A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Luau/Hawaiian theme cake ideas?  (Read 1356 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MDodson
« on: July 21, 2007 05:44:30 PM »

Okay, I got a little excited and decided I'd make a cake for my sister's friend for her 21st birthday. She's having a themed birthday party that's a Luau/Hawaiian, whatever you wanna call it. So any really fun ideas for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007 07:58:56 PM »

This is totally cute and looks pretty easy :
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/hawaiian.htm

You could also get some shell shaped candy molds and make white chocolate shells to decorate a coconut cake. Anything coconut or pineapple would go with the theme.

You could also just make a basic cake and decorate it with silk hibiscus flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
higgins
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007 08:48:08 AM »

This isn't a cake, but my grandma always used to make me a thing called 'Hawaiian pie" that tastes awesome.

This is the closest recipe that I could find:
http://baking.about.com/od/creampies/r/hawaiian.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007 05:24:16 PM »

we take bigbivalve type shells . just one half - cover the top with aluminum foil then you pour over it your melted chocolate - put it inthe fridge to harden - then... they come apart from the shell easily ... these make great decorations or edible ice cream cups...

also my step mom makes this adorable jello - usually a blue color in a regualr baking dish... then she decorates it with other food to resemble an island - cheap and easy and can be done before hand - she uses some fruits for the island like blueberries - a shortened celery stalk to look like palms trees etc etc - just use your imagination - wish I had a pic - its entirely edible but people have to be prompted to dig in cuz it is sooo cute yet sooo easy.... she throws a Jamaican party every year
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007 06:13:43 PM »

Recently there were some posts on beachy cakes. You can PM the OP.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Tarewyn
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Atticus Finch

Saving my sanity, one crafty day at a time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007 04:41:00 PM »

You have to have green coconut grass!  It's really easy.  Just add a few drops of green food colouring to a baggie with a couple of handfulls of dried sweetened coconut ( in the baking aisle). Shake it up a bit and like magic it is green.

You could make a doll cake ( where you stand the doll up in a cake and the cake is the skirt) and decorate her like a hula dancer, grass skirt, shell bra etc...

Tarewyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MDodson
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007 01:23:26 PM »

Instead of making a cake. Which would have probably been a bad idea anyway, though I won't say why. We made a Hairy Buffalo. [Type of drink you mix different alcohols and fruit slices and juice together.. depending on what you want in it I guess.] I'm definitely not in love with most types of alcohol, they just don't appeal to me [Only like certain kinds with certain flavors].. but it was pretty good. We didn't go by a recipe what so ever. Just kinda.. poured stuff in, cut fruit and put it in. But all the fruit floating on top made it look very pretty, and tropically. Just thought I'd update and tell ya what was made.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Magical Granny Squares
Squeeze and Solitude - AHEC and RCA Collaboration
Pumpkin Carving Ideas and Techniques
How to Use Everyday Items to Protect Book Covers
How to Make an Art Smock
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...