A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1st post-some FO's (Image heavy)  (Read 2105 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , mittens , shamrock , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melissafairy08
« on: July 26, 2007 10:35:09 PM »

Hello-
This is my first time posting my projects. Ive been knitting for about a year, so far a lot of small stuff. I am a pretty big perfectionist, so I like to master things before moving on to the next skill. Enjoy. Smiley

This was my first hat, orange is not my color but I like it anyways.

These are some arm warmers/fingerless gloves I made for my friend. They were really easy and fun, I want to experiment with different styles.

This is a garter I made for my friend's St Patty's Day wedding. It was deceptively easy.

Shamrock hair pin, also for the wedding. She called me two nights before the wedding and said she had forgotten to get something green to wear, and could I please make something. I came up with this, and she forgot to wear it. Oh well. Smiley

Baby hat for a baby who turned a week old just yesterday. Smiley Smiley She is amazing and precious, and this hat is still a bit too big. I LOVE baby hats!!!!

And the only item I have actually made for myself so far, the blasted $75 scarf. It is made from Touch Me chenille, if you have ever worked with it you know it feels like heaven but is actually of the devil. It is so hard to work with and twists and tangles constantly. I grossly underestimated the amount of yarn needed and had to make a few panicked trips through the area to find the correct lot #. It is pretty shiny, so it didn't photograph well. It is also the softest thing I have ever felt. Smiley

I am ready to move on to some bigger objects, I wanna try the lace bolero someone posted a while back, and then a cardigan from Dominitrix. Happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
poodra
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007 10:54:42 PM »

Nice job!  Is the yarn for the orange hat hand dyed? 
linda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is short, enjoy
Robsica
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 12:37:30 AM »

I wish I was a perfectionist, your stuff looks lovely! Unfortunately I'm a bit more slapdash...oh well. I love the shamrock, its so cute! And the garter's really nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bloggity blog blog...knitting and life Smiley - http://cognitofiesta.blogspot.com/

I'm Squirrellywrath on Ravelry!
princess_megs
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 08:27:57 AM »

I love all of it....but especially the garter!  I'm getting married next year and I think you've convinced me to make my own Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissafairy08
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007 09:29:27 AM »

Nice job!  Is the yarn for the orange hat hand dyed? 
linda

No, my aunt got it for me. I cant remember what it was called. It was really pretty, it had green and blue specs that you cant see in the picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissafairy08
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007 11:13:47 AM »

I love all of it....but especially the garter!  I'm getting married next year and I think you've convinced me to make my own Smiley
There's a really beautiful lace garter pattern that I just didn't have time to pull off. It is knit with thread on size 00 needles. If you message me I will find the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007 12:10:57 PM »

I LOVE the shamrock pin! Is it just regular yarn? It doesnt look it. Good job for your first attempts, you've got the basics now nothing can stop you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
melissafairy08
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007 12:23:57 PM »

I LOVE the shamrock pin! Is it just regular yarn? It doesnt look it. Good job for your first attempts, you've got the basics now nothing can stop you  Smiley

It's green ribbon, kind of like cotton tape but it's satin. I bought it out of desperation because my LYS had some really ugly green colors, but I'm glad I ended up with it. I made up that pattern using flower petals and some very inexact and messy stitching on the back to hold it all together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007 12:42:37 PM »

What stitch pattern did you use on the Touch Me scarf? It looks like 1 x 1 rib. Is it?

I'm about to embark on a Touch Me scarf and was going to do it in basket stitch. Yours looks pretty nice so maybe I'll do what you did....unless it's more tedious to do than basket stitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
melissafairy08
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007 12:58:50 PM »

What stitch pattern did you use on the Touch Me scarf? It looks like 1 x 1 rib. Is it?

I'm about to embark on a Touch Me scarf and was going to do it in basket stitch. Yours looks pretty nice so maybe I'll do what you did....unless it's more tedious to do than basket stitch!

I found that with the Touch Me, simpler is better, It's so unforgiving that if you use a texture it just looks poorly knitted and lumpy. I started out with size 10 needles and frogged it for looking sloppy (I told you I was a perfectionist!) My Aunt tried basket weave and it also looked sloppy. I finally settled on a 1x1 rib on size 7 needles. I ended up using 6 spools of yarn. I just finished a few weeks ago, but when it's cold enough to wear it I am sure I will decide it was worth it all.

Be warned, the Touch Me yarn twists and twists and I had to keep stopping to unravel my yarn.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have made a few more pieces but I always give the away before photographing them. I am not good at making things for myself. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 3/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 4/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 1/8
How to Crochet a Soap Holder
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...