A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watchband re-con with TUTE!  (Read 2825 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Digital Duck

*Stina loves her gadgets even though they run amok

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2007 12:47:53 AM »

I had this great watch and then the band totally fell apart on me, but I loved the watchface, so I grabbed some stuff out of my stash and made a new one!  ta-da!

Old watch (how sad! Cry boo-hoo)

New Watch (yay!  Grin)

Sorry you can't really see the pattern in that pic, it looks like this:

I'm especially proud because I did it without any kind of tute, just winged it.  *London Tipton style* Yay Me!!!

*skips off*

TUTORIAL!
I figured I should provide one so luckily I took pictures as I went along the first time.  So you will need 4 pieces of fabric, snaps and grommets (optional).  I used a Home Decor fabric, it's cotton but it's a heavier weight than your standard quilting or novelty cotton.  If you want to use a thin cotton, I highly recommend using interfacing to support the weight of the watchface; as it stands, the band I made probably could have done with some interfacing...

Like in the pic right up above, you cut 2 pieces about 10"x3" (measure around your wrist first and then adjust accordingly) and then two smaller pieces that will attach the watchface to the band.  I made mine about 1.5"x2" but this is really dependent upon the width of the rods on the watchface, so just adjust.

First off, take the smaller pieces and fold them into thirds, fit them through the watch rods to make sure they are the right width and that the watch won't slip around.  I had to press the heck out of the folds so that it could stay down.

Then you press under the short ends about a quarter of an inch.  What I did at this point was add a white grommet to the front side of each one, but it's purely for decoration, it's not an absolute must.

Now you put the two little connectors onto the watch rods like in the picture and you sew the ends closed.  It might be kind of tough because at this point, you're basically sewing through about 12 layers of fabric, so make sure you've got a halfway decent needle.

Now I dont have a picture of this particular step, but you're going to sew the face to one of the larger rectangles.  You have to sort of fidget around and figure out where you want the placement to be and sew it down.

Then, take your snaps and just sew those puppies on there.  Make sure they're close to the edge so you don't have some floppy piece of fabric sticking out at the end.  Make sure you have the placement right and that when you turn the watchband your snaps meet.

Lay the two rectangles together, right sides facing, and sew the two long ends and one short end because you're going to have to turn it inside out.

Be careful when you turn it, I almost thought I was going to break the little connectors off, so be patient.

Once you turn it, just do a blind stitch to close the opening and voila!  New watch!  Hope this is a decent tutorial, have fun!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007 12:39:33 PM by Digital Duck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alyce1611
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007 01:08:16 AM »

that is genius! great fabric too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 01:29:27 AM »

I have just the watch for this, thanx for the idea.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amiemoo
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007 04:33:26 AM »

Oh oh oh!  I have about five broken watches laying around that I could do something like this with.  Did you use stretchy fabric or is there a fastening of some kind?  It looks awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mayita
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007 06:54:06 AM »

Great Job!!
I absolutely love it.

Can you provide a tutorial?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xbostonvanillax
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007 08:09:36 AM »

cute. (haha london tipton style)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loving since summer '07 <3
thainalima
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007 06:42:53 PM »

I was wondering what I could do with my old watch.  Roll Eyes  Thanks for the great idea

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007 09:50:46 AM »

Great work and tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
purpleone
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007 09:52:47 AM »

LOVE this idea thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seca Tus Uñas En Segundos.
How to Do an Autumn Copper Eye Makeup Look
The Monday Makeover - Cat Eye Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - Highlighted Face Tutorial
Three Tricks to Achieve Bold Brows with Jeanine Lobell
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...