A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rice Milk??????? Advice needed  (Read 1207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Theheavydress
Cities will fall

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2007 02:45:48 PM »

I am looking into alternatives to milk as I'm still making progress into being full vegan. Some websites vouched for soy, while still others proclaimed that soy milk was harsh on the stomach.
Another website claimed rice milk was an excellent choice, but lacking in any nutrients or health benefits.

Then I found a website that touted the claim that to drink rice milk is essentially to drink "starchy water" and you can make your own.

The recipe they provided was to boil 2 cups rice to 10 cups water, adding sweetener or vanilla as desired. Being that milk alternatives are costly, has anyone tried making their own rice milk? or known anyone who has made rice milk?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ain't no dandelion I ever heard could grow in the shade
krissykat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007 07:34:38 PM »

I've made rice milk a couple of times. It's a lot of work and really messy. (I had to strain it with cheesecloth, etc etc.) For me, it wasn't worth the trouble.

You can get enriched rice milk that has calcium, vitamins A, D, B12. I used to buy Rice Dream brand in the shelf-stable packaging (Tetra packs).

Milk alternatives are just as "controversial" as real milk. One person swears up and down that it will give you perfect health, while the next swears it's going to kill you.  Wink

Maybe try buying a book about veganism (or check the library). A lot of people recommend Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis & Vesanto Melina (both registered dietitians). It has a ton of information about how to be a healthy vegan.

The thing about websites is that anyone can post anything they want. Check out who's writing the websites, what their credentials are, whether there's any fact checking, peer review, references, etc. Then you can decide for yourself who you want to believe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
heini
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007 01:38:55 PM »

I have made soy milk many times. I think it's quite easy, it can be a bit messy though:

-what has happened here??
-The milk boiled a little on the stove..
-I wonder what it looks like when it boils a lot on stove.
And I had already cleaned up most of the mess

Homemade soy milk is good for cooking and baking, but it's not so good for drinkin because it tastes too much like soy. But I don't think I've ever tried soy milks that you can buy from stores, so I don't know if they taste as much soy.

There's also oat milk. I think it can be made at home too, but I don't know how.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007 05:19:49 PM »

I use soy milk and, although I've never tried making it, I buy it from the store and its a little less than $4 a gallon. A gallon normally lasts me a week or two so I figure that's not too bad. I normally don't drink it striaght though so if you do then you might need a little more. I just use it to bake and in cereal and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdE
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007 05:50:31 AM »

I usually buy fortified rice milk at the store, 'cause I basically drink rice milk to get enough calcium...

So I wouldn't make my own rice milk...as it's just rice with water to me.

However, I do make my own nut/seed milks, which are quite nutritious. Especially sesame milk which is excellent in banana smoothies.

Rule of thumb is:
you soak one part of nuts or seeds overnight (or for app. 6-8 hours), strain them and then put them in the blender with 3-4 parts of water.
Blend well and strain over a bowl or whatever you want to store your milk in.
The leftover pulp can be used again to make a lighter milk (use less water though).

What's left over after that  could be used in burgers or as a facial scrub I suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hortonwho
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007 02:25:07 PM »

I use Silk Unsweetened Soy Milk for me and my kids.
The regular silk was too sweet, it tasted like cereal milk after you eat all the cereal.  Tongue

I like the soy, because it adds some protein and calcium to my diet that I don't always get. (I must admit, even though I am vegan, I still don't eat the healthiest in the world. - let's face it, french fries are vegan, but not the best for you...)

The main thing to remember is, anything you think of as "milk" will taste disgusting at first. You have to keep in mind that it is a whole different drink/ingredient. When I quit thinking of it as a milk substitute, it tasted a lot better. Besides, after 3 weeks, the body naturally gets used to things. I actually prefer the taste of soy milk to cow's milk now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wuzzles
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007 12:09:46 PM »

I have a related, but separate question: Can rice milk and soy milk be interchanged in recipes? (Apologies in advance if this was not the place to ask this question... I'm a very new noob! Undecided)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silversark

Queen of France!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007 01:52:14 PM »

I personally LOVE rice milk.  It's not chalky or beany like soy milk, and it's slightly sweet so it's good just for drinkin' or using with cereal.  I use it for cooking and baking, too.  I say go with Rice milk, just cuz not enough people use it. And it's cheaper than soy milk.  And who knows, you may be allergic to soy and not know it (a lot of people are).  GO RICE YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make Elegant Gothic Lolita goods on commission, and sometimes I just make things for the online store!

http://silversark.etsy.com/
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007 09:04:09 PM »

I also really like almond milk, use the recipe that someone mentioned earlier for nut/grain milks. If you like it a little sweeter, try adding agave nectar and a bit of vanilla extract.

I use it almond and rice milks in smoothies (with tofu and pear nectar and avocados and honey and vanilla) and in my raw almond-oat porridge.

In terms of people having tummy trouble from soymilk, just know that if you are introducing soy to your body for the first time (or even if it's just been a few weeks since you've had it), the body needs time to adjust. I frequently forget about the joy of soy every so often and have to go through a re-introduction period. So if you can, go little bits at first, as there's bound to be some gastrointestinal reaction. Then you can just work your way up and be fine! I've noticed the same thing happens when I havent' had certain veggies in a while, either, so I figure it's pretty normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
streetspectrum
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007 08:19:24 AM »

My mom has been allergic to dairy for about 30 years- not lactose intolerant- <i>allergic</i>. She can't have anything with whey, lactose, casein, etc. My boyfriend is also allergic and I just found out I am as well!...which is probbaly for the best considering how bad dairy is for you anyway. My mom's always drank plain rice dream rice milk and used it in exact amounts in place of milk in recipes. Also try whole foods market 365 brand it is a lot cheaper than the bigger brands. And its organic, too! In desserts and sweeter recipes you can also replace milk with coconut milk, almond or oat milk. Just remember they'll probably change the flavor a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Acrylic Paint from Drying Too Fast
How to Paint a Simple Background with Acrylic Paint
How to Paint with Acrylic Paint: Perspective
How to Paint a Mottled Background with Acrylic Paint
Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh Talk Art and Basketball At Art Basel
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...