A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,791
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am in love with this quilt - can I make if for my first project?  (Read 1066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaela
« on: July 22, 2007 09:24:11 AM »

Hello Quilters!

I normally hang out over in the knitting category but thought I would come to you for some help.  I want to learn to quilt... well really I want to make this quilt: http://www.bookhou.com/babycollection-decorate-quilt.htm

Would it be too hard for a first project?  It doesn't look crazy difficult to me (but then, I'm not a quilter).  What do you think?  Can you recommend a book or something to get me started.  I think I understand the sewing blocks together part... I'm am a little more concerned with the quilting things down to the puffy middle and backing part.

Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007 10:35:26 AM »

That shouldn't be too hard.  It's a neat idea!  You sound pretty comfortable with your skills.  You'll have to figure out the pattern yourself but that's kind of self explanitory... remember to add seam allowances.  You won't have to worrry about matching up your corners with this pattern either (big plus for a first quilt!) You basically sew the blocks into strips, and then sew the strips together before sewing them to the large plain peices.  Prewashing your fabric and pressing all the seams will create a professional finish and make everything come together a lot easier. 

To add the batting and "quilt" it.... stack your backing, the batting and then the top on a large flat area.  It looks like this was quilted with straight stitching lines in a grid every 9" or so.  It could be kind of tricky to fasten your layers and keep then even with it being your first time.  You'll want to start in the center and keep watching the back to check for puckering at the intersections.  You might want to practice on something smaller, like a matching pillow top first. 

It would be much easier just tie your quilt with something like a red or neutral colored embroidery floss, and the look would still compliment the design.  Start at the center and pin where you want your ties to be, (use a ruler to mark the grid on the top of your quilt) then start at the center again and tie where each pin is and remove the pins as you go.  If you plan to use it and wash it often, I think I would tie it at least every 4-5 inches so that the batting doesn't shift.  The tie should be a surgical knot, like a square knot except you wrap the thread once more and repeat when you make the second knot. 

The last thing would be binding the edges.  This site has some good tutorials.  http://www.quiltsmart.com/Pages/completing_your_quilt.htm

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
YLHeidi
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007 01:20:55 PM »

It is a really cute quilt. As noted above, it shouldn't be too difficult for a first quilt.

I enjoy actually sewing the quilt top; not so much the actual quilting part. But I have found that using a temporary spray adhesive to 'glue' the top and back to the batting is really helpful! (I use a type that is called 505 spray and fix) I usually use basting pins (curved safety pins) in addition to the adhesive.

Good Luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorky
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007 07:18:39 AM »

Oh yes, you can totally make this your first quilt and since it is simple, it will be forgiving if you don't have completely squared edges and such.  I like it!  Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007 09:36:57 AM »

Looks pretty easy to me, a very good beginning project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007 04:17:31 PM »

i always bite off more than i can chew...but this looks reasonable. i think a lot of the effect comes from the fabrics.

i used the book "Complete Guide to Quilting" by Better Homes & Gardens (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Quilting-Gardens-Creative-Collection/dp/0696218569) for my first quilt. it was great because it took you step by step through the different stages of quilt making, without forcing you to follow a specific pattern. it worked well with the way i learn, at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...