A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wrap skirt with tutorial  (Read 6551 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maritime Fibreista
« on: July 27, 2007 09:28:20 AM »

Conceived, drafted, and sewn by yours truely!! 

Since it's a pretty basic alteration from an a-line skirt, I thought I'd try to put together a tutorial while I was at it... (although bright blue does not show the sewing well - good for me, not so good for you!)

Step 1: find or draft a plain a-line skirt to fit you, lengthen/shorten as you wish

Note: the front piece is free to hang how it wants, which means the effective bottom hem circumference is bigger than a regular a-line skirt would be - don't make it too wide at the bottom!

Step 2: cut out one back on the fold, one front on the fold, and two front pieces NOT on the fold (basically cutting the front in half):

Cut out two straight pieces to bind the top and create the ties: 2" wide, one piece long enough to bind the waist of the front of the skirt, one long enough for the whole waist + length of ties (I did 80" for this one).

Step 3: sew all darts

Step 4: sew the cut-in-half front pieces to the back on the side seams, press the side seams TOWARDS THE FRONT.

Step 5: hem the bottoms of both the on-the-fold front piece, and the back-with-wrap piece you just finished

Step 6: using a double-hem (turn a small hem in, then turn again so that all the raw edges are hidden), hem the edges of the two pieces

Step 7: bind the tops
7a: take your strips, fold them in half, press, fold each edge inside and press again (1/2" binding)

7b: for the front piece, tuck 1/2" in on the end of the short binding strip, sew it over the top of the piece until you get close to the end, cut off the binding strip 1/2" past the end, tuck that 1/2" in and finish sewing.

7c: for the back-and-wrap piece, find the center of the long binding strip and match it to the center of the back waist.  Pin the binding along the top in either direction.  Once the binding is off the skirt waist it becomes the ties - simply tuck in the end to cover the raw edges, sew the binding to itself for the tie, and keep going along the skirt waist the same way as you did for the front, continue along for the second tie and tuck in the final end as you come to it.  Make sure your side seams are still lying towards the front.

8: add buttons to the inside of the back-and-wrap piece, attaching them to the side seam allowances (note that I did french seams here, it really is the wrong side Wink )

9: add buttonholes to the sides of the front piece to match the buttons - this is how the front of the skirt gets held onto the back-and-wrap piece!

10: button up one side, put the skirt on, button up the other side, tie the ties!  Voila!

Note that you can end up showing a lot of leg this way - the front panel doesn't play modest Wink.  If you'd like more coverage, add more buttons down the side seam to keep the front attached to the back.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 09:49:54 AM by Maritime Fibreista » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CelticCoyote
Crafting Crazy Celt

Real men wear kilts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007 08:13:53 PM »

Very nicely done tutorial.  Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CelticCoyote
missliz01

my cat playing dead ;p

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 09:21:37 PM »

nice work. it's looks very comfy. Smiley  thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyRain
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 09:43:53 PM »

I love how the skirt hangs, very nice. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homeschooling mama of 4 kidlets.

Mamahood is not for wimps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Winter Beauty Essentials
Glitter Lid Makeup Tutorial
DIY Cracked Lip Treatment
Get Fit in 2014 - The Best Gear to Kickstart Your Routine
How to Pull Off the Perfect New Year’s Eve Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...