A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 234243 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2006 07:54:16 PM »

Ok, so I made some tampons, I just need to; a) have my cycle (due soon) and b) find the camera... I will post over in corchet FO's and link here...

Also, I took a look-see at the cloth diapers we have and they are simply multiple layers of cotton in the middle part. That seems to work for babies and lots of pee and poo, so I am sure it would work for us too!

Off to find the camera!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
swozniak
« Reply #491 on: March 01, 2006 09:05:56 PM »

"As a sidenote - my daughter is 11yo and I'm hoping to convert her at the beginning.  I'm just thinking of all the crafting supplies I can buy with the money saved!!LOL"

It's a great way to get your daughter comfortable with herself as well.  You should definitely pick out fabric that she'll be excited about (do other people get excited about fabric?)

I liked this pattern, but you might find that you need a wider back to prevent leakage  Goodluck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #492 on: March 01, 2006 09:40:56 PM »

Ok guys I did it...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82588.0
I'll try them out and if anyone is interested just ask! Also, I'm going to try a few more ideas... as I've said before I use the pads, but MIL just bought a house with a pool, so these would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

yep
ASH903208
« Reply #493 on: March 02, 2006 07:36:46 PM »

I've got 439857 questions about this.
When you say nylon... Do you mean panty hose material??? If not, where would I go about finding this nylon material??
And next.. I'm not exactly sure how this works. Is the top layer cloth? So do you go around feeling wet all day? Is it not gross to change the blood soaked lining? I dont mean to sound weird or anything, because I'm not afraid of a little blood... I just dont want to be out somewhere using a public restroom and have to change my towel pad and come out of the stall and wash the gallon of blood off my hands with other women standing around....  Its a natural thing, but I know I sure dont want to be standing next to a woman who comes out of a stall with blood soaked hands!
I usually use nothing but tampons.. But I must say, I am VERY interested in this whole cloth pad concept... We just moved, but as soon as I can find a place for my sewing machine, I will definatly be making some!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:.*dental assistants do it orally*.:.
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #494 on: March 02, 2006 08:07:06 PM »

SO, yes, the layer next to your body is cotton or flanel, and no, you don't feel any more wet than you would with a regular pad. The next layer(s) would be also cotton of some sort, either you make inserts or just padded pads, but you can do this with many different forms of cotton, layers of flannel, or layers of cotton, or batting. Then if you like, you could put a moisture barrier on the bottom, like oil cloth, vinyl, or some other plastic-y fabric. I would suggest if it is slippery, to add one last layer of something so that it won't slip around in your panties (or even velcro and special sets of panties with the other side in them?)... check out the thread going on the tampons...

Ok guys I did it...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=82588.0
I'll try them out and if anyone is interested just ask! Also, I'm going to try a few more ideas... as I've said before I use the pads, but MIL just bought a house with a pool, so these would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
watchgirl
« Reply #495 on: March 02, 2006 08:27:44 PM »

I would suggest if it is slippery, to add one last layer of something so that it won't slip around in your panties (or even velcro and special sets of panties with the other side in them?).

I second that!  The set I made all of windbreaker type material on the bottom and they slide all over the place!  I ended up adding some ribbons to my undies to keep them from sliding back and forth.  My pictures are somewhere earlier in this thread.
As for traveling, I have a little vinyl coin purse that I keep mine in when I use them.  I roll them up tight and then wrap some tp around them and stuff them in the purse.  Then, as soon as I get home, I rinse them off.  Another nice thing is no loud crinkly noise when you open and change a store-bought pad!  Grin
-Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verycrafty
« Reply #496 on: March 03, 2006 05:59:27 PM »

These seem cool!  I want to try them but I cant sew. Sad 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006 06:28:43 PM by verycrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #497 on: March 03, 2006 06:46:28 PM »

verycrafty, you can always buy premade ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

verycrafty
« Reply #498 on: March 03, 2006 06:53:36 PM »

verycrafty, you can always buy premade ones.

They are so expensive and I am so poor Roll Eyes I get disposable ones free now so maybe sometime in the future. Besides I dont know how my sister will react if I ask her to buy me some! Cheesy (my sister is my primary caregiver just so you know Wink)

I like the lunapads ones though. They are pretty but not nerly as nice as the ones I've seen here  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006 07:21:48 PM by verycrafty » THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #499 on: March 03, 2006 08:47:33 PM »

If you like them you can provide your sister (who I assume is buying your pads) a breakdown of how much money you will save in the long run if you are provided the re-usable pads... figure out how many you use in a cycle, and multiply that by a year (or three). Then figure out how many re-usable pads you would like to have (maybe 10) and then figure you could use them for about 2 maybe 3 years (that's really only 24-36 cycles)... so the math might look like this... a box of pads costs $5 (it's been a long time since I've bought pads... but we'll use really easy math for this one) and assume you go through one box a cycle, so 5 (bucks) times 36 (cycles in 3 years)= $180. Now I know you can find 10 cloth pads for under $180!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yep
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sketching Materials and Supplies for Travel
How to Choose an Eraser
How to Paint a Colorwash Faux Technique
How to make Halloween Yard Critters
How to Draw a Face Using Just White Color
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...