A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show off you giant veggies or just your green thumb  (Read 6807 times)
Tags for this thread: garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007 07:49:00 PM »

We caught the mad bunny Thumpy today...which is very good for her continued life since she had started on my Kentucky Wonder beans which are my babies. Ears are forming on the stalks in my little corn field (about a dozen plants Roll Eyes ) and my tomatoes have finally fruited. The winter squash and pumpkins are spreading insanely. Be sure to check out this thread,too Smiley-lots more crafty gardens
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=159856.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
pixing
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007 03:30:09 AM »

Fried green tomatoes are the easiest thing in the world. Here's a tute. Smiley

Wow is that all there is?  I've never even had them, but I love the movie  Cheesy

Anyway - thanks so much! I usually have buttermilk around for chicken or pancakes - I will definitely give them a try. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joiedemusique

I heart all crafts

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007 07:46:59 PM »

Ohh how exciting--I just now discovered the gardening category!

Here are my little plants (this is early in the morning, they get much more sun than this throughout the day):

Banana Peppers:

Tomatos:

My husband and I thought it would be interesting to try "container" planting, and we're really glad that we did. Our potted veggies were originally sitting in our yard along our flower bed, but just last week we noticed a groundhog digging around under our shed! Eeeee!!!! So we moved the plants to the safety of our deck/balcony. These pictures were taken then, and the plants have become a little yellow-leafed since.... hmm.... Needs more watering, maybe?

Interesting recipe for fried green tomatos, redforkhippie. I think I will try the buttermilk next time, I hadn't heard of that before and it sounds really good.

My recipe for fried green tomatos:  Slice tomatos. Sprinkle salt all over tomato slices and let them sit in the fridge for 15 minutes. While they are "marinating", heat about a 1/4" of olive oil in a frying pan. Coat the tomato slices with cornmeal and fry until golden. Yum!! I think that maybe now, some of my bigger green tomatos won't be making it to red ripeness  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007 10:57:04 AM »

Hope you've got the fan on when you're frying in olive oil! The first time I tried frying pickles, I used olive oil and literally had to flee the premises, with Scout in tow, because the smoke was so thick (and scared her so much -- she thought I was burning down the apartment!) I usually go with canola or peanut because they tend to be more stable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
kestrel5287
I like exclamation points

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007 11:15:46 AM »

AHHH I'm so jealous of all of you!! I want a garden!! But I didn't get a yard until about 2 weeks ago...and i'm pretty sure it's too late in the season to plant anything now.  Theres even a fairly large flower box in the back already...sad Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Touches - http://Krystal.canduru.com
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007 02:18:48 PM »

Depending on your planting zone, you've still got time for a fall tomato crop (but plant now, and don't hesitate to bring in green tomatoes, wrap them in newspaper, and stash them in a closet for winter ripening if they haven't ripened by first frost!) and any number of winter crops: spinach, lettuce, carrots, radishes, kale, and collards all come to mind.

A cold frame will keep spinach and lettuce going all winter. Easy cold frame: Get a bunch of old bricks. Spade up a 4x4 square, work some compost into the soil, and outline the area with a double row of bricks. Stagger them to keep them from falling over, like this:

-----------------------------------------
|       |       |       |       |       |       |
 ----------------------------------------
    |       |       |       |       |       |   
-----------------------------------------

Plant your seeds in the middle. When the weather gets cold, stretch a piece of clear plastic (the Frost-King kind you staple over windows to seal them off in the winter) across the top, and use a few more bricks to weigh it down.

Kinda trashy looking, but it works well, as the bricks have a little bit of thermal mass to help hold in the heat and keep the plants from freezing. If the plants get a little bit tall, add another layer of bricks -- or use cinderblocks instead of bricks if you have some available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
sewgreen

2 B Carbon Free- live Neutrally- Plant a Tree

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007 02:15:38 PM »

I can't wait to show off my fabu veggies for the summer. I just have to post 10 times before I can post something with a pic....I'll be back with pics soon though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewgreen

2 B Carbon Free- live Neutrally- Plant a Tree

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007 03:13:16 PM »

OK I told you I'd be back! Here are some of my veggies for the summer. My first cantalope! lots of different types of tomatoes. The green ones are called green stripe, and they look slightly yellow when ripe, the others are black currant, brandywine, juliet, and yellow pear.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007 04:24:23 PM »

Well done on the toms. Mine are still little (and I mean little) green things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calizfornia
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007 10:23:48 PM »

The birds ate all my plums this year... Even though those aren't veggies.

Last year there were so many that it weighed down a limb so much that  it BROKE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sam Rollinson - Model Profile - Interview & Runway
Why Do People Wear Makeup?
Get Marilyn Monroe’s Winged Eyeliner
SELF Magazine’s 2014 Healthy Beauty Award Winners
How to Apply Blush
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...