A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Probably the FATTEST Fat Bottom Bag you've ever seen!! (EDIT 12/28/07)  (Read 16072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Emiko Hime

I object to your reality and substitute my own!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2007 02:54:10 PM »

I loved the FBB pattern but it was simply too small for me.  I need a huge, massive bag to handle all the stuff I carry, so BEHOLD!

Trying to be a model *cough*

It can also double as a hat for those chilly days.

However, I used a half double crochet for the bag instead of the herringbone half double crochet, or whatever they called it in the book, but I really can't tell the difference.  I used Lion Brands' Wool Ease Think n' Quick in black (which is, BTW, a crappy chunky yarn, but its good enough) and a size N-15 hook.  I also went for a strap instead of a wood/plastic handle.

Thanks for looking!  Cheesy

EDIT 12/28/07:  Holy beavers, Batman!  Shocked  I never realized how popular (for lack of better words) this thread has become and all the other immensely fat FBBs I inspired! 

Thank you everyone for your comments!  I havent check this thread in ages because I thought no one was replying to it (and college applications... all those who have gone through this process know what I'm talking about), but I thought wrong!  I saw a few questions, so Ill answer them even though Im a good 2 months late but it still might help others who are trying it.

The number of skeins - So I orginally wrote 3 skeins, but as I look through the boards I keep seeing people who used 4 skeins of LionBrand's Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.  So sorry for the mix-up!  I know how annoying it is when you run out of yarn for a project.  So use FOUR SKEINS of the yarn, not 3!!!!

I was wondering if you think it's still feasible to make a fat bottom bag with 2 strands of yarn with such chunky yarn and using an N hook? SilverNimbus
--Hm, using TWO strands might be a little gnarly, but it might work!  I say try a swatch and see how it works out.  It might make the bag sturdier, but also heavier.

how did you handle the "hhdc2tog" -- herringbone half-double crochet decrease" in the pattern? katydidwhat
--Since I ignored the Herringbone half-double crochet, I just used half-double crochet instead.  I simply decreased the usual way (I cant find a good website to show how, but it should be in the Happy hooker book).

Please tell me how many skeins of wool-ease thick n chunky this took. I'm making mine right now based on what you did with yours, and I'm more than mid-way through the 3rd skein already with a number of rows to go (plus the handle). I'm getting a little worried because it's getting really heavy. Did you notice this with yours or am I doing something wrong? -  fufujuice
--I could have sworn I used only 3 skeins, but perhaps I used 4.  I finished with a little yarn left over.  But maybe you do need 4 skeins!  Im sorry I gave an incorrect number!

The straps The straps I kinda just made them up as I went along.  But if I remember correctly, I may have used a smaller hook (probably M) and did this:
-Ch 5 and sc for 1 row.

-On the second row, sc, but inc 1 st at the beg and end of the row.  You should have 7 st.

-Sc until desired legnth

-Once it's the desired legnth, dec 1 st at the beg and end of the row (you should now have 5 st)

-Sc one last row.  Fasten off.

If the straps still don't come out right, keep fudging it until it does.  I really was not paying attention to what I did, so I'm sorry for the confusion.  But I hope this helps!!

Once again, thanks to all those who liked my project!  I'm flattered that so many made their own!  Good luck if you are too!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007 03:09:20 PM by Emiko Hime » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbauer
Yarn Geek, Lover of Rainbows

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007 02:55:32 PM »

Great job! This is totally my style! Did you just use a bigger yarn and hook, or did you do any row increases?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Completely rainbow obsessed SAHM to 3 & hoping to add #4 to our family this fall!

Have old jeans, pillowcases, or t-shirts? I'll take them! I'm also always looking for the sleeves to women's long sleeved shirts!

<3 I heart Rupert Grint! <3
Emiko Hime

I object to your reality and substitute my own!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 02:57:10 PM »

I just used a bigger yarn and hook, no additional increases needed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 03:09:30 PM »

That's great!
I love how big it is.
I'd totally carry that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redfuzzy

Doesn't everyone have a sonic screwdriver?!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007 03:12:46 PM »

Wow! You did a fantastic job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a personal swap with you. PM me.
My Wists
k^2
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007 03:23:48 PM »

Awesome.  As a hat or as a bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on in, I'll put on a pot of bourbon.
bron
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007 03:24:31 PM »

you did a great job, it looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loveren13
The girl you never think to consider

Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007 03:38:59 PM »

That's a completely awesome bag!  And it's a hat!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
anette_oslo
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007 04:02:51 PM »

i need one of these! i am, like you addicted to big bags, how else can i fit my whole life in them? great work you have done here, i really like it how long did it take you?

- anette -
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicecarrie
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007 04:12:20 PM »

Wow, I love that bag! The shape is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Enhance a Dandelion Image in Photoshop
How to Enhance a Cat Photograph.
How to Create a Fairy Portrait
How to Change Composition in Photoshop
How to Work with hue/saturation in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...