A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: comic book jewelry  (Read 24578 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wordie
« on: January 21, 2004 08:47:50 PM »

huzzah and i recently made all kinds of jewelry out of old spiderman comics. i only have pictures of the final results, but the process is pretty straightforward.

first we made earrings by cutting out text balloons, laminating them with contact paper, inserting eyelets (the kind that are marketed for use on paper), and threading them through french hooks.  on a few pairs, we also did decorative stitching around the edges. the end results (plus a pair of ancient canadian postage stamps that we found in an old tin):

the earrings as they are meant to be seen:

we also made cuffs out of scrap fabric and isolated panels from the comic books. the first part of the process (laminating) was the same. we sewed the fabric into rectangles of the appropriate size and then sewed the panels onto them. then we used the same eyelets to create corset-style lacing on the backs.  we used ribbons and cords for the laces.

huzzah modeling:

finally, we used the basically the same process to make a necklace from america's finest news source, weekly world news:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004 08:52:12 PM by wordie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
huzzah

Hiding in an Oreo factory? Could be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004 11:36:39 PM »

Whoops, those photos are pretty darn big... I'll resize 'em.

Man, that "simul-feeling" panel cracks me up every time.  The guy on the silver sparkly one is saying "Push one button and it all ends," which is pretty cool too.  It was surprisingly easy to find interesting comic panels of the right shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AFSClaire
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004 03:19:00 PM »

I call for more shocking crafts involving the Weekly World News!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wordie
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004 04:03:38 PM »

I call for more shocking crafts involving the Weekly World News!

it could be a craftster challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004 04:20:53 PM »

gosh wordie - you look so much like this girl mary that lives here in kansas city - it's freaky. they say everybody has a twin...

anyway - your jewelry is awesome - and i agree, the wwn is under-utilized. how 'bout wallets? like the comic book wallet string? i made some wallets out of an old cookbook with super cheesy illustrations and they are awesome. i think the wwn would rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
Bettie

* some girls have glitter in their veins*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004 06:01:19 PM »

okay first i must say i love your hair (both of you lovely ladies) and secondly you're jewelry is soo hott! i never would've thought to use comics for jewelry, what a beautiful idea, great job girlies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

well behaved women rarely make history...
wordie
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004 06:42:30 PM »

thanks, bettie! i'm blushing. we got lucky and inherited a whole box of old comics, so the projects may be endless.

and secondhandsmoke, huzzah is currently working on a wallet using some of the same ideas, i think... when she's done we can compare notes.

(also, if mary looks like the one with blue and violet hair, that's huzzah. i (wordie) am the one with red and brown.)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
huzzah

Hiding in an Oreo factory? Could be!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004 03:22:04 AM »

Apparently I look like everybody... at least everybody with funny hair.  As of tonight, that includes Bette Midler.  Some drunk old lady in IHOP told me I looked like her, and from what I could gather, it was because she's done something odd with her hair.  At least, I hope that's the only reason, since she's about 60.

I am working on a wallet in the same vein, made mostly of fabric with sewn-on comic panels (though it'd be easier if I waited to inherit a friend's sewing machine -- the cuffs are hand-sewn, but they're small).  You could probably make an all-WWN wallet using the techniques in the comic strip wallet thread.  

I also made wordie a picture frame for xmas using flat marbles glued to circles cut from WWN (focusing on classic words like "Elvis" and "aliens").  I think we may eventually make great strides towards remedying the underutilization of the Weekly World News.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004 05:53:22 AM »

lol Grin
yes, i think you're right, huzzah-the wwn is underutilized-i'm gonna get me a copy today-thanks for the fun ideas!  and you don't look anything like bette!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004 10:12:35 AM »

they are super-fabby!!  Grin

i'm so inspired... my rather wonderful boyfriend has just bought me a laminator so i'm raring to go... plus i have a few old comics lying around, and a ton of wwn...

weee! can't wait!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FullyRaw Fruit Popsicle Recipe
How to Make a Gluten Free Chocolate Mousse
No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Lemon-Ginger-Mint Cookies Recipe
4 Great Bacon Desserts
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...