A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,920
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FYI - Tetanus booster!  (Read 5586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

efitch
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005 12:45:35 PM »

The VFC program provides free immunizations for underinsured children, and because the government arranges those purchases, you don't have the availability issues that you do with adult vaccines (manufacturers don't make them if they won't be purchased, and they aren't purchased unless patients request/require them). 

However, for a while now, the makers of the tetanus vaccine have refused to bid on the VFC contracts becasue of price caps on how much the government will pay for the vaccine.  So there have been availability problems for childrens' tetanus vaccine, too. 

Tetanus isn't contagious, but it is often deadly, and there's no treatment for it, so boosters are a good thing, particularly if you travel to countries that don't have good sanitation. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogsrock
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005 11:01:07 PM »

i recently got mine (few months ago) because my school requires getting them every 10 years
anyways i got a really big hive on my arm from it *fun* damn thing itched sooooooooooo bad even the school nurse was shocked by it...
i went down to ask her about it and she made me call my mom and told her i had to get in to see the doctor that day...i didnt...
it took like a month at least to go away....

my grandpop also had had a reaction to it when he was younger so i guess it runs in familys....

if you think shots are fun try an allergy test
go off allergy meds for certain amount of time...(1 week? i dont rember)
pick arms or back
nurse draws dots with pen all over arms...and numbers
pricks every dot with allergy stuff, includeing a hystamine to make sure you havent been takeing allergy meds
even if your not allergic to anything all the dots with itch and the anti hystamine spot will get really big and itchy, it takes like a few weeks to totally go away

if you ever need one i suggest bringing anti-itch cream....and someone else to drive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzeeq
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005 08:26:33 AM »

My last tetanus shot was for a situation similar to the road rash incident mentioned earlier.  I tripped, fell and split my shin open on the sidewalk and skinned both knees.  I needed stiches, but I didn't think that a tetanus shot was all that important.  Until the nurse pointed out how people walk all kinds of places, then walk, with the same dirty shoes, right down that sidewalk.

Yeah, the pain was way worse than what I felt from my split chin.  At the time, I was a mechanic at a factory and wanted it in my leg (because I could sit to do most of my work and would be sitting because of the skinned knees, but I needed both arms.)  They wouldn't let me get it in my leg and work that night was something awful.

And I don't think the chicken pox vaccine is necessarily a bad thing.  My brother, who never had the chicken pox was scheduled to get one at the age of nineteen.  It was explained that at his age, chicken pox could cause death (rarely) and sterilization (more common.)  At 19, that might not seem like a big deal, but a simple shot is way better than dealing with fertility issues down the line.  Especially since he worked with elementary aged kids--a sure-fire way to be exposed.

It turns out he never got the vaccine though.  Before they give it, they test to see if you body already has chicken pox immunities (because if can be dangerous if you do--it isn't just given willy-nilly) And somehow, he already did.   Theories abound in our family on how the kid who never had the chicken pox had immunities to it, but truthfully, we'll probably never know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005 10:57:52 AM »

he may have gotten it and his immune system was tough enough that he never broke out in spots.

I got the two varieties (one then immediately the other as the tougher bug moved in after the weaker one wrecked havoc) and was sick for over a month, my next older brother had a mild fever for a coupe days but never showed any other symptoms.  Kids get short term unexplained fevers pretty commonly.  Here we had a whoopsie with a kid who had whooping cough (contagious too) but was only showing symptoms like a bad cold.  One of the teachers was observant and caught things before more than a few dozen kids got exposed.  I can imagine the havoc there would have been if she'd missed it  Embarrassed talk about aborting the start of school.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005 05:59:07 PM »

Question- 12 years old, vaccinated.  If I was to get chicken pox around now, wuld it be bad, or just like a litttle kid getting them?  Or am I just being weird about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005 08:57:31 AM »

It can be really dangerous if you get chicken pox when you're older, because you then run the risk of getting shingles, which is not very nice. One of my friends got it. (Well, he either had shingles or bunked off a LOT.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon - Part 3
How to Make Chocolate Epiphany with Chef Francois Payard
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
How To Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Pepper Crusted New York Steak
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...