A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 240973 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PpCakes
« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2005 09:59:08 PM »

i do i use playtex gentil glide. they are wonderful.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
PpCakes
« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2005 10:01:59 PM »

i do i use playtex gentil glide. they are wonderful.  Grin
but i forgot to add, i do agree they are harmful to the earth and damaging to your body in a way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
serenityinsleep
« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2005 10:11:40 PM »

Well... I think your idea is great and all, really creative, but I cannot imagine using one of those. I can't even stand pads, let alone reusable cloth ones. Ick.

I'm a tampons girl, obviously.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2005 10:48:28 PM »

Well... I think your idea is great and all, really creative, but I cannot imagine using one of those. I can't even stand pads, let alone reusable cloth ones. Ick.

i won't go long here, because this has been hashed over quite a bit in 53 pages, but i will say, as a former "tampons only" girl, that despite my general revulsion to the sight or smell of blood, i have been totally converted to the pads because i feel like i'm doing something nice for my puss, not punishing it for bleeding.  soft cloth feels so gentle and caring, and a million miles away from sweaty, itchy, plastic-y pads.  weird but true, i actually look forward to my periods now because using the cloth pads (that i made, yay!) seems like i'm doing something loving for myself and i actually do find myself slowing down and listening to my body a bit more in general that week.

i'm starting to wonder if it might be good to split this thread into  "faq and how-to for newbies", and "a more detailed discussion for the already converted", so that no one has to search 53 pages to get the gist or find specific things?  is that even possible?  just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
sedrasmom
« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2005 11:25:16 PM »

I'm suddenly imagining the tampon industry looking like the tobacco industry, covering up the harm of their products...both have to be labled about their dangers but people use them anyway...

Exactly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2005 12:07:51 PM »

I used to be the same way. When I first started menstruating (22 1/2 years ago!) I hated disposable pads. They felt like wearing a big old diaper! I switched to tampons soon after; due to environmental concerns, I favored Tampax with cardboard applicators first, then o.b. because they had no applicators--the bonus there was they were less likely to leak than ordinary tampons. Then back in the early '90s I decided to try cloth pads because of environmental concerns and because of the cost savings. (I described mine earlier in this thread; they were modeled on some sold in a "green" products catalogue--Seventh Generation?--back then.) Turned out they were much better than disposables. They were thinner, didn't make me feel as if I were wearing a diaper, were comfortable, had no sticky tape to get twisted around. I used them until the late '90s (with occasional tampon backup on heavy days, especially early on) when I finally got around to ordering a Keeper. Now I like my Keeper better than anything, but I'm glad I used cloth pads for some years before I got a Keeper. I figure I saved a few cubic feet of landfill space.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
lyrem591
That's Mrs. Daniel Radcliffe to you

you didn't see anything...

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2005 02:19:13 PM »

not to sound TOO bitchy, or anything, but that is a very simplified view of things. 
It is not really sound to draw too much of a comparison between the two industries.  Tampon boxes have included warnings about TSS since I started my period 14 years ago (and probably before), their instructions clearly state that they should be worn for no more than 8 hours (and that high number is only a recent development).  While I understand people's concerns about the environment and their own gynecological health, wearing tampons is not even remotely as dangerous to your body as smoking cigarettes is.
[/quote]

i agree!  Grin although, for the enviroments sake, i think i will try a Diva Cup. the idea is great!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...thrashing around like a pair of eels all over the place..."--Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Lindsayanne
« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2005 03:48:35 PM »

ONE cycle with flannel pads and you'd be singing a different song.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. ALL of us converts were disposable product users at one time... and switched for a reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2005 05:25:03 PM »

Does anyone have links to websites that talk of the dangers of disposable products? i've been trying to persuade a couple of friend of mine to switch to re-usable products, but they won't budge...however, one of them is really health conscious...and if i can show her some sites where the health implications are discussed, it might help sway her!!

That and i'm interested to find out what damage i've been doing to my body all these years...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
tripleabatterie
« Reply #339 on: August 06, 2005 12:19:32 AM »

http://www.seac.org/tampons has a lot of good information.... "menstruator's health" on the left is what you want, i believe

ooh! *exciting* i just discovered the beauty of flannel!! until a couple hours ago... i was scared to actually use my flannel, for fear of failure (i have, seriously, no money)... but i made the bloodsisters one... liked it alot, but did it wrong the first time (still useable though, thanks to random burst of genius)...  but flannel!!! oh man... i can't wait to use this one!

*happy dances*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

but what's the fun in that?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wow: Best of Photoshop CS2 with Jack Davis
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample 1
5 Minute Portrait Retouch By Matt Kloskowski
Photoshop tutorial - Sharpening and Color
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...