A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 234279 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2005 09:02:34 PM »

layer reccomendations-

i used cotton print next to my skin.  i think i like it better than the fleecey flannelly type of fabric.  it lets everything kind of flow right past it.  for the absorbent layer i like felted wool sweater in three layers.  i'd love to hear from a medium to heavy bleeder who's tried this - i'm pretty light because of my birth control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tripleabatterie
« Reply #311 on: August 02, 2005 09:30:02 PM »

if one has no wool sweater to felt, what would a good absorption fabric be?

i hate the fact that we JUST got rid of a few wool sweaters/sweater vests that my dad had and never wore....

i know people mentioned using t-shirts for something, but i was confused as to what....

as far as fleece goes... is it more for absorption or waterproofness?

sorry about so many questions... somewhere along the line i got confused!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

but what's the fun in that?
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2005 12:41:36 AM »

so i make my pads like this, and have suffered no thermal (whoever described it earlier as "firecrotch", heehee that was awesome!) or leakage woe.

(and TMI,  i BLEED.)

layer of flannel on top
thin layer of toweling in middle (we're talking the $3/yd stuff at JoAnn that you would nver make an actual towel out of)
polarfleece on bottom as barrier to moisture AND as "pantygrabber" texture.

i make my pads in the "AIO" style, or "all in one", no inserts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
tripleabatterie
« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2005 07:25:52 AM »

oh okay that makes a little more sense now....

different fabrics have been mentioned for so many different things... i'm having a hard time sorting out in my head what purpose they are serving!

t-shirts? are they usually used as and extra layer for absorbing or for like the top, next-to-you layer?

again, sry about all the questions

haha.... "firecrotch" is an awesome term
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2005 09:42:07 AM »

oh okay that makes a little more sense now....

different fabrics have been mentioned for so many different things... i'm having a hard time sorting out in my head what purpose they are serving!

t-shirts? are they usually used as and extra layer for absorbing or for like the top, next-to-you layer?

again, sry about all the questions

haha.... "firecrotch" is an awesome term

i think (please jump in and correct me, girls) that tshirt could be used as top and/or absorption layers, if it's 100% cotton
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
sedrasmom
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2005 09:44:42 AM »

Many women do reuse the instead cup. I have. They're not approved for reuse, and they're more difficult to rinse out than the more rigid cups, but it does work. Try it at your own risk.

Monica

I have two questions for those of you who are using sea sponges. Would it be possible to have sex while wearing these sponges (in addition to condoms to prevent STD's of course)? I think I am one of the few women (or so it seems) who is not altogether squeamish about sex during her period but my previous boyfriend absolutely abhorred the idea of having sex with a 'bleeding woman' (his words, not mine, one of the reasons we split up BTW.) I've used the 'Instead' cup, but these aren't reusable *frowns*

I know you asked this a while ago, but I remember seeing on a documentry that some prostitutes used sea sponges when they had their periods so they could still have sex
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2005 12:04:48 PM »

Thanks for the tutes. I have made 4 cloth pads today, adn ordered a mooncup (the english DivaCup!!!).

I'm actually looking forward to next month now...which is a feeling i am totally unused to.

I'm a bit wary of the leakage issue (i'm a see it and believe it type person).

When i get my camera working again, i'll post pics of my new pads.

*runs off to make some sedrasmom style pads too*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
triciarn
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2005 02:41:00 PM »

i think (please jump in and correct me, girls) that tshirt could be used as top and/or absorption layers, if it's 100% cotton

Below is a site that only uses tshirt/denim for their cloth diapers. Tshirt is very absorbant and I would think less bulky than toweling.http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

I just made a pad last night using (link below) the microfiber towels I used in dd diapers. They are super absorbant and fairly thin. You can get them at WM in the car department. I think I paid $5 for 6 of them. They come in blue and white mixed in the package. A word of warning: wash the blue towels several times (in like colors) because the color bleeds really bad. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=34087.0

WOW!!! Thats more than I have ever posted in all the years I have been visiting craftster. Cheesy

Tricia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tripleabatterie
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2005 06:49:03 PM »

i finally did it!!

*woot*

i only made one and i'm using it already! (hehe)

it's a little bulkier... but i'm getting used to it.

i used the template for the junior pad, but put it together like the pantiliner... made an insert... added some ric-rak to the pad and tada!

i'm so happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could be serious.....

greenevie
« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2005 08:49:23 AM »

Since this thread seems to be the "let's talk about our periods!" lovechild thread, I just thought I'd mention that I tried the "instead" cups last month and for the life of me, couldn't get the hang of it, and despite a light flow I leaked a lot, but then I finally (finally finally finally) got my Diva cup and I haven't had any problems. I think it took a little longer to use..but...it doesn't want to come out like the "instead" cups did. Plus, I mean...it's reuseable....rinse and repeat baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Lehman: Best American Poetry 2009
Journalist Michael Meyer Discusses the Year That Changed the World
Julia DeVillers on Liberty Porter First Daughter
Author Jonathan Twingley Talks About His New Book Badlands Saloon
Half Upon a Time by James Riley
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...