A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tissue Poms & Paper Bag Flowers  (Read 4939 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*MAR*
« on: July 23, 2007 11:16:51 AM »

Hey there! I have had a few people request info on the tissue poms and paper bag flowers Heather and I did for my wedding. I got the idea from visiting the Mexican Fine Arts Center, here in Chicago - and then found tuts on Martha's website, and in one of her mags. We sort of tweaked her tut for our needs, used our pinks and green, and just made it our own. I'll post her tut here, and tell you what I learned to make it easier for you.

To start off, here's some shots of our poms & flowers in use.
I'll follow with another post with a how we did these.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007 11:34:19 AM »

"Blooming Bag How-To"

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=425ed0f19132f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

I recommend using the sort of paper bags that you use to carry lunch in. The paper just holds up better. I found great colours of bags at Party City, but they were this wimpy flimsy, coated thin paper. They didn't work well. I found the good bags, more expensive, but good colours, at Michael's in the party supply section.

Get yr bags, scissors, paper glue and some cardboard to make petal templates:

Cut off the bottom fold of the paper bag:

Cut out 8-10 bags in each petal configuration, glue the bags together, and punch your hole in the bottom, all the way through:

Lay a book on the bags to help them dry properly, leave 'em alone for a few hours.

Next, once they are dry, use a piece of fishing line, make a loop, in your punched hole (make it loose, or you will tear your paper), tie a knot. Now, start spreaking your petals out, once you get it in a pleasing spread, glue the last two bags together in the open position, and clip together with clothespins. Use a long line of fishing line to hang them everywhere - voila - pretty hanging paper flowers!

(recommendation, play around with different petal shapes, you can create some really unexpected shapes just by making points, waves, etc.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007 11:44:27 AM »

"Tissue Poms How-To"
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=efb9608f8532f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=tissue%20pom&rsc=ns2006_m1

We used packages of tissue from Family Dollar. I also bought some of Martha's tissue, because she had better colours. Use 8-12 sheets of tissue for a really full pom. For the smaller poms, we cut the tissue in half. We were really loose with our folds, and didn't sit there with a ruler and measure each to 1.5 inches, and all. We folded as it felt right, and made sure to use a bone folder or nib to make the folds nice. I didn't personally use the cloth covered wire. Regular wire worked fine, but you do have to be gentle so you don't tear your paper. Each pom is fairly time consuming to puff out. But, it was seriously, the most gratifying craft I did. The puffing part was so much fun and you could make the pom come alive!

Try cutting points on some of the tissue edges for a more "dahlia" style pom, and rounded or wavy edges for a more "peony" style pom.

Attaching fishing line to the wire wrapped center and hang all around!

If you're doing a bunch in  one colour, do yourself a favour and by a ream or large quantity of the good stuff (Spectra) tissue from Blick's, or a comparable art supply place:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz113/03/

It is so much nicer to have flat reams of tissue to work with, instead of the folded up packages you get at card and party stores or dollar stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007 11:47:31 AM »

If anybody else used poms at their weddings or party, please post your hanging configurations and detail shots. I would really love to see how everyone else used their poms!!

I'm doing a DIY photo station for our August wedding reception up in Michigan. I am currently working on aquatic greens & blues tissue poms, to frame the photo portrait area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skelectica
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007 12:11:12 PM »

If anybody else used poms at their weddings or party, please post your hanging configurations and detail shots. I would really love to see how everyone else used their poms!!

thanks so much for the links. i'll post pics once my wedding is done (as if my flowers and decor can compete with yours!).. we're also working on a TEENY budget - like, whatever is left over after rent and bills.. and also factoring in a MOVE within 2 weeks of our wedding date!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007 01:03:42 PM »

Wow.. great info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
thekster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007 03:29:00 AM »

Awesome! I was wondering how you made those.
*bookmarked*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
rebellemichelle
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007 07:32:29 PM »

yay this is so awesome! My Fiance just proposed and we have a pretty small wedding budget and this is going to be great for centerpieces and decorations!

Thank you so much for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Difference Between Tattooed People and Non-Tattooed People... Tattooed People Don't Care If You Don't Have Any Tattoos
*MAR*
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007 03:00:53 PM »

Whee! We made a ton more tissue poms for our Michigan reception this past Saturday. All shades of aquatic blues and greens. We used them around the photo area. I draped some aqua sari fabric against a wall and strung the poms all around them.

Tissue poms flat:

Poms getting fluffed!

Poms being hung - after this the fabric was hung - (i can't find a picture with the fabric up!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007 03:13:20 PM »

Oh, wow!  So pretty!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
Sunny Anderson’s Bottom-of-the-Tortilla Bag Recipes
How to Make Italian Sausage Hoagies
Ham Sandwich Recipe
PB&J Bagel Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...