A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 307,962
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diabetic-Friendly Recipes Without Artificial Sweetener?  (Read 4215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaghetti
« on: July 21, 2007 05:56:54 PM »

Hi all,

So I just moved to a new neighborhood a few weeks ago, and one of my neighbors is a very friendly, very bored elderly gentleman.  I'm going to visit with him on Thursday, and I'd like to bring a dessert of some kind.  He's got a lot of health problems, and I think he may be diabetic, though I'm not sure.  But I really don't like artificial sweeteners, not even Splenda.  Does anyone have any good recipes that are diabetic-friendly but don't use artificial sweeteners?  I've Googled and found a few things but y'all always come up with great stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007 07:26:32 AM »

Here's an easy one, I take ritz crackers, and make little peanut butter sandwiches with them. (That's great alone, but it gets better!) Melt some dark unsweetened chocolate over a double boiler and dip the sandwiches.  Place in fridge until solid. 
Very yummy, I make these all the time!

Make sure you check the peanut butter, sometimes they add sugar, but you can easily make your own by throwing peanuts and a bit of peanut or vegetable oil in a blender.  Takes about a minute and it's soooo tasty!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 07:27:39 AM by Retromiad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
melissafairy08
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007 05:46:02 PM »

You can also use stevia. It's a root (i think it's a root, I know it's some sort of plant) that's actually sweeter than sugar and all natural, and not only is it safe for diabetics, it's actually GOOD for diabetics! I am not sure if you can cook with it but it's worth researching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007 06:07:10 PM »

You can also replace sugar with fructose (fruit sugar) or agave syrup.  Both are sweeter than sugar so you use less.  Best thing is both have a low GI which means they have a low effect Blood Glucose Levels unlike sugar or glucose.   

It really depends on what the sugar does for the recipe.  In some things (like cakes and cookies) sugar also adds volumne to the batter/ dough particularliy the dry ingredients.  In that case I would use Fructose.  It is granulated and looks like refined white sugar anyway.

Something like muffins you could use agave syrup as muffins are much more forgiving when you substitute ingredients.

Try also replaceing white refined flour with wholemeal (whole grain) flour.  Wholemeal flour is slighty better than white flour in regards to effects on blood glucose.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 06:05:04 PM by qazicat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
janelleleigh
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007 05:58:45 PM »

Here's an easy one, I take ritz crackers, and make little peanut butter sandwiches with them. (That's great alone, but it gets better!) Melt some dark unsweetened chocolate over a double boiler and dip the sandwiches.  Place in fridge until solid. 
Very yummy, I make these all the time!

Make sure you check the peanut butter, sometimes they add sugar, but you can easily make your own by throwing peanuts and a bit of peanut or vegetable oil in a blender.  Takes about a minute and it's soooo tasty!

DELICIOUS! Thank you so much, my grandma is right on the cusp of having diabetes and watches her diet, and these have become our new favorite tv time snack!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007 03:09:52 AM »

DELICIOUS! Thank you so much, my grandma is right on the cusp of having diabetes and watches her diet, and these have become our new favorite tv time snack!

Yeah, those are totally addictive!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...