A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: messenger bag w. adjustable strap tute  (Read 40128 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennybean
« on: July 28, 2007 02:57:01 PM »

hey all,

my boyfriend not-so-recently lost his man-purse, and i've been planning a replacement for a while. i recently found some ultra-cheap landscape fabric (my new love ... yum!) and it motivated me to get moving.

here's the finished bag, with landscape lining:

it's about the size of a folded newspaper, with an outside pocket for pens and inside pockets for stuff. (i'm thinking of adding an elastic strap for almost-empty coffee sippy mugs, because they always seem to leak everywhere when they run loose.) there are two buttons so it can be closed empty or full.

i looked on craftster for a while for info on how to make adjustable straps, and didn't find much, so i'm attempting a photo-less tutorial here. this is not going to be a fantastic how-to, but you might pull it off! my advice ... use a bra strap as a model. it seems mysterious, but becomes immediately apparent once you see it.

you need a D-ring (or plain old circular jumpring) and a square ring with a middle bar (like a buckle). the size of the square ring depends on the size of the strap. you need two widths of strap to fit through the square snugly, yet allow some movement.

one end of the strap should be fixed to the bag. (i prefer this end in the front.) attach the D-ring on the other side. grab the loose end of the strap and thread the square ring onto the strap, with the strap going over the middle bar. next, thread the strap over and through the D-ring. (in other words, past the body of the bag and back through toward the inside of the bag). pull the strap up toward the D-ring. fold the loose end of strap over the middle bar, and pin in place. now's a great time to play with the strap length. decide on the maximum/minimum distance you want the bag to hang, and pull through the correct amount of loose strap before trimming and sewing.

adjustable strap detail (front):

adjustable strap detail (back):
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010 10:53:31 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
unpopulartshirt
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007 03:15:23 PM »

So cool! I need to make something like this... I love the landscape fabric so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supersolar

ripping stiches builds character

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007 05:50:41 PM »

i've been thinking about an adjustable strap but have just been too darn lazy to try and work to figure it out.  your bag and tutorial are great.

thank you!  charlie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist!
etsy!

i am a cake bandit.  and a nerd.  and i make stuff.  and i am in love with racer x.
honeybea
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007 09:10:12 PM »

This looks great! I think I like the idea of the elastic to hold those almost empty cups upright. The landscape fabric is very nice indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarush
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007 09:14:49 PM »

(i'm thinking of adding an elastic strap for almost-empty coffee sippy mugs, because they always seem to leak everywhere when they run loose.)

that is such a good idea! i think i ruined one of my bags when a coffee cup that was completely empty magically had three huge drips left leaked. i didn't notice it for about a week and the stain won't budge now Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ craft log ] [ wists ]

my job is sending me to training in the dc area from october to march. great for the career and social life but bad for the crafting.
jennybean
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007 06:58:10 PM »

yeah, i have no idea what it is with those cups, but as soon as they're set loose in your bag, they seem to magically produce more coffee. i'm definitely going to add a little holder.

i think i might start collecting landscape fabric for a quilt! there's something about it that i really, really like ... even the cheesy stuff ... and especially when there are animals!

anyway, thanks for the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnnfrb
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007 09:27:39 PM »

Thanks so much for posting the adjustable strap how-to, I've been looking everywhere for one.  Awesome bag too!  Great job, and I love the landscape fabric as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007 11:33:14 AM »

I love messenger bags and this one tops the list, it's freaking awesome! I really like the two buttons too, I wouldn't have thought of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anb955
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007 06:02:07 PM »

I really like the style of the bag, could you possible post a tut for how you made it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007 05:33:57 PM »

I really like the style of the bag, could you possible post a tut for how you made it?

i pretty much assembled it piece-by-piece, using a lot of notes to keep my measurements straight.

for the main body i cut one long piece, then sewed the end to make a tube. then i sewed the bottom onto that. i did this for the lining and outside, then made a flap which i stuck in at the end. the hardest part of making a lined bag, for me, is figuring out which sides go together while sewing together the inside and outside, because you do it all inside-out, and i get so turned around.

in appearance, it's basically a jordy bag, modified to add a flap, and that's a far better tutorial!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 05:42:35 PM by jennybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Gift Wrap Small Items
How to Wrap Gift Baskets
How to Wrap a Box Shaped Gift
How to Gift Wrap a Circular Object
How to Do Cross Stitch Embroidery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...