A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tie-quilt tedium?  (Read 819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Curlita
« on: July 23, 2007 03:04:32 PM »

I'm working on my second quilt and decided that I wanted to tie this one, partly for a different look and partly because it's bigger than the first one I did and I thought it might be pretty challenging to use the machine.

I'm using embroidery floss and tying at about 3" intervals (I really wish I had used better batting) and it is taking FOREVER. I've put in several hours and only have a small portion of the quilt tied.

Is it just me? Any hints to make tying go faster? I am impatient! Other projects await! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007 07:36:16 PM »

I've seen in books where it is recommended to "sew" across the quilt without cutting.  Basically just make a basting sort of "seam" across.  Then cut the thread in the middle and tie them off. 

I elected to use buttons on one and am already regretting it.  I have some very cool glow-in-the dark thread and wanted to us this and have the little X's in teh buttons glowing.  I am now thinking that quilting is probably just as fast!!!!

Good luck on your project.

~~BlondGirl~~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
JTravis10
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 05:58:41 AM »

Most sewing machines come with a few tacking stitches, such as for buttons.  If the look of the 'ties' is not important to you, you can just tack with the machine at 3" intervals, and this will go quick.  To save even more time, don't cut the thread between tacks until after you have finished, this way, you can just go across the top without having to cut the thread each time.  Good luck. 

Jack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007 08:37:31 AM »

My one solution to this is to invite some friends/relatives over, lay the quilt out on a bit table, and make it a group effort.  Have a couple people work the needles and a couple others go behind them and tie the knots.  Completely non-crafty people can do this with very little "training"  Grin  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
rainylakechick
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007 08:58:01 AM »

When I tie a quilt, I usually stitch about two rows of the yarn through the quilt, leaving a gap between its "tie" position.  Then I go through and cut between each "tie" and THEN tie the quilt. 

The process is much faster this way -- it was a tip I learned in a "Quilt in a Day" book, and I've used it ever sense. 

It also helps to get a big fat needle for the stitching and some thimbles.  Your thumbs and fingers will thank you later!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SweetMemoriesQuilts
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007 07:01:20 PM »

The first time I tied a quilt, I got blisters on my fingers from the effort. Then I realized, that it had been so tough because I was trying to pull thick ribbon through the seams. Since then, i've learned to feel for the area that does not have seam underneath and use either a thinner ribbon or embroidery thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annamhudson
Love, Laugh, Live, Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007 11:10:47 PM »

Also a great help it having a huge rubber band that nurses use for a grip in the needle. That has helped a lot. All you need is a small square of it! That saves fingers too and grips the metal great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007 04:15:42 PM »

This is a quilt that I have been working on.

You can see the heavy white cotton thread that I have been using to tie it all together in the pic if you look close.  Its down the left side, and along the bottom.  I just went from spot to spot and then cut in between.  Still took a while.

BlondGirl is right, this is about the easiest way to do it.  If your spots are to close together to have enough to tie with, make sure to leave some slack.  I like to put my quilts on a big hoop when I am doing the ties, it makes pushing the needle through much easier.  A sailors palm or a thimble can also help.

Longer hanging ends will make it easier to tie (looks at hands cut up by pulling on heavy cotton thread), much easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
mommysaurusrex
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007 11:57:35 AM »

When I tie a quilt, I usually stitch about two rows of the yarn through the quilt, leaving a gap between its "tie" position.  Then I go through and cut between each "tie" and THEN tie the quilt. 

The process is much faster this way -- it was a tip I learned in a "Quilt in a Day" book, and I've used it ever sense. 

It also helps to get a big fat needle for the stitching and some thimbles.  Your thumbs and fingers will thank you later!

Thanks for this advice...I did it, and it went much faster than the way I did it before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Under Eye Tightening DIY
Sneak Peek: Birchbox July 2014
5 Must-Have Waterproof Makeup Products
What Products to Use and Avoid When You Have Sunburn
Our Favorite Picks for Cruelty Free Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...