A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Heeeeeellllllppppp... (or, "Another one for the Stitch 'n' Botch File"?)  (Read 1182 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004 06:52:45 PM »

Well I sat down and made my husband a wonderful knit watch cap.  I followed the pattern exactly, and finished the thing this evening.  This was my first "major" project using small needles, fine yarn, and a real pattern.  Well, before I sewed up the side, I put my beautiful creation on my head to model it.  Um, apparently I knit very tight, and shoulda probably used the tip that said if you are a tight knitter you should add on extra stitches.  My loving creation is about right for an adult, except for the edge (hem?) which is about the right size for a NEWBORN! Is there any way to fix this, or do I just write it off to experience and start again, thankful there's still 4 weeks till Christmas?

TIA
Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004 04:41:03 AM »

ok, deep breath.  if this is a hat in stockinette stitch, it's possible to fix.  i'm assuming what happened was that you cast on very tightly and your knitting gauge worked up from there.  what you need to do is unravel your cast-on edge.  do this by locating the yarn tail left over from your cast-on.  work this piece of yarn free along the entire edge and then for two more rows, slipping the newly freed stitches onto the same size needle that you used to knit the piece.  once you have the whole thing transferred, knit two rows downward, taking note of whether they will be knit or purl rows by the side of the piece that is facing you.  (bumpy side= purl, smooth "v" side= knit.)  now, cast off EXTREMELY loosely, and if your hat is salvageable, it will be saved.  seam, and hope for the best.  if the hat is knit in a pattern stitch, this method will cause the hat to be 1/2 stitch off when you knit it downward.  i'm really not sure why this is, but i've tested it and it's true, not to mention a little weird.  also, if the hat is still too small after this correction, it is also possible to knit somethiing called a gusset that will fit into your seam invisibly.  do this by casting on as many stitches as it will take to correct the sizing difference, knitting a small strip, decreasing at the top in line with the hat, and sewing two seams instead of one, including the gusset and a little cheating to make your time spent worthwhile.  hope that helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004 11:21:58 AM »

girlypirate, I had never though of adding a gusset in the seam. that is a really hot idea.

and since i am using craftster to procrastinate on photoshop work, i made a little diagram to explain the half-stitch thing.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2004 11:24:06 AM by ookpik » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004 01:20:38 PM »

ack!  i get it!  thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mthompson828

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004 02:11:22 PM »

Thank You Thank You Thank You!  I will be trying this tonite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diane Von Furstenberg Designs First Archive Collection
Samii’s Beach Fashion Haul
Style Council Nataliee’s Summer Beach Haul!
Under $20 Spring/Summer Finds
Style Council Ellie’s Top Beach Picks!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...