A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3 New Pocket Diapers For Today, Fleece and Wool  (Read 3001 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 24, 2007 09:02:53 PM »

amelia's new dipes i made today!
  the fleece ones are what she usually wears, since birth. she has the other waterproof ones i've had in other posts mostly to have fabric match an outfit, or for sleeping in.
 i keep getting questions about diapers, there's alot of information elsewhere on the net, i don't know how i could possibly explain it all... but these are pocket diapers. removable soakers go in a pocket, pretty much an elasticized opening in the back waist seam. soakers are made of various things, the 2 in the pocket i'm stuffing in the picture are a homemade one of layers of terry and flannel, and a microfiber shop towel, weird, but common, extremely absorbant!
 the ability to remove the soakers tremendously speeds up drying time, compared to having all in one diapers, where your soakers are sewn into your diaper. and separate dipes and covers just seem like too much work to me! plus cotton against baby's skin stays wet and causes rashes...
 fleece doesn't absorb moisture, it wicks it through the dipe away from the baby's skin, onto the soakers, baby feels dry, doesn't get diaper rash. fleece rocks. you use microfleece for inner layers, and heavier fleece to be a waterproof outer layer.
 the third diaper is an experimental wool pocket diaper, i don't know how that will go, never tried it before...

diaper front-

diaper back-

inside fleece dipes, soakers in  pocket opening-

better pic of stuffing the pocket!-

and that's it, that's the WHOLE DIAPER! no, it's not a cover, no, there aren't cotton diapers to go in it... just the pocket dipe, and the soakers!

-the end

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007 09:04:42 PM by ammasmama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

purplekappa
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007 09:10:39 PM »

Those look great, I like the skull fabric. I used cotton flannel for my diapers, but you made good points about using the fleece and explained the whole thing very well--thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 09:36:33 PM »

alot of cloth diapering mamas i know use cotton diapers with covers, i've just never been attracted to the idea of using them... and i know quite a few who use a fleece liner in their cotton dipes. i love fleece for diapers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhandbags
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007 11:59:30 PM »

Thank you so much for explaining the cloth diaper/soaker/pocket.  It makes a lot more sense now.  One question, when you put the soakers into the pocket, is the soaker all sewn together or did you just fold the layers together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007 05:07:21 AM »

Thank you so much for explaining the cloth diaper/soaker/pocket.  It makes a lot more sense now.  One question, when you put the soakers into the pocket, is the soaker all sewn together or did you just fold the layers together?

the contoured soakers that are terry,flannel, and a layer of fleece are sewn together. some of the microfiber towels are sewn into thirds and a rectangle of waterproof fabric added to the bottom, and some of the towels are just folded.
 they're made all different ways, but the fewer layers, the faster they dry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 10:23:34 AM »

You inspire me so much with all these cute cloth dipes you've made!  I've been too scared to make mine!  I have PUL around for over a year but still don't dare use it, LOL.

Cute stuff!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 12:12:19 PM »

You inspire me so much with all these cute cloth dipes you've made!  I've been too scared to make mine!  I have PUL around for over a year but still don't dare use it, LOL.

Cute stuff!!

the sewing itself isn't bad, it's just all the research involved! but if you already have PUL, you should pretty definitely know enough to be able to make a functional diaper! and it's addictive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HeyCarrieAnn
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007 12:58:22 PM »

the skulls are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brian-sue
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007 03:03:04 PM »

Do you use a pattern for these, or did you rub the pattern from a commercial cloth diaper? I'm planning to use clother diapers, but haven't really done much research yet and I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the choices. Does the one waterproof layer really prevent the entire diaper from getting soggy/wet/leaky? Also, do you use some sort of liner to deal with BMs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007 03:26:00 PM »

Do you use a pattern for these, or did you rub the pattern from a commercial cloth diaper? I'm planning to use clother diapers, but haven't really done much research yet and I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the choices. Does the one waterproof layer really prevent the entire diaper from getting soggy/wet/leaky? Also, do you use some sort of liner to deal with BMs?

the waterproof layer works, cloth dipes just get changed more frequently. one more reason baby won't get rash! these were from the free ottobre pattern, if you go to the ottobre site and scroll to the left through the free patterns, it's there. i didn't follow their directions, just used the shape. i've also used the free mama bird pattern, you'll find it if you google it.
 you can use "rice paper" (not really ricepaper, but flushable/biodegradable) liners and just flush the poop if you want. fleece doesn't stain, and newborn poopy just goes in the wash as is with most people. i scrape off some and the rest washes off...they make sprayers you can hook up to the water at the base of your toilet to spray poop into the toilet too...
 aaargh! late! i gotta go to the county fair, i can't even spell check this... sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Incredibly Clever Holiday Treat Hacks
Whoopie Pie Donut Recipe
Spiced Rum Apple Pie Recipe
How to Make Arroz Con Leche with Stewed Plums
How to Make Meringue Christmas Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...