A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 234240 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« Reply #510 on: March 11, 2006 02:50:20 PM »

Hello! I've started my pads! I have one question though. When I used to watch my mom sew a long time ago, she used to cut little dart things on the curves before she turned whatever she was working on. She said it was so the fabric wouldn't bunch up when you turn it inside out. Well, do you need to do that for this or not? I've read pretty much the whole thread and I dont think I read anything about this. Sorry if its a stupid question Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atheris
« Reply #511 on: March 11, 2006 09:51:48 PM »

Hello! I've started my pads! I have one question though. When I used to watch my mom sew a long time ago, she used to cut little dart things on the curves before she turned whatever she was working on. She said it was so the fabric wouldn't bunch up when you turn it inside out. Well, do you need to do that for this or not? I've read pretty much the whole thread and I dont think I read anything about this. Sorry if its a stupid question Smiley

I just don't turn mine- but I use a serger too so the ends don't fray. So I just cut the pieces out for whatever size I want to make and then layer them and serge away!

I am curious to see what those without sergers do...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jo Biasi
www.camofish.com
camofishus.blogspot .com
Santa Rosa, CA
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #512 on: March 12, 2006 07:34:05 AM »

I layer my fabrics and then serge the sides, that way I don't have to worry about the bulkyness you'd get if you sew right sides together and turn them.

Here is a small tutorial for the pads I make.

Regular pads: Cut out 4 large ovals (you can decide however big you'd like your pads to be). Cut out 8 long rectangles (these will fit in the center in the center of the ovals). Secure the 8 rectangles to 2 of the ovals (the two ovals will lay on the bottom and then set the rectangles on top of them). Next, lay the other two ovals  over the rectangles, making a sandwhich.  I pin them together so they stay even while I serge around the sides. Now fold the sides of the oval in towards the middle and make a sharp crease. Open the fold back up and do a straight stitch down the crease you made. This will make the wings that fold over the sides of the underwear. You're done.

Pantyliners: Cut 4 hour glass shape pieces (agian,m you can decide how large you want them). Cut 4 small rectangles ( these will fit in the center of the pantyliner). You are basically goiong to layer these just as you did with the pads. Then serge the sides adn you have a pantyliner. Makes sure to sew down the center to secure the rectangles inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #513 on: March 12, 2006 12:56:52 PM »

It's up to you whether you do this or not - it all depends on how the fabric sits when you turn it the right way. I made my pads out of flannel and didn't clip the curves before I turned them, but instead sewed a zigzag stitch around the turned edge to get it to lay flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 12, 2006 01:52:55 PM »

not a stupid question at all!

what you are referring to is notching the seam allowances, it is only needed on inside curves and is necessary if your curve is very tight, and/or if your seam allowance is really wide.  if you are using 1/4" or smaller, it probably isn't necessary, and in fact if you use a wider seam allowance but trim it down after sewing, you are probably fine.  however, for anything wider than 1/4", you will need to notch in order to prevent the seam allowance from folding on itself.

if you notch, do each seam allowance separately, and make the notches alternate so they aren't in the same place on each layer.

FWIW, the opposite is clipping the seam allowance and the same rules apply but you do it on outside curves.  it is done so that the seam allowance will spread enough for the fabric to lie flat.

ok, one more definition:  the direction of the curve refers to the direction the seam allowance lies when the project is turned right side out.  thus, an inside curve is one in which the seam allowance is on the inside of the curve, and vice verse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
verycrafty
« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2006 07:05:12 PM »

Yay I did it! Here are some pictures! Whoo. Im so happy! Grin

I was a pack horse! I made 4 inserts 2 panty liners and two pads all from 1/2 yard of fabric I found at walmeart. My sister let me splerge on new fabric. Heres a shot of the back

I dont have a pic of the back of the panty liners but one is red like the insert and the other has cola fabric on it. Smiley

Oh and princess blueberry send me some super duper super pads for me. Thanks princessblueberry!

Yay! Thats it for now. I cant wait to make more and use them on my next 'monthly' Smiley

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009 06:20:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2006 07:58:27 PM »

i'm so jealous! they look really good. i havn't quite taken the time to really wrap my head around this. some day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2006 08:57:05 PM »

Just wanted to say I've been using these for 2 months now and I love them. They're much more comfortable than the disposable kind, and cheaper too. One major difference I've noticed is that the cotton allows my skin to breathe so I don't feel all sweaty and clammy and gross down there like I did with the plastic-y disposable pads. Sometimes I even forget I'm on my period at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelichan

Fashion designer for hire in NYC!

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 26, 2006 06:40:50 PM »

Im gonna do it! Muahahaha! I used your tut/pattern for the super pad... and I made...

http://www.shelichan.com/mandy/FirstPad01.jpg
http://www.shelichan.com/mandy/FirstPad02.jpg
http://www.shelichan.com/mandy/FirstPad03.jpg

I put a snap on the teo back flaps to hold em closed better. And I put channels on the insert after I took that picture.

Im going to try using it soon! I hope all works out well and my mother does not kill me! Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Childrenswear & womenswear designer for hire in NYC!
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #519 on: March 26, 2006 08:23:41 PM »

Quote from: blood.stained.hands
reusable tampon, made out of 100%cotton yarn

I've never seen those before. Are they hard to use? I mean, are they sturdy? I'd think they would be hard to insert.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Backlight Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Aperture Priority Function
Canon A610/A620: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Sports Scene
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...