A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Layered Soap Help  (Read 1998 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moonunit55

If Nadia can knit, so can you!

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2004 11:02:38 AM »

My first experiment with melt and pour soap went completely awry.

I was attempting to make the red and white layered soap featured in the December Martha Stewart Living magazine for some holiday gifts. All the instructions said to do was the melt the clear soap, add in your scent and food coloring, pour it into a pan and let it set for 20 min, score it with a fork and then add your next layer, repeat etc. for soap that is layered and pretty.

The recipe called for making the soap in a loaf pan so you would have nice little bars. I decided to make it in a 9x9 brownie pan so I could make more at once. Everything went fine until I inverted the block and went to cut it. As soon as I put a knife in there the layers popped apart. My boyfriend and I were making the soap together and the layers he had scored he pressed down much harder with the fork and those seemed to stick together better. We ripped it all apart and separated the colors so as to take another try at it but I don't want to botch it again.

I am wondering what went wrong. Should I ditch the brownie pan and use loaf pans like the recipe calls for? Should we just make sure to score each layer very very deeply so that they stick together? The only problem with that is that you see little hatch marks when you cut the soap.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also researching this on the Martha Stewart website but craftster folks are so smart I figured why not run it by those who are here.

Nadia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004 11:39:46 AM »

Is it glycerin soap?  I have heard that you can spray the first layer with rubbing alcohol, then pour on the second layer.  That should keep it from seperating.  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fl_mariposa
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004 03:39:55 PM »

Yes, that's what I was going to suggest. Also, make sure the soap isn't totally hard before you're pouring the next layer=the soap you're pouring onto needs to just have a thick skin and be cool. The same goes for the soap you're pouring-it needs to be cooled down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
flower
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004 05:10:56 PM »

I made Martha's layered soap, but instead of using loaf pans, I used a cheap plastic loaf-shaped soap molds.  I'm not smart enough to get the soap out of the loaf pans without destroying them.  Maybe you were putting too much pressure on them when popping them out.  It doesn't take nearly as much pressure when you use a flexible, plastic mold.  Maybe you can try one of those instead.  You could also use yogurt containers, the bottom of carbdoard milk cartons, plastic cups, and all kids of other flexible stuff for molds if you don't want to buy them.  DON'T GIVE UP!  Melt & pour is fun and easy, you just started with a complicated one.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004 05:21:53 PM by Roseiey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JodiJean
JOCOLE: extra-long modest shirts! personalized tyvek creations (including iPod cases) and unique compact pocket mirrors. sterling silver jewelry.

Modest clothing, tyvek wallets, recipe boxes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004 06:31:37 PM »

spray with some alcohol in a spray bottle, really!!  its just that simple step that keeps it from separating, scoring it with a fork is not enough.  spray with alcohol, then pour on the other layer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jocole.net
http://jocole.etsy.com

JOCOLE:  Extra-long modest shirts!
Personalized tyvek wallet and zipper pouches, custom recipe boxes.

http://jodijean.blogspot.com
http://jocole.blogspot.com
seatbelt
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004 08:20:33 PM »

I never thought I would post on a forum like this... but...

My girlfriend tried to make these soaps and got frustrated with the same problem... the layers fell apart.  So I took over. 
I tried several things:
(1) scoring the layers
(2) really scoring the layers with a fork
(3) adding layers while still warm

None worked.

Oh, you need to lube the pan with vasiline.  That makes it easy to remove the loaf (with a few bangs on the table).

But this did:
I took the solid loaf, still in the pan and placed it in a 200 deg oven for 5 - 8 minutes... just long enough to melt the outer layer of soap.  Once solid, this layer kept the other layers connected.

The sliced soaps were a hit.

G
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004 08:26:35 PM »

I've also read that putting it in the fridge for a little while to make it cold works. I tried this & it worked pretty well. I made about 5 or 6 bars & I think only one ended up coming apart. Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005 09:31:26 AM »

You could try lining the tin with cling-film to get the soaps out (but then it'll have weird lines all over the soap. Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiJean
JOCOLE: extra-long modest shirts! personalized tyvek creations (including iPod cases) and unique compact pocket mirrors. sterling silver jewelry.

Modest clothing, tyvek wallets, recipe boxes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005 11:17:34 AM »

you act like ive never tried it, oh that girl says to srapy it with alcohol, oh well i'll try to do it while it hot, cold, score it more, etc.  i've NEVER had it separate on me when i spray it with alcohol.  it works, if you dont want your soap to separate i seriously recommend to spray it with some alcohol (i keep some rubbing alcohol in a srap bottle just for that purpose.)  i'm telling ya people, TRY IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.jocole.net
http://jocole.etsy.com

JOCOLE:  Extra-long modest shirts!
Personalized tyvek wallet and zipper pouches, custom recipe boxes.

http://jodijean.blogspot.com
http://jocole.blogspot.com
amareluna
Saponification Expert

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005 03:02:16 PM »

Every 'soaper' i know keeps a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol on their soaping table/counter, etc.

Why?

1. When making layered melt and pour soaps it keeps the layers together.

Like this (my 'Ocean Bottom' soaps, three layers, cp shreds in the bottom, colored clear mp in the middle and 'whipped' goats milk mp on the top) :

Click here to see the picture at normal size

2. When making ALL melt and pour soaps, a quick spritz of alcohol on the molds after pouring eliminates all those pesky air bubbles that can ruin a pretty soap.

You need to let the first layer cool down until it has a thick film on it that is firm to the touch, then spray it with alcohol. Make sure the second layer has also cooled down-filmed over at least twice is my trick-as you don't want it to melt the first layer.

So yes- JodiJean- IT DOES WORK! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saponifier For Serious Soap Makers! | Acts of Creativity My Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Chantress by Amy Butler Greenfield
Katy Butler Gives Tips on the End of Life
Katy Butler Explains the Final Stages of Life
Cathy Erway on Honing Your Interests
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...