A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thinking about getting a rotary cutter.  (Read 3560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

elijor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009 03:54:44 PM »

Make sure it's a popular brand, like Gingher or Fiskars or Olfa.....my mother bought me one and I cann't even find replacement blades for it, not even online!  I will have to invest in a new one  Shocked .
As long as you get the same size I believe rotary cutter blades are interchangable. All of my cutters are Fiskars (love the shape of the handle and how it feels in my hand) but I buy whichever brand blades are on sale. Also when me & my quilting buddies get together I'd bet almost all brands are represented and we share fresh blade with whoever has them and whoever needs them. Also "most" cutters are 45 mm. Go buy another brand and try them - if they don't work you can take them back. If there is a quilt shop around they might offer to try one of there blades in your cutter if you take it with you but typically blades are more expensive at a quilt shop (or they just are ever on sale - I guess the regular price is usually about the same).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009 04:17:38 PM »

When I took my blade off to bring it with me, I noticed that there are 3 notches, evenly spaced out around where the hole is to fit it to the handle, so I'm thinking that the other replacement blades won't fit it  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009 07:49:11 PM »

I have a 45mm cutter that I used all the time, then I bought a 28mm & I now use that for most of my cutting (nicer for smaller hands). I now use my 45mm for heavier fabrics.

Also, about the mat, make sure it's a self healing mat - meaning the surface will get cut into, but won't dull your blade. The 1st mat I got was a small one which was not self healing & basically ruined my blade & scratched up that mat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009 09:53:54 PM »

I got a pink one. It's fiskars brand (my preferred brand, so that is nice. I'd love ghingars, but too pricey for my budget) and a self healing mat that matches.

*gratuitous picture*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009 12:06:38 AM »

I'd love ghingars, but too pricey for my budget
I have a little bit of experience with fiskers and ginghers rotary cutters, so I thought I'd toss in my two cents.  I sew daily and use my rotary cutters for most of my big cutting (cutting clothing pieces and reconstructing).  With fiskers blades, I end up replacing them about once every three to four weeks.  I got my first gingher rotary tool in a big black friday sale after last thanksgiving and I just had to replace the blade for the first time in june. I really feel that the blades are higher quality and considering the price difference (at my joann's it's $6 for a fiskers blade and $11 for a gingher blade) I think it's worth the price, especially when you've got a 50% off coupon.

That being said, let me tell you to always check for pins before you cut.  Like I said, I just replaced my gingher blade last month, and the first day I was using it I ran over a pin and dinged the blade! You'll know when your blade is dinged because you'll have a little evenly spaced spots that aren't cut along the line that you'll have go back over.  It's infuriating!

Anyway, the reason I mention it is that I thought I'd try out one of the blade sharpeners to try and fix my new gingher blade.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3548&PRODID=prd12859
That should link to one on joann's website if you don't know what I mean. 

I tried it on my old gingher blade, my new dinged gingher blade, and two old fiskers blades.    I was amazed at how much of a difference it made on the fiskers blades, but it didn't seem to make any difference with the ginghers.  maybe those blades are harder? I don't know.  But that might be something to consider.  If you want to have a good blade that should last longer I'd suggest a gingher blade (and can tell you that they fit in the fiskers body no problems), but if you want to get a sharpener and try to keep them sharp that way, go for the fiskers blades.

Ok, I'll end the rant now.
cheers, and happy (careful) cutting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
elijor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009 01:41:14 PM »

When I took my blade off to bring it with me, I noticed that there are 3 notches, evenly spaced out around where the hole is to fit it to the handle, so I'm thinking that the other replacement blades won't fit it  Embarrassed

Fiskars and Olfa - 2 of the most common brands - have the 3 notches. It doesn't look like the Gingher or other brands at Joann.com have the notches but I bet they fit anyway. What brand is your cutter?

I didn't even realise Gingher made rotary cutters. They are quite pricey but since you said the replacements work in the Fiskars cutter maybe I'll go that route.

I tried it on my old gingher blade, my new dinged gingher blade, and two old fiskers blades.    I was amazed at how much of a difference it made on the fiskers blades, but it didn't seem to make any difference with the ginghers.  maybe those blades are harder?

I've tried the sharpener before as well. I found it did sharpen the blade somewhat but it won't hold the edge as long as it did when new. I would agree with your guess that the Gingher blade is made from a harder material and that is why it stays sharp longer and can't be sharpened with that manual sharpener. Also, I don't think you can get a "pin notch" out of even the softer Fiskars blade - at least I never could. SOT - my daughter cut a pin with my brand new engraved Gingher shears - they have been professionally sharpened several times and I can still feel a ever so slight difference when I get to that spot. Yes she is still alive but it took massive amounts of restraint on my part Wink

A quilt shop I used to live near would take dull blades in and send them out to be sharpened professionally. They would hold their edge longer than the DIY ones but it was a bit of a hassle and by the time you paid shipping you could get new ones for not much more when Joanns had a sale or 50% coupon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009 01:52:32 PM »

It's called Sullivan's. 

I'll have to try looking at the olfa's and iskars again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Coral Bead Bracelet
Flowers In Your Hair
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...