A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
829 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 234812 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: February 27, 2006 10:42:14 AM »

thank you!  i didnt remember reading it!  but i am interested!  thank you!

on another note...this may sound odd but i just had an idea....i have this 100% cotton yarn...why couldnt you knit or crochet some little tampons...? it would me the same material as the baby socks and also of real tampons but without the chemicals and such.  too weird?  too out there?  let me know what you all think...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006 10:44:18 AM by taloola » THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessblueberry
« Reply #481 on: February 27, 2006 10:46:25 AM »

Thanks I would have never remembered where in the post I saw that . . . I'd just put what i needed on the shoping list. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #482 on: February 27, 2006 12:44:37 PM »

Cute pads swozniak! I love the fabric you've used, especially the little piggies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
swozniak
« Reply #483 on: February 27, 2006 03:23:25 PM »

Thanks jan_on_ice.  Having cute fabric makes bleeding slightly more enjoyable!
After leaving the store and looking at the reciept I noticed that the pig fabric was only 2.00 a yard!!! I'm thinking about going back for more.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006 03:26:04 PM by swozniak » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missymoo
« Reply #484 on: March 01, 2006 11:58:09 AM »

Fabric Advice Needed Smiley

I have taken the time to read pretty much the whole thread and feel so enlightened now! Very informative, great thread and great starter project!

When I go into my local Hobbycraft (UK based craft shop) to buy fabric, what do I ask for? Can someone please recommend A) the most waterproof fabric and B) the most absorbant fabric suitable for this project?

Thanks muchos in advance! Am looking forward to showing my Mum, I can't wait to see her face!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2006 12:01:59 PM »

Absorbant: Just ask for flannel. 100% cotton. They should have tons. I also just noticed today that one fabric store sells diaper fabric by the yard, but flannel should be more than fine. I made some overnights with a couple layer of towelling, but I just cut up an old towel. I think a few extra layers of flannel would do the same (something I'm going to try).

Can't help w/ waterproof. I haven't needed it. I think Lunapads uses fleece (polyester), and some folks have used gym shorts (or the same kind of material). Breathable is key.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missymoo
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2006 12:41:58 PM »

Wow, quick reply crazycatladymel, thanks!

Still confuzzled about the waterproof-ness if anyone cares to enlighten me Wink

Does 'breathable' fabric mean that sweat is transferred through the fabric away from the skin and does this mean it could allow liquid/blood through?

I *think* I remember someone here used vinyl, this would be waterproof but not breathable I guess, but does it work well for this project? For some reason I imagine it being squeaky and cause chaffage haha! Like Daffyd walking across the room in Little Britain or was that plastic/PVC? Yup, truly don't have a clue about fabrics  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2006 12:45:32 PM »

I may have contradicted myself. Waterresistent fabrics can breathe... I don't know if waterproof ones can. I didn't use this layer, so I'm not much help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2006 01:56:31 PM »

on another note...this may sound odd but i just had an idea....i have this 100% cotton yarn...why couldnt you knit or crochet some little tampons...? it would me the same material as the baby socks and also of real tampons but without the chemicals and such.  too weird?  too out there?  let me know what you all think...

Taloola, I say OF COURSE! I would think ami-style crocheting stuffed with 100% cotton would ROCK! I'm gonna try it tonite! Thanks for the question, it has inspired me:)

BTW- A great 'stuffing' is quilters cotton, they have some nice organic cotton battings out there for our quilting friends, and it would get softer as you use it... as far as water proof/resistant and  absorbant layers... a good way to go would be an outer layer of cotton or flannel (you could even get crazy and use a neoprene/capilene or some other sport/wicking material but that is unecessary), then an inner absorbent layer of cotton batting or multiple layers of cotton/flannel material, then a layer of oilcloth or vinyl. I like oil cloth, it is slighly less 'stiff' and has that cloth backing so your layers won't slip. You could wrap the whole thing up in cotton or flannel but you are running the risk of side leaks (wicking around the vinyl). Don't get me wrong though, I have not used vinyl or oil cloth, I have a varying flow, and I never seem to need a barrier between the absorbant layers and my panties, but I have spotted on my panties (never through to the pants). I think if you change it out often enough, you should be OK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2006 06:42:06 PM »

I just wanted to thank you all for the wonderful insight and ideas.  I always used tampons until my 2nd child and now they are very uncomfortable, so I've switched to pads, but they seem to irritate me.  (I'm 39 for what it's worth) I'm making some of these this weekend!  The tutorial in the first post is amazingly simple - even I can follow it. 

As a sidenote - my daughter is 11yo and I'm hoping to convert her at the beginning.  I'm just thinking of all the crafting supplies I can buy with the money saved!!LOL

Thanks again ladies.  It's great to find a community that is so in tune with their bodies and talk easily about them too.  That's a rare find.

Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select Knitting Needles
How to Sew a Tote Bag
How to Sew
How to Make the Advanced Model of Paper Airplane
How to Make a Shirt Out of Paper
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...