A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,913
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Futurama Shirt  (Read 4139 times)
Tags for this thread: futurama , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Samela2281
« on: July 25, 2007 08:55:53 AM »

So I made my boyfriend another Futurama shirt because the first one I did for him: (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=163906.0) he didn't wear because it's white and he just doesn't wear white.  What kind of heavy metal lead singer would he be in white?

Basically, I just made stencils for every color out of a sheet of masking tape cut with an exacto knife.  I'm not a great stenciler, but I think I did pretty decently. 

This was the first one and it's the same process for all of them.  I would just take a piece of wax paper and stretch the masking tape across it one piece after another, overlapping by half to make a sheet of it.  Then I would put the part I was going to cut out underneath and exacto it out.  Then peel the tape off the wax paper and lay the tape straight onto the fabric.  You can even put tape on top of painted areas after about 30 minutes.

And here's his smiling face because he's thrilled to have me as a girlfriend.  Wink

The text reads, "YOU'RE NOT NICE!"  A quote from The Robot Devil in the episode The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings when Fry tells him that he won't give him his hands back. 

If you want more pictures of the process lemme know and I'll do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss-Stitchdependent
Crafty is as Crafty Does

I dig skinny pale guys, no seriously I do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007 09:08:50 AM »

great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007 09:30:23 AM »

Oh my god!! That's amazing! It looks completely professional.

(But...you can't just have your boyfriend announce how he's feeling. That makes me feel angry!  Wink Grin)

(god I hope you get that  Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Samela2281
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007 11:39:51 AM »

(But...you can't just have your boyfriend announce how he's feeling. That makes me feel angry!  Wink Grin)

Heck yeah I got it!  And I laughed hysterically too!  You should be proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_christine
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007 12:38:01 PM »

I love it! That's an awesome shirt. I loved that episode too. I found a font of Futurama pics so i've been wanting to make a shirt too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 04:44:40 PM »

Heck yeah I got it!  And I laughed hysterically too!  You should be proud.
Yippee! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
Red Fumes
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 09:40:02 PM »

That is so awesome! I love the Robot Devil  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pheebly
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007 10:27:20 PM »

Okay... this shirt... TOTALLY ROCKS.

The Robot Devil (and *that* episode) are some of my favorite things from Futurama!

I would so love some more information on how you made this shirt. A tutorial would be amazingly kind and generous of you!

I'm just still in awe of that shirt. Want to make matching ones... one for me... one for my boyfriend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007 07:28:27 PM »

Holy. Cow.  That is AWESOME.  Futurama is one of my favorite tv shows...and that shirt is GREAT!! You did such an awesome job. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
Samela2281
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007 10:00:59 AM »

My Stenciling Tutorial

I first have to say that this is probably not a very effective way of making a stencil, but I tend to like to do things myself and figure out faster and better ways of doing it without much help from others.  I feel more accomplished that way.  Also, I'm not very good at stenciling, so those who do it often and well will probably think I'm nuts for going through all the effort to do it this way.
Step 1:

Pick the image that you want to stencil onto your shirt, bag, hat, etc.  Either draw it yourself or print it out.  A dark black outline on white with no other colors makes it easier to see later.

Step 2:

Lay a piece of wax paper over your design, I think the side that's rolled on the inside tends to be a little waxier, but maybe that's just me.  I put this side up because it's less likely to stick to the tape.

Step 3:

Take a piece of masking tape and stretch it across the very top of the design so that at least half of it is above the top of the design.  You don't want to press this down onto the wax paper because it makes it harder to peel off later.  Just stretch it so that it lays flat.

Step 4:

Do the same thing again, only this time lay the piece of tape half on top of the first piece so that they're overlapping.  I do this so that it makes it one sheet of tape in the end.

Step 5:

Just continue doing this until your whole design is covered in two the layers of tape.  I'm a perfectionist and try to get my tape to line up perfectly so that it's all the same thickness.  It makes it easier for me to cut later.

Step 6:

Use an exacto knife or other kind of craft knife to cut out the inside shape of your design.  This inside piece can be discarded unless you're doing a reverse stencil.  While you're cutting try not to press on the tape too much because that will make it harder to peel the wax paper off.  If you need to put some pressure to keep your hand steady try to do it inside the design because that's the part you're not going to use.

Step 7:

Slice down the sides of the design so that you're cutting the tape away from the paper the design was printed on.  The paper should just fall away so that you've got your stencil of tape and wax paper.

Step 8:

Turn your stencil over so that the wax paper is on top and start to peel that away from the tape.  If you haven't put too much pressure on it, it should peel up easily.  Otherwise it will stick a little more than you'd like and will be more difficult.  If it tears and you have a portion still there use the point of your knife to start lifting the corner again until you can peel it with your fingers.  Try not to touch the tape too much because then it gets less sticky. 

Step 9:

Line it up on your shirt or whatever you're printing on and tape it down into place.  This is why I used tape to do this.  It's cheap and stays in place very well.  I use the other end of my knife to press the inside edges down very hard so that they stick better.  This keeps the leaks out better, but it's still not foolproof, a good stencil technique is the best way.

Step 10:

Paint.  I don't know the best technique for stenciling, so it's best that you find one that's more reliable.  I used TULIP Dimensional Fabric Paint.  You can find it in the wal-mart craft section or probably any craft store.  There are a million colors and there are also different brands that I'm sure will work very well.  I also know that there are adhesives that you can spray on regular stencils and get the same effect, and there are plastic stencils that you can create your own design on, but I don't want to mass produce the things I make, so I don't want something that permanent.  Plus, if I made a plastic stencil for every piece that I did on the robot devil I would need a lot of sheets of plastic.  Tape is a little cheaper, I think.

Step 11:

Peel off the tape after at least a half hour and admire your work.  If any paint leaked around the edges you can find a color that matches the color of your shirt in a matte finish and paint over it with a paintbrush. It doesn't disappear, but it makes it very difficult to see unless you're really examining it. 

If you're doing more than one color like the robot devil one I suggest making a new stencil for every color.  It's more work, and sometimes hard to line up, but I think it made it come out far better than if I were to try to make one big stencil with teeny tiny little lines of tape separating the colors.

I really hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Fabric Painting Stencils
How to Paint Designs On A Piggy Bank
How to Create a Painted Mug
How to Use Fabric Glitter Liner Pens
How to Use Fabric Paints
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...