A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make this beautiful lamp?  (Read 1852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2007 02:19:06 PM »

Anyone have ideas on how to copy this?  I am in looooove with it.

http://hometech.apartmenttherapy.com/hometech/lighting/moonstruck-light-028450
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007 02:29:42 PM »

I really have no clue (I'm new to crafting [sorta]) if this would work, but you could get some foam and shape it to a ball the carve your desig out. Or you could do the same with clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swaps: OPEN
My Wists
My Blog
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007 02:33:07 PM »

my first thought is - upside down goldfish bowl covered with polymer clay or paper clay. Then you can form the holes with an awl and sand down the edges after its baked. Then just gotta figure out a light source.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
crazygeniusgrl
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007 02:42:31 PM »

i have an idea! how about paper mache? i don't think i spelled that right, but it should work. when i was younger we would cover balloons with the paper mache stuff... then you could cut off the bottom to make it stand straight, and punch holes into it for the patterns you want. then of course, paint. ta-da! simple and easy. i might actually have to try this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" Step outside the narrow borders of what men call reality and you step into chaos... or imagination."
- Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
tatobuggy7
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007 09:02:13 PM »

Oh thanks a lot, now I want one too!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caclark4
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007 04:48:44 AM »

Wow!  What perfect timing!  I'm moving into a new apt next weekend and need new lamps.  I'm going to get a foam ball and then paper mache over it.  Then I will stencil my design and use an awl (or possibly a yarn needle) to punch out the design.  After I paint it and clear-coat it, I'm going to add a swag lamp kit (I love amazon.com) and hang it from my ceiling.  Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007 12:39:42 PM »

Please please PLEASE show us the finished product when you are done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kdjfda
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007 10:39:37 AM »

I have been staring at that damn picture for a half hour trying to figure out the best way to do it.  I want to make one so badly now!

I really like the idea of using a fishbowl, I just don't know how I would go about the pattern.  I was thinking of somehow taping off the pattern and painting it, but I have no idea how I could make a stencil that detailed.  Any ideas?

My other thought was to wrap the bowl in a thick fabric and burn the pattern into it, but I don't know if that's even remotely practical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007 05:02:44 AM »

Why not buy a cheap lamp with a paper shade from Ikea and punch holes in it-I know I've seen people at craftster cover those with paper drink umbrellas.It was a round globe shaped one,in the what can I do with this page.You could paint it first if you didn't like the plain white. Easier than coming up with the entire thing from scratch and wiring it for a lamp-you could just concentrate on your lovely design.
If you do create your own from scratch,keep in mind how hot the bulb gets.
OOH,I'VE GOT IT!!! The fishbowl idea-make your design with little sticky dots,paint it,peel off dots.Or make a stencil by using a paper punch for the holes.That would be better;I don't know how easily sticky dots peel off. Isn't there a kind of cheap worklight at hardware stores,that you could put under it? Or a string of xmas lights?Bowl upside down over the light,you might have to drill a hole for the cord.
Use a painted giant coffee can and punch holes,snip out a bit at the bottom for the cord.The website you gave with a pick for the lovely lamps had a comment about making those.The poster's grandfather would fill a can with water and freeze before puching holes to keep the can from denting.
Darn it,now I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007 05:26:48 AM »

I  thought  of the  paper mache that  has the designs  you want cut  out  or get a prefrosted light cover  like the ones  they  use on ceiling fans to cover the light (or drill holes  in it where  you need the  design  if  you know  how to drill glass).   and from the inside etch off the  design  you want.
clay  may  work well also.  definately wanna  see the  finished  product.

heres  what the  site  says  it  is:
"porcelain perforated, glazes - 25W/40W-gluehbirne, electrical inlet

` moonstruck` flares are poured out of porcelain and in still ` lederhartem` were entitled perforate each individual hole are by hand bored.

the samples are made with no template, therefore each ball is a little different - everyone unikat.

on use of a clear bulb the flower sample draws would wind on and takes off in the area - if this effect is unwanted, can a matte bulb be used.
 the balls are available in two variants"

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 05:30:41 AM by jloveg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Extended Look at a Great Game
Gambling 101 with Artie Lange
Mean Book Reviews with Artie Lange
Jet Black and the Ninja Wind
Carol Cassella: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...