A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Dobby Socks" Knitted Sock Swap?  (Read 1654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Madmatigan79

Back by popular demand...

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2007 09:34:52 PM »

Inspired by all the Harry Potter mania going on right now, I've been looking at the Dobby Socks in the book Charmed Knits, and thinking that they might be just the right project for my terribly short attention span. Also, since I seem to have an incurable case of "can't finish a pair of anything"-itis, the idea of purposely mismatched socks really appeals to me (for those of you who are unfamiliar with the HP series, the character, Dobby, is a house elf with an affinity for mismatched socks).

Then I thought, "'Dobby Socks' swap!"

My idea is that each person would have two partners but would knit only one sock per partner (the result being that each person ends up with a lovely pair of mismatched socks). This idea might appeal to non-HP fans as well (especially those of you who have perhaps been thinking about knitting a pair of socks but find the task of making two identical items daunting!).

Any takers? Sign ups could start asap with maybe a three-four week crafting time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madmatigan79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007 09:38:57 PM »

I should mention that, while I say "Dobby Socks" and refer to the pattern in Charmed Knits, I don't mean that everyone would have to knit that pattern. You could knit any sock pattern you like!

(we would sort out the details of size/style in the swap questionnaire so that, while the socks would be mismatched, they would at least feel similar when you're wearing them - thanks, Kaesea, for that idea!!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007 11:59:16 AM »

This sounds really fun, but I totally don't have the time for it right now.  I would participate in a round 2, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007 12:40:23 PM »

This sounds like fun. I've been wanting to knit a pair of socks but the idea of having to do it twice is pretty daunting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
kell
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007 12:05:41 PM »

Were you reading my mind?  I was just thinking about doing something similar for myself, as I don't have the attention span for two identical socks.  I'll have to see what the dates are, as I'm not going to have much free time once school starts. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007 03:12:05 PM »

(we would sort out the details of size/style in the swap questionnaire so that, while the socks would be mismatched, they would at least feel similar when you're wearing them - thanks, Kaesea, for that idea!!).

Hmmmm? Did somebody say my name? Wink

Yes, as a long-time mismatched sock-wearer, I would agree that we should use the same weight yarn and ideally create the same length sock (it feels weird to have one long and one short... also weird to have one thick and one thin).

I've never actually made a sock -- I make mitts out of my sock yarn and I always dread that second one. So making single socks sounds like it would be right up my alley. I don't know why I never thought of it before (since I only ever wear one of a pair at a time anyway!)

I hope that Dobby's fashion statement takes off -- I would love to see more mismatched pair wearers out there.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007 03:44:56 PM by kaesea - Reason: because I wasn't making sense... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
bronzfrog
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007 05:54:13 PM »

This sounds like so much fun.
 I wish I could knit but I guess I'd just have to stalk the gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.ets y.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007 08:42:22 PM »

I love making socks, it would be awesome to try this!

Maybe, so the socks would feel the same, you could make 2 socks with the same yarn but in different colors or with different stitch patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Madmatigan79

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007 05:01:35 PM »

Re: using the same yarn but in different patterns/colours - that's a good idea. The only thing with that is, if we went with my original idea of having two different partners (so you make one sock per partner and everyone receives a truly mismatched pair of socks...for some reason, I the idea of receiving a single sock in the mail just seems like it would be more), it might be more of a challenge to ensure that people use the same yarn.

Of course, we don't HAVE to do one sock/partner - we could just pair people up...or (if people were willing to do it) we could choose a specific yarn (ie. KnitPicks) that everyone would use...but maybe that is complicating things too much? What do people think? Or should I just make a note for people to state their yarn weight preference in the swap questionnaire and leave it at that?

I've just about finished my current WIP, and I think I'll start sign ups this week. Yay socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007 12:54:55 PM »

I don't think it makes that much difference if the socks feel slightly different. My feet are pretty sensitive and I definitely have cases where I am wearing socks that are the same weight, but are not the made from the exact same yarn, and it doesn't bother me.

I think if we specify yarn weight (perhaps more precisely, gauge) and length, the socks should feel similar enough not to bother anyone. Mostly, the weird thing is if one is super-thick or super-long.

I like the idea of getting two different socks from two different people -- it's more Dobby-like. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Rum-Spiked Grilled Pineapple
4 Super-Simple Banana Snacks You Need to Try
How to Make Meyer Lemon Sponge Kisses
How to Make Milk and Cookie Shots
How to Make Crispy Maple Oatmeal Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...