOSED, Send outs 22 Sept)  (Read 13749 times)
Tags for this thread: feminist  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sin esperanza
« on: July 29, 2007 07:11:33 PM »

Calling all Feminists, pro-feminists, woman-centred types!!
Swap name: Feminist/ Woman-centred Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: Sin esperanza
Sign-up date range: 1st August to 17th August
Date to send item by: 22nd September

Limited to a certain number of people?: 24 people (this is my first time organising... if there are more people who want to participate, I'd request someone to PM me and offer to co-organise)

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO

All ages allowed? YES.  If you are under 18 please ensure that you are able to organise your life around the craft (if you get grounded you still need to be able to get to a post office/craft store/internet cafe!)

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: NO
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Additional info so you know what you're in for:
- Participants will be required to communicate regularly (twice a week on thread)
- Everyone needs to have access to camera so as to take photos of what you make (before you send it) and what you receive.
- Please don't flake... shit happens... just let me and your partner know.

Details of swap:

You'll be crafting 4 feminist/woman-centred themed crafts for you partner.  So what you craft kinda depends on what feminism means to each of us personally.  Cherishing amazing women in our lives, feminist icons, eco-feminism, anti-male... whatever.  One large, One medium and Two small items to be crafted.  However, feel free to negotiate what and how much you want to make with your partner!

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer:

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
ADD OTHER SWAP SPECIFIC QUESTIONS HERE...
What kind of feminist are you?  Tell us about your politics.  The more information the better!

Favourite feminist icons?

What kind of crafts do you like to do?

What kind of craft would you like to receive?

Top things on your feminist wishlist?

Things you dislike/hate/are allergic to?

Allergens in you house (smoke/cats etc)?

Anything else you'd like to share about yourself to tell your craft partner what you're likely to appreciate.  Or just a rant about yourself coz you can!

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

AFTER PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP AND BEEN APPROVED I'll edit this post to list them and we can get to know each other.

Here's hoping all the feminists/pro-feminists on craftster have time and energy to pamper themselves a bit!!

So we have.... Partners!

anarkalilith -- kakariki
sin esperanza -- tofu button
gleep -- ScotSkipper402
ohsweetie -- pinkanddinky
SlyBetty -- craftacular
crumpet13 -- TwistedRedhead
mimikachu -- tindad
auntiem -- Pheather
teraspawn -- TwistMySister
lilylola -- selenate
onecraftybitch -- sticky_fingers

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007 07:40:27 PM by sin esperanza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
Liralera

Crafty and Musical

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007 08:46:00 AM »

I would love to sign up for this the second I get out of my first swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007 09:33:15 AM »

I'm tempted!  Smiley  Only thing is, I'm not necessarily anti-male...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007 10:31:19 AM »

You don't have to hate men or be anti-male to be a feminist - I love my husband and 2 sons dearly and I am a staunch Dr Marten & Birkenstock wearing feminist.

From Wikipedia
Feminism comprises a number of social, cultural and political movements, theories and moral philosophies that are concerned with the impact of cultural, political, and economic practices and inequalities on discrimination against women. Feminism is also described as an ideology focusing on equality of both sexes.[1] Some have argued that gendered and sexed identities, such as "man" and "woman", are social constructs. Feminists often differ in opinion over the sources of inequality, how to attain equality, and the extent to which gender and gender-based identities should be questioned and critiqued. Liberal feminists, such as Gloria Steinem, believe the womens liberation movement revolves around the equality of genders, and that gender should not be the only factor in shaping a person's social identity or socio-economic rights. Radical feminists would also argue that feminism is about ending societal domination and elitism. Modern feminist political activists commonly campaign for a woman's right to bodily integrity and autonomy on matters such as reproductive rights, including the right to abort, access to contraception and quality prenatal care; for protection from domestic violence; against sexual harassment and rape; for workplace rights, including maternity leave and equal pay; and against other forms of discrimination.

Many feminists currently regard feminism as a grass-roots movement that seeks to cross boundaries based on social class, race, culture and religion. They also argue that an effective feminist movement should address universal issues, such as rape, incest, and prostitution, and culturally specific issues, such as female genital cutting in some parts of Africa and the Middle East and "glass ceiling" practices that impede women's advancement in developed economies. Feminism explores subjects such as patriarchy, stereotyping, sexual objectification and gender oppression.

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007 11:31:08 AM »

That was my concern... Feminism, to me, is about promoting the equality of the sexes, not about hating on half the human race.  That's why "anti-male" rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this swap, and I'm in if I can take care of my current swap obligations in time.  (I have an open slot but I don't want to get overwhelmed.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohsweetie
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007 12:05:35 PM »

i'm really excited about this swap.  i appreciate that the organizer put a variety of feminist examples down (including eco-fem and anti-male, for example), because while feminism is changing, and younger feminists do see feminism as including a variety of different feminismS, there are still feminists out there who are anti-male, and new feminism says, "that's OK!" this is a pretty inclusive swap, i'm excited.

xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

in the words of richard brautigan,
"i'll love you and be your catfish friend!"

oooh, i do personal swaps too!

http://d-funk.blogspot.com
auntiem
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007 04:22:48 PM »

Full on feminist here! Probably count as "second wave", but I read Bitch cover to cover so I could probably relate to other forms.Hmm I think I even have a slot open or will soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwistedRedhead
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007 08:43:54 PM »

This sounds awesome.  I think I will have time to do this swap!  I went to a women's college and have a minor in women's studies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nunchuck skills...check, Computer hacking skills...check, Bowstaff skills...check, Crafting skills...check.

http://worksofartemis.etsy.com/
http://worksofartemis.blogspot.com/
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007 04:14:50 AM »

Hooray for Women's Colleges!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007 03:52:09 PM »

Not sure if I have the time to dedicate to this right now, but I'm definitely interested!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
How to Make a Georgia Peach Pie
How to Make Homemade Fondant and Decorative Daisies
How to Make a Chocolate Chip Cookie Shot Glass
Sabrina Soto Presents: The Sophisticated Gelatin Shot!
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...