A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to display Embriodery  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaskoyle
« on: July 23, 2007 11:09:44 AM »

I have several completed embroidery pieces. Some are framed and some are not. They are backed with cotton batting and I don't really like buying the frames. Any other advice on displaying finished but unframed embroidery? Would you buy it hanging from a clothes line to frame yourself?

Jenifer

ps. how do i add pictures to my post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007 07:47:10 PM »

There's merit in having the buyer get the embroidery framed themselves - ensures they like the mat color and frame style/color. The problem with not framing it is that it makes it seem somewhat unfinished.

Rather than hanging from a clothes line maybe invest in some flat pillows to pin them on? Maybe tack them onto foam board like photographers and artists sometimes do? Maybe make roughish frames similar to what canvas for painting is on - or use stretcher frames/bars?)

Whatever you decide, I would definitely display them in such a way that shows that you have taken the time to square them and press them as that is one of the biggest pains in getting a piece framed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 07:50:47 PM »

I think tacking them to foam board is a good idea, or the clothesline could be cute as well!

Have you ever seen those folding towel racks that are sold for bathrooms?  If your pieces are smaller, you could fit a lot of them on one rack.

You can't post pictures until you have a certain number of posts her (I think it's 10 or 15?) but you can link to them.  First you have to upload them to a photo website like www.photobucket.com and then copy and paste the links into your Craftster post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
samanthanicole
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007 04:03:01 PM »

If you don't like buying the frames because of cost, maybe you could make your own? It's actually really easy. They sell small wooden poles at local craft or mill stores. They're square and thin and all you need to do is measure, cut, and then use small nails to make them into frames. You can paint them, or stain them, or even leave them natural for a more handmade look. Afterall, your products are handmade so why not have your displays handmade? And you could keep the frames to reuse over again. When someone buys one just wrap it in some tissue or something and slip it in a bag. If you did do that you might want to make a little sign that says "frame not included" so people don't get disappointed or anything when they don't get to take the frame home.

If that still requires more time than you have, i dont think the clothesline idea is bad. I think it might be kindof cute actually. You could use pretty colored clothespins or paint your own with cute polka dots or stripes, etc. or just use regular ones.

And something else to remember, sometimes simple is better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007 03:28:12 PM »

After revisiting this post and looking again at your question, since you are already putting cotton batting on your embroideries, why not put a coordinating fabric on the back and turn them into tapestries or mini-quilts? The you wouldn't need frames at all or only a small dowel to hang them from with loops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007 11:44:41 AM »

It doesn't hurt to have a couple of "suggested display ideas" pictures in the mix. Make it clear you don't provide the frames.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a frameless display. I like to get my own frames for things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007 01:09:54 PM »

Sometimes art and craft stores have really good sales on canvases. Whenever I make embroidery pieces I like to stretch them over canvases. You can get them in a variety of sizes and it makes the pieces look more art-ish instead of grandma's house-ish. Then you could display them by laying them out on the table, some on easels, etc.

Hope this helps!

(Also, to post pictures, upload them to photobucket, Leah has been kind enough to insert a little upload box on the right of the new post page where you can sign into your photobucket account and browse your images, then copy the Img code from the selected picture at the bottom and paste it directly into your post!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahpanda
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007 06:35:46 AM »

There is this neato foam board stuff at JoAnn's that comes with adhesive on it. It's basically a giant, foam-backed sticker. You could stick some of your pieces to those--that allows for the customer to frame them or display them as-is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Action or Sports Photography
Household Items to Keep in Your Camera Bag
How to Hack Your On-Board Flash
High Speed Photography
Group Portrait Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...