A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Play skirt with "acorn pocket" from old thrift store find  (Read 1172 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honeyspoon
« on: July 21, 2007 08:08:38 PM »

I made this skirt as a birthday gift for my very cool and very girly 2 year old friend Julia. It started as a thrift store dress I found years ago but could never quite fit into. I had no idea what I was going to turn it into but was shooting in the general direction of a skirt. It turned out better than I imagined it would considering my amateur seamstress status and the lack of a final vision...  AND IT ACTUALLY FITS HER!!! Unfortunately I have no photos of her in it just yet but my son was more than happy to be my human dress form. His waist is the same size as hers but she's quite a bit taller so it fits her as a mid-calf lenght skirt. She loves to pick up acorns so I preserved the original pocket which is giant for a 2 year old girl... giant enough to fit a bushel and a peck of acorns. The trim is from a shirt of my boyfriend's as is the material for the applique.

Before the transformation:

My cross dressing son:

The finished version:

Flower close-up:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007 08:32:27 PM »

wow! that is sooo soooo sooooo freakin' adorable! you did an amazing job. i love all the creative touches - really special. (my husband was just now looking over my should and he says, "wow. that's very cute.")
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007 05:38:36 AM »

That is so cute -- great recon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
Caine
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007 07:30:26 AM »

great re con! I am confused about "acorn pocket" Also, did you hand stitch the embroidery around flower? It is quite sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007 08:05:59 AM »

great re con! I am confused about "acorn pocket" Also, did you hand stitch the embroidery around flower? It is quite sweet.

is the mystery pocket in the side seam? i was looking for it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyspoon
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007 10:22:03 AM »

is the mystery pocket in the side seam? i was looking for it too!
Yes. I couldn't really capture it in the photo but it is an inner pocket in the side seem. I used to love collecting stuff in my pockets when I was little, it made me feel BIG. I was hoping for this same result with her.
As for the flower... yes I hand stitched the "embroidery"... had no idea what I was doing. I have never embroidered a thing or read anything about it but I used embroidery floss that I found at a garage sale (which I thought was friendship bracelet making string at the time haha) and used a stitching technique that I  thought I came up with on my own but when it was done it looked an awful lot like embroidery so I got really excited and went and bought an embroidery ring so I can learn correctly. As for the red stitching on the outside, it's just plain old quilting thread. I thought it needed a touch of red and I wanted it to have kind of a rough edge so I opted out from the floss and did a loose, crooked, playful stitch.
Thanks for the sweet words. Yall make a new sewer feel like a pro!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007 07:02:53 PM »

Its lovely!  I like the tie-waist and flower applique. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeyspoon
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007 08:30:06 AM »

Its lovely!  I like the tie-waist and flower applique. 
Thanks! I figure the drawstring was a good idea since I didn't have her here for exact measurements. And so that she can wear it longer than a couple of weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007 10:38:50 PM »

little pockets full of acorns! Is that an acorn pocket? The embroidery is so sweet -- hard to imagine you are a beginner. But there you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Light and the Setting in Your Photograph
Awareness of Shadow in Photography
Understanding Light Exposure in Pictures
Using Light and the Landscape in Your Photography
Using Light and Color in Your Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...