A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting word about?  (Read 822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LaLaUnique

Rainbow Hearts!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2007 08:50:26 AM »

Okay, so for the last few months I haven't even THOUGHT about my bag-selling business, since I have had exams, holidays and work experience to deal with. But now I'm on summer holidays, and though I work in a cafe, I'm back to focusing my attention on my business.

I started up my website back in February, but still no sales. I think it's because I haven't advertised, as I don't know where to start. Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 02:32:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unique Handbags - by La La Unique!

Visit lalaunique.com to get your hands on these jaw-dropping, show-stopping, one-of-a-kind, unique bags!

Fresh designs and funky fabrics equal our 100% original style!
gilowyn
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007 09:03:17 AM »

I would suggest selling through Dawanda, since you are located in the UK. No listing fee, and no commission fee until September, I think - usually it's 5%. Plus, you are allowed to post your website address, sth Etsy won't allow.

Other than that, I would suggest getting local attention through shops, for example. Some businesses will also agree to display your stuff in their showcases, especially when they don't have own products in there - i.e. offices and services.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 10:14:20 AM »

One big thing I'm seeing on your site is a definite lack of pictures. You have to remember when selling online, folks can't touch your items.

Think about when you go to the store and purchase a new purse. Don't you open it up and look inside? Don't you look at the front and the back? Through pictures you have to show a potential buyer all the things we look at when buying a purse in person.

I would also suggest that you take the pictures against a white sheet of paper or sheet. The jagged edges from removing the backgrounds make it look like your purse edges are not straight.

I would work on getting more backlinks to your site and see if you can get some bloggers to talk your shop up. You are in a highly competitive market on the Internet with so many of the knock-off sites having huge budgets to spend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 10:26:23 AM »

You could try selling a few items on ebay to widen your customer base-- a LOT of people shop for purses there and will see yours.  Be sure to place links in your item descriptions that say "I have more bags on my website (insert address here)!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007 02:33:32 PM »

There are many, many topics on this board about advertising.  You may want to do a search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007 11:42:56 AM »

I agree about the forum search comment - people have posted tons of ideas about advertising.

Another thing that can take your website out of the loop is a lack of updating. If you let your website sit without making any changes for a while, the Net People will assume your site is non-active and ignore you. So visit it once in a while and post a new pic or...something to make it active.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheyElizabeth
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007 01:29:25 PM »

You could try selling a few items on ebay to widen your customer base-- a LOT of people shop for purses there and will see yours.  Be sure to place links in your item descriptions that say "I have more bags on my website (insert address here)!"

Ebay is a good place to get customers, however ebay will get really mad at you and delete your listings if you advertise your personal site there, its a big no no. However, you could sell on ebay and then include a business card when you ship the item that directs them to your site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007 03:55:51 PM »

Really?  I've seen tons of listings that do that, so I never knew it was against the rules... I suppose they just can't get to everyone since so many things are posted every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
CheyElizabeth
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007 04:37:18 PM »

Really?  I've seen tons of listings that do that, so I never knew it was against the rules... I suppose they just can't get to everyone since so many things are posted every day.

yeah, I had all my listings pulled one time cause I casually mentioned my website in the description. According to what I've learned from the ebay message boards, listings get pulled when people click the 'report' link at the bottom of the auction page, so if you get busted then it was usually from one of your competitors =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wfbears
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007 09:56:06 AM »

On ebay you can put a link to your website in your "About Me" page, that is fine with ebay, and I've gotten alot of hits to my website that way.  Just put something in your ad like "Click on my "about me" page to find out more about us and how to join our mailing list".

If you have your site listed in your ad someone can (and probably will) report it and then your auction will be pulled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come See More Bears Here!www.whiteforestbears.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebration Veggie Relish Tray Recipe
Lemon Thyme Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Pecan Crusted Oven Broiled Chicken Breasts Recipe
Country Style Pressure Cooker Green Beans Recipe
Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potato Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...