A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
821 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempt at decoupage IMG HEAVY  (Read 4669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007 07:01:58 AM »

I'm presuming that these are glass plates and that you decoupaged the papers on the backside (the underside) of them. I had no idea that you could buy clear glass plates in other than round shapes! Where did you find them? (anyplace that has a store in the US?)

Will you use them for serving food?

Will they be washable?

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuhbe
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007 03:21:25 PM »

I posted a question about just this kind of project, but didn't get any answers.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=181360.0

How do you keep the paper from getting all wrinkly around the "corners" and at the same time keep the pattern from going all wonky?  Anyone have any suggestions for glue?  I'd appreciate any help I could get!  Thanks in advance!

Excuse me but I can't understand exactly what you ask  Embarrassed  for this first plate I used a paper napkin, but I peeled to get only one coat of paper that's why it looked wrinkle, and second isn't wrikle, what you see "more yellow" is an effect of rice paper.

About glue I think I used Ultra Gloss by DecoArt, but I can't be sure because it was in a bottle without label, tomorrow I'll ask  Wink

Sorry if I can't be more useful for you, that's my first time and I have no idea about this technique I learn about day by day...

I'm presuming that these are glass plates and that you decoupaged the papers on the backside (the underside) of them. I had no idea that you could buy clear glass plates in other than round shapes! Where did you find them? (anyplace that has a store in the US?)

Yeah, they are glass plates decorated at the underside, I bought them at a dollar store, well, not really a dollar store because I live in Spain, but this kind of store you know  Smiley. Anyway it isn't difficult to find square plates, I saw them at kitchen-ware store, furniture store even at craft stores. I'm sure you won't have problems to find them Wink

Will you use them for serving food?

Will they be washable?

Great job!

No, they can't be used as common food plates, they are only for decoration uses

Thansk to all for your compliments  Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007 03:22:15 PM by Nuhbe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007 03:28:19 PM »

I absolutely want that second one! Beautiful plates!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007 03:32:06 PM »

I posted a question about just this kind of project, but didn't get any answers.

How do you keep the paper from getting all wrinkly around the "corners" and at the same time keep the pattern from going all wonky?  Anyone have any suggestions for glue?  I'd appreciate any help I could get!  Thanks in advance!

Excuse me but I can't understand exactly what you ask  Embarrassed  for this first plate I used a paper napkin, but I peeled to get only one coat of paper that's why it looked wrinkle, and second isn't wrikle, what you see "more yellow" is an effect of rice paper.

About glue I think I used Ultra Gloss by DecoArt, but I can't be sure because it was in a bottle without label, tomorrow I'll ask  Wink

Sorry if I can't be more useful for you, that's my first time and I have no idea about this technique I learn about day by day...

ank you for replying!  And for the glue information.  Maybe this is a better way to ask the question: because the plate is not flat on the bottom, doesn't the paper wrinkle when you wrap it up the sides?  It does nogt look wrinkled... so maybe that's because it is very thin paper?

This is the artist who inspired me to try to decoupage on glass.  He uses an epoxy to seal the bottom and I think that you could use them for appetizers and handwashing. http://johnderian.com/index_decoupage.html

I found a plain glass square plate at Linens 'n' Things or Bed, Bath, and Beyond - can't remember which.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftitup
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007 09:12:27 PM »

The first two are great. I don't like the last one too much. I'm not a fairy fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007 08:32:40 AM »

That's what's so cool about your art-you've done a style for everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Nuhbe
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007 02:35:09 PM »

ank you for replying!  And for the glue information.  Maybe this is a better way to ask the question: because the plate is not flat on the bottom, doesn't the paper wrinkle when you wrap it up the sides?  It does nogt look wrinkled... so maybe that's because it is very thin paper?

OOOOOOOOOOOk now I can undestand what you wanted to say, yeah, the truth is very difficult to keep straight the paper when you arrive at corners where plate is curved, but thin paper suits well (better than thick).
At the same time thin paper like I used easily got wrinkled and you have to be careful not to broke it when you smooth down.
Each paper has its pros and cons, the best thing you can do is experimenting and judge by yourself  Wink

This is the artist who inspired me to try to decoupage on glass.  He uses an epoxy to seal the bottom and I think that you could use them for appetizers and handwashing.

http://johnderian.com/index_decoupage.html

I found a plain glass square plate at Linens 'n' Things or Bed, Bath, and Beyond - can't remember which.

Next sunday I'll go to a resin workshop so I'll ask about Wink

balkandina Thanks a lot for your compliments!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boogirl1984
"If she wants to rock, she rocks. If she wants to roll, she rolls."

Carolina Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007 08:41:11 PM »

Those are beautiful and so unique!  Excellent work.  I love the first on the best, it's the style I'm trying to design my room around. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuhbe
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007 09:17:12 AM »

Thanks boogirl! I love that style too, I don't know  where do you live but if you have an Ikea store near it's easy to find vynil decals with this kind of drawings, good luck!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterbug12
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007 02:45:48 PM »

Wow!!!!! I love the fairy! Did you cut it out of a piece of paper, or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
DIY Colorful Foiled Eggs for Easter
How to Make Decoupage Eggs
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
How to Make Decoupage Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...