A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FYI - Tetanus booster!  (Read 5085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arizabif
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004 04:06:15 AM »

I think the availability of tetanus shots depends on where you live.  Tetanus lives in soil, so if you are in an area where it's plentiful in the soil, you should probably get a booster every 10 years.  I think C. tetani is pretty common in Texas.  Not so common in Alaska. 

It can be passed on in animal poop, but unless you work with animals, you probably won't get it that way.  I work with animals, so I have to stay current, but if your only animal exposure is your family pet, it's really, really, really, really unlikely you'd get it from them. 

I'm surprised food workers would have to get a tetanus shot.  Tetanus isn't contagious.  I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you'd basically have to inject it into someone's veins for them to get it from you.  It's not passed on by sneezing or coughing.  Hmm. Weird.   

And yeah, the tetanus shot hurts like mad.  Hurts way worse than the rabies series, but that one ain't much fun either. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004 05:58:23 AM »

I know in some places the food workers need it in case they cut themselves w/ knives or whatever.
I had one 10 years ago (yikes! Its been that long?!). Its actually kinda funny. I was living in my then homestate of VA and I was swimming in the Dan River. Whilst frolicking in the watery goodness during summertime I stepped on something that HURT alot. I said "Ow, I just stepped on something hurty and now my foot is going numb". It didn't help that one of my fellow swimmers had just at that moment seen a water moccasin swimming away. So they decided to take me to the hospital, but I couldn't get out of the water because at that time my leg from the knee down was numb. As I was put into the car and driven to the hospital my leg from my thigh down was numb.
So after the nurse asks me the traditional questions in the emergency room, I am given a tetanus shot just in case.  To make a long story short I was not bitten by a snake, nor did I step on any sharp metal litter in the water......... No, I had stepped on a dead catfish and the venom from its whiskers is what caused my numbness- stupid fish.

I too thought you could only get tetanus from a stabby slashy pin pricky kind of wound- does anyone know for sure?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Caradea
Tutorial Contributor

former crocheter, avid photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004 10:17:40 AM »

I too thought you could only get tetanus from a stabby slashy pin pricky kind of wound- does anyone know for sure?

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/pink/tetanus.pdf

"C. tetani usually enters the body through a wound."

So it can be any break in the skin. Here my mom had me believing I could only get it from rusty objects.

"The spores are widely distributed in soil and in the intestine and feces of horses, sheep, cattle, dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs and chickens. Manure-treated soil may contain large numbers of spores. In argicultural areas, a significant number of human adults may harbor the organism. The spores can also be found on skin surfaces and in contaminated heroin."
PDF also says how it's very resistant to heat and disinfectant stuff, etc.
The CDC is the Center for Disease Control in the US so they should know their stuff pretty damn well.

So, now you know Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004 10:40:49 AM »

Great thread.......mine just expired and I am very, very klutzy.  Also you can tetanus from road rash and accidents in the dirt, as I discovered this spring when I had to take Mr. Boo to an ER for a horrid mountain biking accident.   GROSS!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DFCJEP
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005 05:26:54 AM »

Oh, just an FYI ~  You may want to verify with your doctor which booster shot you're receiving as a 5 year booster shot exists as well as the 10 year booster. Hmmm, that reminds me...I'm a bit overdue for mine  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gracella

I hope life isn't one big joke cuz I don't get it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005 07:35:51 AM »

Good heavens, here in Wisconsin, the county gives the kids their boosters for free!

we do? i didnt know that! go wisonsin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005 07:47:21 AM »

I will never forget the day of my last tetnus shot- my greaduation day!! After the ceremony a  few relatives came back to our house to have some sandwiches and waht not. A little later in the afternoon when most people were gone I decide to change for my nice clothes, as I was doing so in the closet(it was a huge walk in closet that we also used for storage since it was so large) I somehow managd to step on a fish hook!! Had to go to the hospital to have it removed & get a tetnus shot since it was probably about time for one anyway!! So at least I always remember when I had it(june of 1997)!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005 08:59:47 AM »

Holy wow! I had a tetnaus shot november 9 2001. I was in a fire with bad 3rd degree burns on my leg. Ick. At that time I hardly noticed the prick of the shot but I think its safe to say I was slightly distracted  Grin.
Im such a dork in respect of needles. I love my tattoo and want more, I think it is important to donate blood, but as soon as the doctor tells me I need a shot. *shudders*. My boyfriend is in the military and has to get shots for EVERYTHING (he even had an anthrax shot) and said that it isnt too bad as long as the alcohol evaporates. Hmmmm.
Im not too big on vacciences. My parents arent either. Our theory is that you should get it if it will kill you or make your life miserable. But if not, it is good for your immune system to fight it naturally. Like I think chicken pox vacciene is silly. I got them when I was really young so I dont even remember the itch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
sorchah
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005 04:50:11 AM »

i had one on my birthday...i really sucked...then i had a biopsy. if you ask me, the painkiller for that hurt worse than the tetanus. but maybe that's because two different nurses did them at the same time. so i have one nurse poking my arm, one sitting on my leg and another poking my foot then the docter is hovering with a hole puncher thing and a container that looks like a film canister...nice birthday present... Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karmic

They shoot heroin, don't they?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005 11:42:28 AM »

No, I had stepped on a dead catfish and the venom from its whiskers is what caused my numbness- stupid fish.

Off topic, I know, but that reminds me of a quote from The Simpsons..."Oh I wish, I wish I hadn't sat on that fish." Or, in your case, stepping on that fish. Yowch.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005 01:36:57 PM by karmic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sewing: Dealing with Thread Bunches Under Fabric
Choosing Patterns for Sewing
Choosing Fabric for Sewing
How to Sew a Button
Binding a Quilt
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...