A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An old laptop?  (Read 4122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MADness323
« on: July 27, 2007 02:53:27 PM »

A friend gave me an old laptop to craft something out of. I think the battery is fried, it wont turn on, and I dont have any cords for it. I already have a handful of computers (Because I am a super nerd) and have no need for a third laptop, esspecially an older one like this, lol!

Anyone seen any cool ideas for a laptop like this? I was thinking of making a thin carrying case, but I also don't know how to safely take it apart and stuff, so if anyone has any info on that, either, would be cool.

Thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
melissafairy08
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007 03:03:16 PM »

I would totally take it apart and use all the little bits and pieces for lots and lots of crafts. I see earrings, mixed media art, little functional items. It's a treasure trove, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
yellowbananerz1717
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 03:15:05 PM »

I don't really know anything about computers, but I've heard that if you take apart a computer or TV you can't take apart the part with a screen because theres a weird light or something that's dangerous.  I really have no idea what I'm talking about, though, so just be careful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarush
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 03:17:34 PM »

aww, that is the same laptop i had when i first went to college in 2001.

before you take it apart, you might be able to salvage the screen for something. i've seen stuff on readymade to set up the monitor as a standalone mp3 player and stuff (to see the playlist). although if you think the battery is fried that might affect that. who knows.

here is the link to the mp3 player thing:
http://readymademag.com/printarchive/article?id=909

you may have to sign up for access, i'm not sure.

good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ craft log ] [ wists ]

my job is sending me to training in the dc area from october to march. great for the career and social life but bad for the crafting.
JadedRosepetals
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007 03:23:48 PM »

just a idea  not to crafty  but .. if you have  to many  computers now  you  might wanna  pass it on to someone that doesn't .. or  a child that  can use it for school .. a cord doesn't cost more then  10 to 50  on ebay .. a family that can't  aford to buy a puter for the young  children  would love it .. shrugs just a thought
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magicmeg0zors
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007 04:16:59 PM »

take apart the key board and make cute cute earings and necklaces with the keys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notverytalented
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007 05:09:26 PM »

I really don't think it's wise to take this thing apart.  It really is full of some toxic things.  Probably would be better to do some research first.  We aren't even allowed to put them in the landfill here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyhandbags
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007 05:34:31 PM »

My hubby works with computers, and really the only thing you can hurt yourself on is the battery.  Either the chemicals in it or the electricity.  Just because it doesn't turn on, doesn't mean it's not charged up.  You would be ok to take the keys off, and once you take the battery out you should be fine to pull the boards out.  He says you should dispose of the battery at the dump (you have to call to find out which one).
The screen is just an lcd, and the only thing you cut hurt yourself on is the actual screen (if you break it, you could cut yourself).
Smash that puppy up, and post pics of your accomplishments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
MADness323
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007 08:03:03 PM »

awesome, thank you guys so very much for the help! Yaaay, playing with potentially dangerous things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007 09:18:17 AM »

It would be so cool if you could take the guts out and make the case into a purse of some sort. The circut boards and stuff can be cut with dremels and made into earrings.
You can also use the keys for jewelry by poking holes into them.
As for the rest have fun and experiment. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Frames for Text and Graphics
Adobe InDesign CS2 - The Rectangle Tool vs. the Rectangle Frame Tool
Adobe InDesign CS2 - When Not to Turn on Allow Pages to Shuffle
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Preview Modes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...