A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 311,414
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *img heavy* The bestest purse i've made yet! and another one!  (Read 2758 times)
Tags for this thread: purse , reversible  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2007 10:15:26 AM »

made these last night:

this is my favorite purse. ever.

reversed:

matching coin purse:

second bag:

has a pocket with a vertical dividing seam, making one narrow and one wide, and then the narrow one has a seam across it, a few inches from the bottom, making it less deep so cell phones don't get lost in it:

and it's also reversable:

thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007 11:31:28 PM by Hellga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
mintlatte
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007 10:23:37 AM »

Um, yeah... only that this is absolutely adorable!!!! I LOVE it!!

Do you mind letting me know what you used to interface it?  It has GREAT body and shape......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007 10:28:35 AM »

it's pellon craft interfacing, i believe it's medium weight...i'm not sure, though! i bought it yesterday at the HUGEST joann's store i've seen, ever, and it was so big and disorienting that i just grabbed the first one i came across and stumbled to the counter!

also, i LOVE it. i should have more info tomorrow, as i plan to go back today or tomorrow and get more...i only bought 3 yards...and it's only $1.99 per yard, so i'm gonna get 4 or 5 more yards for future projects!

thanks for the compliments, also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007 10:34:09 AM »

i especially like the first one...the fabric is so cheerful and you can wear it with so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007 10:47:06 AM »

These are great! I especially love the first one! I've knit and crocheted plenty of purses, but never sewn one. Was the first one difficult to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
incurvate

Check out myspace.com/impequeimagery !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 10:48:27 AM »

So beautiful & cute! I love both fabrics, too-- where'd you get it?

Also, as a random side note, the dumbo octopus is so neat! Cheesy Did you find that on notcot a while ago?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liz

Check out my crafting MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/impequeimagery
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 10:50:16 AM »

These are great! I especially love the first one! I've knit and crocheted plenty of purses, but never sewn one. Was the first one difficult to make?

no, actually, it was really easy...i made the lining and the outer fabric as per the jordy tutorial, then made the flap (sewn RST, turned out, topstitched) as wide as the bottom of the bag, and about as long as the bag. handle was just a standard tube, RSO, topstitch deal, put it all together, and sewed the edges, turned RSO, edgestitched. hope that doesn't sound too complicated, it was REALLY easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007 11:23:21 AM »

I like it a lot! The material is very pretty, and I really, really like the size. Good idea with the cell phone pocket, I hate digging for it, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mtaplusone

Women Who Strive to Be Equal With Men Lack AMBITIO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007 01:27:32 PM »

I love it!  I am working on my first jordy myself.
Would you mind sharing more details about how you assembled the flap onto the bag?  I love the idea and would like to imitate it on my next bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007 03:15:42 PM »

So beautiful & cute! I love both fabrics, too-- where'd you get it?

Also, as a random side note, the dumbo octopus is so neat! Cheesy Did you find that on notcot a while ago?

thanks! the fabrics were both from joann's, in the apparel section (i believe) with the linings coming from the solid quilting fabric row. as for the dumbo octopus, isn't it cute? i actually got it from www.thedeepbook.org where there are some amazingly awesome pictures of deep-see creatures, some of which have never been clearly photographed ever before! i'm absolutely fascinated by that sort of thing, and stumbled across it while searching for pics of bioluminescent fish (because i'm a huge dork, of course).

I love it!  I am working on my first jordy myself.
Would you mind sharing more details about how you assembled the flap onto the bag?  I love the idea and would like to imitate it on my next bag.

okay, in the actual jordy tutorial, on step 8, when you pin the lining and the outer fabrics together?

at this step, while you're also pinning the strap into place, you want to pick a side (usually the same side as an interior pocket, unless it's gonna be reversible, in which case you want it on the opposite side, trust me) and pin the flap in, pointing down, so that the raw edge is up (same way the handle is). also, you can center it by lining it up with the boxed corners at the bottom (at least, that's what i do), so that it is nice and straight.

basically, when you make a jordy bag, everything that will be outside the bag when it's done (handle, flap, little tab for a button-closure, etc.) needs to be inside when you sew around the top. also, i've found that it's much much easier to leave an opening at the top and turn it out through that, than to leave a bottom corner unsewn. just make sure to backstitch on either side of the opening (like, backstitch an inch at the beginning of sewing around, come all the way around the bag, stop 3 inches from where you started, backstitch again.) i really hope this makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Breaking In To Artist Studios Inspires The Artists
Disney Princesses Used for Sexual Abuse Awareness
Glenn Talks to Rebel Artist SABO
OWN Minute: What Is Your Authentic Self?
New Monopoly Rules
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...