A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixalator..  (Read 83904 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , pixel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2004 09:31:21 AM »

Ok so I'm not sure if this is a misc project or if it's more of a house decorating thing..  But I'm going with misc at the moment..
This weird wonderful invention is a pixalator, it might already be here under another name / form, but in my trawling through this site I haven't seen anything like it..  Basically it gives TV watching a whole new dimension..

To start, collect a LOT of toilet rolls, just the cardboard tube bit..  You may need to enlist the help of your friends here, it takes a fair few loo rolls depending on the size of your TV..
Next, find yourself a cardbaord box big enough to cover the screen of your TV..  Cut it so you just have the frame, not top or bottom & it's as long as a loo roll..
Get enough cheap white fabric to cover the box..  Cover one opened side of the box with white fabric, staple, glue, stick it on to keepit there fairly tightly..
Fill up the empty space with loo rolls..
And then stick it over the screen of the telly..
Flick off the lights & switch on the tube..  And watch the light display!!  As the image moves over the screen the colours on the fabric change..  I guess it's kinda like a super cheap Lava lamp!!  For the bext result, don't sit directly in front of the TV, if you sit off to the side it's much cooler..

Hope these instructions make sense..  It's the end of the day & I'm all blocked up thanks tot he cold I've had for a week..

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009 09:18:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004 10:03:10 AM »

That's so cool! How did you attach it to the TV? Is it easy to remove, for when you want to be able to see the screen itself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
LampLitHavens

chiyo-chan's a penguin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004 12:42:58 PM »

whoa that is trippy and cool. i wonder how you'd attach all the toilet rolls together so they're perfectly stacked. that seems a bit tricky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CellophaneFlowers
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004 06:21:37 PM »

That'd be great for a party, with the sound on the TV turned off. I might have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faith and begorrah...
zephren
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004 06:44:48 PM »

I am sorry... I am really intrested in making this, can you please go over your directions step by step again. I cant understand them. When you type 1oo, does that mean #100, or are you saying little, I dont seem to understand your slang. Im not trying to be rude, honest.... I want to make this, I just dont understand your directions. can anyone else perhaps paraphase the directions? Maybe Ill get it, if someone else explains...... Right now all I get is bould a box around your tv, leave a hole for the screen and then it gets real shady about doing something with fabric.... and TP rolls. Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theheartofgold

donny, you're out of your element

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004 07:11:33 PM »

a friend of mine had one of these attatched to his tv, and we would just sit and watch it for AGES. MESMIRIZING.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://WaywardGirls.etsy.com

^Homemade Cards Filled With Rage (and Love)
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004 07:30:17 PM »

When you type 1oo, does that mean #100, or are you saying little, I dont seem to understand your slang. Im not trying to be rude, honest....

I'm fairly sure she means "loo" as in, slang for toilet. The thing is made with toilet paper rolls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004 07:54:56 PM »

That is such a good idea. I've seen the same thing on super-fancy design blogs for beaucoup bucks, and never thought of making my own. Painting the tubes white might make it look even more professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
zephren
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004 08:20:35 PM »

Got it! Now that I know shes Brittish i re-read the thing to myself in a brit accent and said loo as in toilet and it made sense! Yeah, us yanks call "loo paper" Toliet paper, or TP. Ha! Ha1  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThatFalafelGirl
I'm an Alpaca!!!

Ambivalent about Adulthood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004 08:35:16 PM »

yes, i am also confused about how it attatches to the tv. i mean, does the box go over the entire TV, or just in front of the screen? How would the tubes stay if it went over the entire thing? but how does it stay on if it only goes in front?? Huh More info please! because this thing looks Freakin' Awesome!

-Falafel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bats Need Friends!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Rainbow Color Effect in Photoshop
How to Use Photoshop 2/2
How to Use Photoshop 1/2
how to Make a Picture Look Like A Painting in Photoshop
How to Create an Electric Text Effect In Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...