A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,113
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 253403 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #710 on: March 04, 2008 02:10:54 PM »

Well, ya, I could see your point. I have not done it myself, but I figure if it's good enough for a baby's bum...

My neighbor uses only wool diaper covers, and she has had nearly NO diaper rash or a sweaty-irritated baby Smiley! My kids used store bought covers with a vinyl liner in them... they all worked equally well and I am not sure what would be more comfy, wool or vinyl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #711 on: March 04, 2008 02:19:33 PM »

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: March 16, 2008 01:54:27 PM »

Oh. My. God. I can't believe I read this entire thing! Haha, but it was worth it. I'm so excited to make some! Once I finish final exams next week I'll have plenty of free time... This sounds like a great option for me because my periods are so awful. I've been on the pill for 2 years to counteract that, and it helps but I think my body has adjusted or something because it's been slowly getting worse (here comes the TMI part). Someone mentioned that heavy bleeding and, uh, discharge might be endometriosis. My mom has that and I have the same issues she does, so I should probably talk to a gyno about that. Anyway, with the pill I'm at least part of society for that week instead of curled up puking and in pain and trying to breathe (cramps make my asthma get worse). From what it sounds like after reading all 72 pages of this, cloth pads can really help (except for the asthma part, obviously).

By the way, whoever mentioned firecrotch is my hero.

-Claire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
mikknits
« Reply #713 on: April 03, 2008 01:21:04 PM »

Cloth pads are great!  Don't know why I haven't done this sooner.  They're quick and easy to make, easy to customize, and they're so dang cute!  I feel like I'm pampering myself when I use them.  I use them every day as panty liners and the thicker ones as backup to tampons.  Some of my friends think they're gross but they have no clue!  Let them be stinky, sweaty and rashy.  I made the first ones with an old flannel backed vinyl tablecloth as my waterproof liner but they weren't waterproof.  I tried some nylon, which I thought was rip-stop nylon but probably isn't, but it wasn't even water resistant.  I couldn't find waterproof PUL (polyurethane laminate) locally so I ordered from eBay and I was off and running!  I read somewhere that you can use waterproof crib sheets or liners, which contain PUL.  I use Adahy's pattern http://shewhorunsintheforest.googlepages.com/home and it's so user friendly.  I use cotton quilting fabric for the wing portion.  I insert the PUL in between the two layers of wing fabric.  For my pad portion I use two layers of 100 percent cotton flannel and one layer of polar fleece.  It makes the pad nice and cushy.  I will try her larger pad pattern next, but for now I'm having too much fun sewing them.  Too bad none of my friends wants to try them or I'd be making them some as gifts.  Some of the crafters on Etsy have some really pretty ones and they're a small investment but worth it.  Now I'm off to make more.  They're addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewantsxglamor
« Reply #714 on: April 05, 2008 11:29:57 PM »

So, the other day, I was making some pads, and I realized that I didn't have something to make the waterproof layer. Then, I had a total brain wave! You know those bags that sleeping bags come in, and you can't ever get the sleeping bag back into? Well, some of them are waterproof! I tested one of mine (I have several laying around, since the sleeping bags are just stuffed into my closet) and it was completely waterproof. But be sure to test it before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lazurii

He did his first LOOK today!

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 06, 2008 01:35:38 AM »

OOoh, shewantsxglamour, great idea!

I need to make some.  I started, got one made, but then (warning, long explanation):

Okay, from the beginning.  I just had my son 4 months ago, and all ya'll with kids know about the six weeks of terror.  Well, I think being up against stupid disposable pads for six weeks made me sensitive to them and now I rash out whenever I wear them.  But after my six weeks was over I started to breathe a sigh of relief because I'm breastfeeding and not supposed to be mensturating.  I guess my body had a different idea because I've had two.  So I made one pad and it was great!  My flow was really light so I was able to wear the pad during the day and wash it at night with my son's cloth diapers.  But now it looks like my body got the message because I skipped this last period.  Which freaked out the hubby and I and I took a pregnancy test today.  Negative (Whew!). 

So there's my saga.

ETA more saga--We're using condoms, but we all know those aren't 100%.  My friend has her twins as proof...

Sorry for the TMI!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008 01:52:00 AM by Lazurii » THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek_goddess
« Reply #716 on: April 06, 2008 03:05:30 PM »

I've found that the liner doesn't necessarily need to be waterproof so much as water resistant.
Any fabric that water beads on will do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
muguet
« Reply #717 on: April 28, 2008 11:20:42 PM »

I used polarfleece as my "waterproof" layer.  It works great and has enough friction to be a good backing so the pad doesn't slide everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://muguet.wordpress.com/

And the essential wistlist:
www.wists.com/muguet

Recycle your books and get new ones! PaperBack Swap
crystalpeace
« Reply #718 on: April 29, 2008 11:10:06 PM »

i was wondering if any one has tried swimsuit material yet.  would it be used as an absorber or a leak resistant layer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

doing it all, doing it badly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: April 30, 2008 05:02:11 PM »

I don't think swimsuit material would work very well for either of those layers; it's not really absorbent, but it doesn't exactly repel water, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Way to Go From Brunette to Blonde
Ballerina Inspired Hairstyle at the Bibhu Mohapatra SS 2014 Show
How to Get Sexy Date Night Hair in Minutes
Modern Textured Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji SS 2014 Fashion Show
A Quick Updo Tutorial, for a Formal Event
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...