A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 247096 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Starry_Eyes

I'm a Duran Duran FAN!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2004 01:19:17 PM »

Grin I am inspired, I'm going to run by the craft store to pick up some nylon material!  I can't believe I never thought of making cloth pads before, you ladies are so clever! Thanks for posting a tutorial. Can't wait to see the look on hubby's face when I tell him what I'm making, LOL!

I love this site!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:-) I'm a Duran Duran Fan!!!
SarahFroggy
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2004 01:27:19 PM »

the look is truly priceless..my man had that "you are doing WHAT?!?" reaction, it was great! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabbithorns
Rabbithorns

Love the bunnies

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2004 02:48:55 PM »

I bought 4 pad sets (1 pad and two inserts) that look exactly like these (but cost WAY too much) probably 10 years ago. (I still have one from 15 years ago.) I still use them; they have never leaked through. They are made of flannel only with no waterproof lining.

For those of you who haven't figured out what to do with them, you snap or velcro the wings around your underwear. And as many times as you need to, you change them, rinsing out the dirty one in the sink. You can also make a nylon bag to carry wet ones in after you've washed them. Or you can get a small waterproof drawstring sack at a camping store. Hand wash or throw them in with the regular wash.

Good for you for checking this out - and making them yourselves!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livin and lovin a bloke in Oz
Splash

don't take away my alligator pie

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2004 08:37:46 AM »

Yay for cloth pads! I've been using Lunapads for at least a year now, and I am a complete convert. I was a tampon user before, and did try the Keeper, but after one massive leak when out on the town (okay, in a mall), I was less comfortable with it. Then I forgot it somewhere while travelling and that made up my mind.

I have some wonderfully comfy, but oh-so unstylish plaid flannel shirts that would be glorious reincarnated as pads. This project is definitely added to my loooong list of things that must be crafted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Princess Jenny

Its a Dogs Life

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2004 09:47:27 AM »

Your Tutorial is awesome!  The best outlined directions I have seen on this subject on the web. Smiley  I made a set of cloth pads 2 months ago and have used them for 2 cycles now.  I love them!!!  They are so comfortable and soft.  I even wore them on a recent weekend trip RVing with my in-laws.  Before sharing 1 toilet during that time of the month would have been embarrassing.  I've always hated throwing away used pads in other people's garbage cans.  But with these I just tucked them into a plastic lined little purse to wash when I got home.  It worked perfectly--except I have to make more... I ran out!!!
The funny thing is no leaks at all with the cloth pads I made, but the storebought that I used when I ran out leaked twice! uGH!  If I wasn't sold on cloth pads before, I would be now.  I plan to use your instructions to make my next set.  And I hope to be an expert by the time my oldest dd (12 & 1/2) starts menstruating.  I really think this is the best for our bodies, and hope to convince her of that, too!  Right now she thinks her mom is a bit kooky; so does my dh--but I'm hoping to persuede her with all the pretty material choices out there-lol!!  Something about seeing Scooby Doo in my panties just really brightens my day Grinlol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Starry_Eyes

I'm a Duran Duran FAN!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2004 12:16:50 PM »

Something about seeing Scooby Doo in my panties just really brightens my day Grinlol!

LOL...Scooby Doo.   Grin

With the tutorial, the clothes are super easy to make! I made 8 junior pads with this cute Daisy flannel print because it reminded me of the saying "fresh as a daisy"..lol. My next project will be the panty liners. I've always hated disposable pads and now, I will never wear them again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:-) I'm a Duran Duran Fan!!!
sillybethmarie
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2004 10:21:32 PM »

I love cloth pads.  It's like a happy surprise when I go to the bathroom and get to see my green pepper print pad under my boring clothes.  And when I run out of pads I don't need to leave the house to get more, I can just make another one!

For people worried about what to do with pads changed in public - I carry around a shallow plastic container (short sour cream container or something like that) to put my used pads in.  No smell, washable, and not see through like ziploc bags.

sillybethmarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2004 07:17:17 PM »

wow, this is such a great idea that you're making me feel guilty for not already doing it.  the only problem is that i live in a tiny-ass studio apartment with my boyfriend, and the one sink is almost always full of stuff already.  we do laundry every month and a half, when all the clothes we have are so rancid we can't stand to re-wear them one more time.  is there a clean/sanitary way to wash these just in the sink?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004 07:21:38 PM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
mindshare
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2004 08:13:02 PM »

catladysarah -- what I usually do ('cause I don't do laundry too often either) is wash them in the sink (it *is* easier if they can soak for 1/2 hour or so, but if not, that's fine too), and then hang them on a hanger in the closet, with clothespins. I've made enough so I don't need to reuse them during my period, and then I just throw them in the washing machine when the laundry gets done. I usually put them in with the towels.

But, I would say that you *can* use them again after just handwashing them and letting them dry. I've heard that using a vinegar/water mix will sanitize them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teehee
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2004 08:19:57 PM »

CatLadySarah- Your posts are so fun that you made me finally register here. I say save the extra laundry for later and stick with your current method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Time of My Life Book Trailer
Jonathan Maberry Talks About Rot and Ruin
Embassy Book Trailer
Brian DeLeeuw Talks About In This Way I Was Saved
Meet Author Brad Thor
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...