A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 228878 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilyandburt
« Reply #660 on: September 13, 2007 06:32:37 AM »

I've been really tempted to make some of these now! and I was a sworn tampon user too!

I also thought how comfy would a really padded one be for when I ride my bike? I can't be the only person who sits on a bike seat and thinks that they really didn't invent them with lady bits in mind. Ouchy. It would be like having own personal bike cushion.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you....

http://www.wists.com/lilyandburt 
My wisty woo
daizyduke
« Reply #661 on: September 13, 2007 09:33:23 AM »

I've been really tempted to make some of these now! and I was a sworn tampon user too!

If you can crochet, you might want to try these.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178151.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
funkyhooker
« Reply #662 on: November 01, 2007 12:15:01 AM »

I just posted in another thread about this but I wanted to jump over here again and thank the author for the great tute.  Her version works SOOOO WELLLL!  This is the first opportunity I've had to try them (yeah me,, boo PCOS! ).  Here's what I wrote in the other thread.
I just had to chime in on this. 
I have PCOS so I rarely have a period.  When I do tho.... whoa nellie, is a monster!!!!!
I was really worried about the leak factor, the absorbancy, if they would stay put... all that jazz.
I made a few and stuffed them under the counter.  Well,,, a week ago the raging river came and I got to try them out.
OMG.  Why. In. The. World.  did women start BUYING period products?  This is SO MUCH BETTER!!!
I would (am) bleed so much that I had "diaper rash" every time.  Well I've been flowing heavy for almost a week now and there is no sign of a rash.  I'm in good shape!
I would be changing traditional "overnights" at least bi-hourly if not hourly with this flow and I can go 3-4 hours with cloth.
I made my inserts with 3 layers of thin terry and a spiral of stitching for my heaviest flow.  Now I know that this was probably unnecessary but the insurance is nice!
I would encourage anyone, regardless of your situation (altho--- I'm boggled by the thong idea) to try this out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
shewantsxglamor
« Reply #663 on: November 01, 2007 09:41:03 PM »

I really want to make one now! All these amazing reviews are getting me excited Cheesy
Just wondering-- is the little insert thing for extra leakage protection, and then you change the whole pad when you need to, or are you supposed to change the insert thing when you need to and keep the outside of the pad on...? I hope that made some sense Roll Eyes

And has there been a swap for cloth pads? Cause if there hasn't, there totally should be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #664 on: November 01, 2007 10:40:52 PM »

And has there been a swap for cloth pads? Cause if there hasn't, there totally should be.

I keep asking for some in every swap I've done, bus alas, I have not yet received any. (Not to put down the many other fabulous things I've received!) Of course if I did have a bunch of them, I would probably get lazy and not launder quickly, which would be bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
funkyhooker
« Reply #665 on: November 08, 2007 09:58:37 PM »

To answer the last 2 questions...
I really want to make one now! All these amazing reviews are getting me excited
Just wondering-- is the little insert thing for extra leakage protection, and then you change the whole pad when you need to, or are you supposed to change the insert thing when you need to and keep the outside of the pad on...? I hope that made some sense
I change the whole thing.  You can make different weight inserts for different flow but the cover I think is made to hold the actual insert in place and over your bloomers.  Before I tried them I wondered the same thing.  Now that I've used them, I know I want an entire fresh pad at every change.
Of course if I did have a bunch of them, I would probably get lazy and not launder quickly, which would be bad.
You just keep a bucket of cool water in a discreet place.  Toss 'em in the bucket when you change them and then wash them all at once.  This is the "if you have a bunch of them" option.  I don't have many yet.  (about Cool so I rinse them thoroughly and wash them with whatever load I happen to be washing.  Hubster thought that was gross but then I told him that I've been bleeding on my clothes for 16 years and washing them with his stuff and he never knew.!  Grin  It's not gross.. really.
BTW,, still bleeding hard as ever (be 2 weeks now) and I've YET to leak out of these.  That is HUGE for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
geek_goddess
« Reply #666 on: November 28, 2007 09:17:13 PM »

I just want to say I'm finishing my first period on cloth pads and they are AMAZING. The difference between disposables and cloth pads is as big as the difference between a scratchy polyester work uniform and baggy flannel jammies. The bit of extra work washing them isn't as much of a hassle as I thought it would be.
I tend to have a very light 2-3 days at the end of my cycle and cloth pads are especially ideal for these days. Before cloth pads I would either use a tampon and feel continuously dry and scraped because my flow was so light, or use a disposable pad and end up with a rash and feeling icky from the contact with moisture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrangeAngel23
Orange Angel's Profile

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 28, 2007 09:55:04 PM »

are cloth pads ok to use on a heavy flow?  most of my periods are a heavy flow, and I need something that will protect my clothes from stains a bit better... O.o
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am very interested in doing swaps.  Please PM me if you are interested!  I love to make beaded things, and am now learning to sew!  Sooo.. please feel free to chat with me about crafty things!
MisTiF
« Reply #668 on: November 29, 2007 08:29:33 AM »

There truly is a world outside of tampons and yucky plastic pads!?!  My body has changed so much since I've had my daughter and I've seem to become allergic to both pads and tampons.  I kept using them because I didn't think there was really any other choice to the matter.

You women have inspired me!  I'm truly excited to make myself some of these in hopes that they will stop my period woes and have what Kotex calls "A Happy Period."  What a coincidence that I won't be using Kotex any longer! 

Hmm, wonder what my hubby is going to think of my new upcoming project?

Thank you for everyone who has posted here with advise and testimonials!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can dress an octopus, you can dress a toddler.

www.aussies2dye4.co m
geek_goddess
« Reply #669 on: November 29, 2007 12:31:14 PM »

are cloth pads ok to use on a heavy flow?  most of my periods are a heavy flow, and I need something that will protect my clothes from stains a bit better... O.o

One of the benefits of these pads is that you tailor them to your own needs: the size shape and absorbency is chosen by you. As far as protecting clothing I cut up an old ski jacket and used 1 layer of the waterproof fabric under the body and wings of the pads. I had no leaks whatsoever and wore one on my heaviest day, and (tmi??) definitely soaked it but my jeans are completely stain-free. I definitely recommend making a few up to try out. I did a sort of test on mine with a bottle of water to see how they absorbed to reassure myself before wearing them. I found 2 layers of old towel on a 12-inch long pad with waterproof lining to be more than enough for the heaviest night.

And for everyone: I tried several patterns, This one http://shewhorunsintheforest.googlepages.com/008  being my favorite. It is for a liner but I found using 1-2 layers of old towel in it worked fine. I cut an additional 'wing' layer out of the waterproof fabric and stitched it so it is on the inside.
This site has a few other patterns on it's main page http://shewhorunsintheforest.googlepages.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeovers Season 3 Trailer
Why Your Dry Nails Are Peeling, and How to Fix Them!
Rihanna Makeup Tutorial
How to Look Good Even When You’re Sick
How to Get Rid of a Breakout Instantly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...