A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So I made that crucial design mistake.....  (Read 1211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2007 04:30:24 PM »

I'm moving to an apartment this August- my room at home is staying intact, and I can't really use much from my dorm set up- so I get to do a bit of decorating to my bedroom, yay!  But I made a little bit of an error- I just bought a bedspread/pillowsham set without really having any sort of vision as to how it would fit in the room..... and now I'm feeling rather uninspired by the set, even though I like it a lot as bed spreads go.  ANYWAAAY... thought I might post a pic of the stuff I have to work with and see if you guys have any gut feelings as to what other stuff I might put in the room.  I'll really only have room for the bed, a night-table and a dresser, so wall-hangings are crucial, trying to think of ideas for finishes for the furniture, and just some interesting accent stuff.  Not sure if I want to paint the walls, might be too much trouble.  Anyway, hit me with your best shot, I'd really appreciate a craftster's opinion!

See, it's almost beachy-country.... don't really know what direction to go...

this is the sham (cute, right?)

close up of some of the detailing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
dootsie
Dootsie inna hizzie.

Dootsie inna hizzie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007 10:08:49 PM »

I think that there's plenty you could do.  The ribbon detailing is a great place to start.  If you can copy it to make a couple big frames, I think that would make an awesome touch.
Pretty obviously, your colour palette has been picked.  If you're good with the beach theme, that's probably a really easy way to go.  For a wall hanging, get a shadowbox and fill it with seashells.  Trim your nighttable with seagrass rope.  Buy seagrass placemats and use as doilies.
If you decide to paint your walls, I think it would be fun to do one colour halfway up the wall, then edge it with a border like the ribbon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Dootsie has spoken!  Now go home.
Firefairy
Eclectic Savant

What do you mean, "it isn't supposed to explode"?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007 10:52:53 PM »

If you are okay with the colors, but not so thrilled with the concept of stripes, you can add any motif you like in embroidery, fabric paint, appliqu or even more quilting in the stripes, then work with those colors and your new motif.  If you like, you can even add new colors that way, most likely as accents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but sticks and string excite me.

Got Wist?
I'm on Ravelry, and now, so are my stash and WIPs.  Makin' progress!
spunkygal526
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007 02:49:11 PM »

First off, I think the bedspread and sham are ADORABLE.  Not in a little kid way, but in a "This is my cute comfy beach house" kind of way.  If your comfortable with the beach house theme, GO FOR IT.  You still have millions of options.  WALLS:  What color are they now?  If they are white.... you may not need to paint.  If you do paint, try picking a shade  similar to the colors in the set.  Try to pick a pale shade, it will keep the room bright.  FLOOR:  If it's a neutral carpet, great.  If it's hardwood, GREAT!  If it's a ugly shade.....  consider rugs....  If you or someone you know crochets, you can make a large area rug out of strips of fabric.  FURNITURE:  Check the classifieds, garage sales, and thrift stores.  Depending on walls and floor...  Dark wood like walnutish, light wood like maplish, or painted white would look nice.  If you want white but can't find it.... paint the pieces.  That way you can go for a cool distressed look.  Other ideas:  Wicker!  White or natural basket accents might look nice.  A mosquito net!  You can try to buy one or buy toule and make one yourself.  It would look cool over your bed or over a comfy chair in a corner if there is room.  Also, your room doesn't have to COMPLETELY match the set, just work with it.  Cuz if you get tired of your set up, you want to be able to change it.  Variety is the spice of life, consider making Duvets that would match and swaping them every once in a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007 05:50:04 PM »

Thanks for the ideas, you guys!  I really like the idea of wicker, or distressed white/light wood.  I'm still in the beginning stages, but I'll try to post pics once everything is all done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007 07:45:52 AM »

If you are looking for a cheap wall hanging/picture maybe purchase a canvas and paint stripes on it the same colors as the bedspread. BTW, I love the colors and I can see why you choose it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckles339
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007 12:46:32 PM »

I guess I never thought of buying a piece for a room that I fall in love with a crucial design mistake.  That's how I usually end up decorating the room, around something that I adored and bought.  I can totally see why you bought it.  I had a friend that made herself end tables for her room by using large clay pots and the bases for the top of it.  She placed a collage in the base and then used a round glass table top over it.  I know it makes little sense here, I am going to see if she will let me post the picture here so you can see what I mean.  It would go great with the whole beachy feel..... I can't wait to see your ideas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Contemporary Artist Lindsay Chambers on Her Paintings
How to Read Art - Turkish Sentinel by Charles Bargue
How to Paint Reflectivity
How to Oil Paint with Hall Groat
How to Oil Paint
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...