A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where did you get your furniture?  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MDodson
« on: July 23, 2007 04:52:24 PM »

Lots of you on here have gotten furniture from family members, garage sales, sides of the road even! And I would hopefully get furniture that way when I move out, because furniture these days is soo expensive!

So, where'd you get yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raindancing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007 07:19:18 PM »

Heh.  Actuallly, these days most of my furniture is stuff my husband had before we met (he went to an actual furniture store and paid actual money-- can you imagine?  Wink )  But I've had years and years of furnishing apartments for next to nothing.

I got quite a few things that people were throwing away at my apartment complex (note: if you ever are throwing away something that someone could possibly use, leave it next to  the dumpster.  Someone will take it.)  I got several things this way-- a microwave stand, a coffee table, an outdoor table, patio chairs.  I also had a few gifts from friends/relatives.  A sofa, which I reuphostered, and an armchair.  Then there was a thing or two from thrift stores: a TV stand, and an endtable.  My favorites, though, were some cheap particleboard storage cubes from Target that I made into nightstands.

The best advice I can give you is just keep your eyes pealed.  You can make just about anything pretty and/or cool-looking (but you're on Craftster, so of course you know that already). You can also make something more structurally sound by spending 75 cents on little L-braces at home depot, and attaching it to the back of the cheap particleboard furniture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007 08:16:15 PM »

Ours is from all over.  In the "free" category we have:
1) futon chair, from a friend
2) Bed "platform"--actually two 4-drawer units that once held patterns in a fabric store.  From my dad.
3) Genuine 1950's Boomerang coffee table and matching bi-level end table.  From my grandmother's house.
4) Metal bureau which my father purchased in the late 1950's from a doctor's office.  Free, to me.  My husband finally stripped this to bare metal and clear-coated it.  It looks awfully cool.
5) My desk: a door, a file cabinet and a scrap wood pedestal-- all dumpster finds.
6) a small drawing table salvaged from the trash.
7) "Entertainment center"--modular bookshelves.  Free from my husband's aunt's partner.
Cool Bookshelves handmade by my father or by me.
9) Dressers in bedroom.  My husband's when he was a kid.
10) Very nice patio furniture.  Gift from in-laws.

In the "cheap" category:
1) Huge vintage drop-leaf gateleg table. Craigslist, $15.
2) Singer sewing table with machine.  Goodwill, $17.
3) Lots more bookshelves.  Clearance at Target, Michaels, Joanne's (OK, those are really just stacked crates) or Craigslist, depending.
4) 1950's-style kitchen cabinet from local used-furniture store.
5) Really roomy rat cage, on casters. Recycled from "as-is" vanity from Lowes and some shelving from the trash room.

In the "we paid real money for this" category:
1) Loveseat and sofa, bought new and lovingly preserved by my husband in his bachelor days.  Deteriorated rapidly after marriage.  I am now reupholstering these. 
2) Dining room chairs--my husband purchased about 9 years ago.
3) Futon-- I bought in 2002 when I needed a bed in a hurry.
4) Husband's desk.  He bought from an "antique" dealer many years ago.  Probably paid too much.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007 08:34:49 PM »

Definitely always keep a lookout for things on the side of the road when you're driving around!  Sometimes it's junk, but sometimes you'll find good stuff that only needs a coat of paint or some cleaning up.

I think the best time to go is the afternoon/evening before trash is picked up.  That's when most people set stuff out.

Also look around in your newspaper for moving sales or estate sales!

Don't expect to find something the first time you go looking.  These things tend to take time.  Also, don't set your expectations too high-- you probably won't find a chair in the exact color and style you want.  If you're picky, a furniture store is the way to go.  However, you might find a chair you can slipcover or re-paint to match your other furniture!

Ask your friends/family members for help.  I was looking for a computer desk, and I happened to mention it to a friend who had an old table that had been sitting in her shed for years!  A little sanding and a coat of paint later, I had a perfect desk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Thrift Shop Romantic
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007 05:23:10 AM »

You might want to try scouring some thrift stores. That way you can get some cheap furniture you can paint to tie in together. It's amazing how good thrifted furniture can look with a lick of paint, and how cohesive pieces can look together if you paint them either the same, or different colors but that pick out colors in a rug, curtains, bedding, etc.

I've actually found things like marble-topped antique pedestals, excellent old sewing machine stands (I use them for side tables), and a 1930s sideboard buffet at thrifts. (Again, it requires regular looking, but it's doable.)

The thing is, curbside shopping is great (and free!) but it's not consistent that you'll even see any furniture you like during a particular time. Thrift stores always manage to have <something> to work with.

If you're really in dire need of furniture, you might also consider just openly asking family and friends if they have any furniture they don't use anymore and would like to get rid of. You might just be the answer to one of THEIR storage problems.

Best of luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefloridagurl
Crafting keeps me sane.

Rockabilly with a Vintage twist

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 03:16:02 AM »

Here is where I got my furniture:

- my sofa is a cheap one from IKEA (about 80 / $ 100), which is actually more like a love seat
- my entire kitchen I got for free from my sisters in-laws. Its around 25 years old, but kind of a designer kitchen (Alno) and looks brand new cause its been in the Grandfathers studio and he almost never cooked in there.
- My dining table is actually a bar table, which is higher than a normal table. I got this one for free from a former co-worker
- The chairs to go with the table are from IKEA and cost me 10 each. I upholstered the seats myself.
- My TV stand if from my room at my parents house.
- My coffee table is build myself by salvaging some leftover plywood from my kitchen counter and just screwing in some store-bought table legs from the hardware store. Right now, its holding my printer though...
- My soon-to-be craft table is from the house my sister just bought. It has been a dining table with adjustable table-top (it extends to double-length). I will srew in an additional tabletop to make it even longer and will paint the legs, probably golden or silver or something fancy.
- I have a little cabinet stat holds boxes with my craft supplies, which is actually meant to hold fancy dishes, I think. It usually goes in the dining room, but I keep my dishes in the kitchen for lack of a dining room. I got this one about 5 years ago at IKEA, got it for half off (yay for membership card benefits!) and paid 100, I think (or was it even 100 Deutschmarks by then? I dont even remember...).

Come to think of it, the only thing I paid full prize was the sofa... and that was dead cheap, too.

I can only second what the other posters said. Ask around, and always keep your eyes open for garage sale finds, or even stuff that you find on the curb. Its always worth looking, and just dont feel emberrassed to pick up something thats next to the dumpster. Someones trash can be your treasure - just try imagining the possibilities!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patty1h
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 06:43:29 AM »

You can try Yahoo, which has numerous "freecycle" groups.  These are composed of people who feel that the landfills are full enough and instead of adding to their overflow, they post items that they're giving away. 

Also, Craigslist has a "FREE" link under their For Sale heading.  Someone is always willing to get rid of their unneeded furniture and housewares.  The biggest problem is picking the item up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Painter Print Trend
Cameron Diaz Proves Women Over 40 Can Wear Minis!
5 Alexander Wang Runway Looks for Less
Festival Style for Spring and Summer
How to Be Stylish at Work
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...