A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat stand in progress (long post!)  (Read 3850 times)
Tags for this thread: display  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2007 09:02:07 AM »

I'm posting this here because, eventually, it will be a finished project. I need some help first, though! I'm making a hat stand and I think I've got it all figured out, but I'm unsure about attaching my hat form.

First, I started with the basic idea that I wanted something sturdy: PVC. I was going to make right angles for my "arms" to hold the hats on because I didn't want the spokes to interfere with how my hats would sit on them. I couldn't figure out how to make the joints, though, so I went with angled pieces. I measured the PVC where I wanted holes and drilled them. Then I had to drill them on an angle so the arms would come out correctly. I cut some dowels for the arms and put them in. I thought I would need some liquid nails to keep the arms in place, but they really stay in the stand quite snugly.

It was plain and  ugly, so I decided I needed some spray paint.  I went with black. Believe it or not, I've never spraypainted before (and I also dont own a glue gun. I know, I'm a heretical crafter) so this wasn't easy. My feet ended up with black splotches on them (as well as my legs and hands) but in the end it all worked out.

I dont have a picture of the "finished" spray painted stands, though, sorry. The paint is sort of drippy in spots and theres one smaaaall strip of splotchy paint on one of the pipes, but honestly.. don't care.

The base of the stand was another difficulty. I looked around a bit, and I finally decided on a toilet flange screwed to a plywood base. Turns out, the toilet flange in the size I needed was $21. For one. And I needed two. No. Way. So I went a different route when someone suggested I use pots/vases/etc. I picked up these two vases at Hobby Lobby for $2 each on clearance. They weren't my first choice, and the other one I bought is actually chipped on one of the flower petals, but they're okay. I really wanted this awesome drippy glaze red one, but they only had one left in stock. I could have gone with mismatched pots, but the only others that were around weren't really matchy, even for mismatched. I've also got a couple piece of fabric in the picture, but you can ignore those Wink

Now... how do you fit a 1.5 inch PVC pipe into a 6 inch hole without it moving around? I needed something to keep it in place, and the same person who suggested a pot, also suggested sand or some such to weight it down (I love my friends, so useful and helpful and good looking). Well, I bought some sand at Lowes (funny story about that, I went in and had to get some tiiiiny nails, some temporary pvc caps for the other end of this thing, and some sand, but the power had gone out! they were slowly coming back up, but their computers were still down so they were writing all their receipts by hand. I was honest about prices to the best of my ability because, ya know, as my 9th grade english teacher said, the guilt will eat you up inside and then you die. buuuut, I wasnt sure exactly on a couple things so she just gave me the lowest price I said. Sweet deal/) to put in the bottom of the vase, but I knew it wasn't going to hold it steady enough, so I made some frames.

It actually worked! It holds up my hat stand! its actually starting to look like it could hold hats! I was very excited, and the boyfriend thought I was crazynuts. And not in the fun loving, cute way, either. eh.

Next step, possibly the most difficult? Making and attaching the "hat form" part of the hat stand. you know.. the little circley part that hats sit on to keep their shape and be supported. Yeah. I found some plastic mesh shapes ( http://www.darice.com/ecom/ProductDetails.aspx?it=33005&oid=12800 ) at Hobby Lobby on the cheap and they were almost the perfect size. I decided after a day or two that they were too flimsy and pitched 'em, but not before tracing the shape onto some foam board. I found some wine-ish red faux leather (only about a yard, got it cheapcheapcheap as a remnant a few years ago) and attached it
 to the foam board (via my ever wonderful Swingline stapler. i swear I use that thing more to craft with than to staple papers with... don't take my stapler. You knows what happens when you steal the Swingline stapler). The underside is very messy and I need to come up with a way to cover it to make it less messy, but right now thats the least of my problems.

Now, FINALLY, heres my issue: how the hell do I attach these things?! My first thought was a little hole, some liquid nails, and a lot of balance. I dont think that'll hold up to the weight of some of my hats, though. Then I thought, sculpey. Make some sculpey forms and glue them to the base with liquid nails (gawd, have I mentioned how much I love liquid nails?!), then glue them to the stick with it, as well. But that would use a lot of sculpey as I need 16 (8 bases per stand, two stands) forms. Now Im thinking foam.. glue the foam to the base, and stick the foam onto the dowel to get the correct angle, then take it off, glue the dowel, stick the foam back on. but foam isnt very durable. I just basically need it to stay on the dowel without coming off. Obviously the dowels come out at an angle, and I need the form to lay horizontally, so the form won't be making a right angle with the dowel. ugh!

Suggestions? Maybe I could wire wrap something... not a bad idea, actually. then I would be able to continue the wire wrapping around the hatstand itself. I plan on decorating it as it is, but I dont know!

EDIT:

I used little wooden blocks (drilled into them on an angle) and glued then with liquid nails to the dowels. I also already glued the forms to the blocks and I think Im going to wrap bulky black yarn along the bottom (the idea in my head looks good, but I think it loses something iin translation...)

Still not done! it needs decoration
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007 09:03:25 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007 09:06:58 AM »

Hmmm....I like the foam idea. What about plaster? Or something like a toilet plunger from the dollar store with the wide part glued to the bottom of the base and the part where the handle goes glued to the dowel? You'd have to find a way to make the hole smaller and sturdy. Fill it with resin and stick the dowel in? Hmmm....
*puts on thinking cap*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007 09:12:26 AM »

Ive never worked with resin before, and I dont know if I should attempt it for the project. A plunger is a great idea! But I dont think there are any small enough, as my forms are only about... 4.5 inches across. Plus, I'd have to buy 16 of them and I dont have much money left for the project! But that would also solve my problem of finding something to cover the bottom of the form... though it might be diffiult to get it on the base on an angle. or not! cut a hole in the side of the plunger at the correct angle... maybe stuff it with some stuffing (gawd knows Ive got LOADS of the stuff Ill never use) to keep the dowel mostly in place..
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007 09:14:31 AM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007 09:15:07 AM »

What about that green florist foam?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007 09:20:42 AM »

Thats the type of foam I was thinking of using, but Im not sure. if Im worried about it flaking or crumbling, I could always decoupage it. Actually, Id have it.. it certainly doesnt match the color scheme of the stand Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 09:26:30 AM »

What about that insulation foam in a can stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 11:29:50 AM »

You could collect some wine corks.  Shove the dowel in the end where the corkscrew went in, slice the alternate end at an appropriate angle (I use a breadknife for this) so your hat doohickeys will sit level and liquid nail the doohickeys on.  You could spray paint the corks black to match, and they'd be less crumbly than florist foam... plus they're free if you drink wine (or know anybody who does).  Black felt circles (or spraypanted cardboard) glued to the back of your round hat doohickeys would cover the staples and blend in with everything else.
That's my two cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007 12:06:36 PM »

corks! I would gladly contribute to the acquiring of corks from wine bottles, but my boyfriend is allergic to the preservatives in wine. drat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007 12:43:38 PM »

Holy moly.  No wine - ouch.  If you go to a Make-Yer-Own wine place, they may sell you some un-used corks on the cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007 12:44:16 PM »

I'm sure SOMEONE you know would be willing to take one for the team!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Match Your Hair to an Oval Face
How to Style Straight Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Thick Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Fine Thinning Hair to a Round Face
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...