A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 234433 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« on: January 21, 2004 09:58:40 PM »

Cloth pads, as in, ahem, menstrual pads! There was a lot of talk on glitter of cloth pads, so I did some research, and came up with my own pattern. I thought I would share here for those who have wondered, or who have never heard of non-disposable menstrual pads.

I "recycled" a black cotton t-shirt, cotton shorts, and waterproof nylon shorts to make this. But, you can purchase fabric (flannel is easier to sew than t-shirt) if you want. I just had these fabrics laying around.  

Here are the websites that helped me the most on fabric selection, etc. (but I don't have a serger, nor did I like the shapes of their pads very much, hence, making my own pattern):
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/mi-clothpad2.html
http://pacificcoast.net/~manymoons/howto.html
You can also do a web search for "cloth menstrual pads" for a LOT more information.

On to the tutorial!

1.  The pattern pieces cut out--> Top- 1 fashion fabric, 1 lining; Backing "wings"- 2 cotton, 2 nylon:

2.  Fold over 1/2 inch on straight side of all Backing "wings," press. Lay down 1 nylon piece, fold side pointing up. (I used fusable seam tape here to hold them together because the nylon slips around, but you can just pin.) Then lay the cotton piece on top, fold pointing down. Iron to fuse together, or just pin and go to next step.

3.  Sew the straight sides of the "wings" using a zig-zag stitch to make it pretty  Wink

4.  Now, stack all the layers like this:

5.  Even up your edges and pin them together. (they are in the order of step 4). I left HUGE seam allowances, cause I can sew on a line better than I can by following the edge of the fabric, so here I traced my "actual size" template:

6.  Sew a straight stitch all the way around on that line, then trim off the excess edges. You'll want to cut about 1/8 inch from the sew line:

7.  Turn right side out and press

8.  *horrible pic* Here, I have used a zig-zag stitch to top-stitch the pad (around the edges to keep it flat), and added velcro for closure. You can use buttons, snaps, etc for a closure:

Top of the pad:

Bottom of the pad (shown here with toweling insert):

I thought the $$$ print fabric showed off the idea nicely. Instead of paying sooo much money every month, these are pretty cheap, really easy, and last for years.

*I got so excited, that I had to post this now! I'll be back shortly with link to the actual patterns, and how to sew the toweling inserts!*  

Here it all is: http://web.archive.org/web/20060113103104/http://www.geocities.com/thixle/diypads_tutorial.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011 11:56:38 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed tutorial link (Thank you Internet Wayback Machine!) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ctm
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004 10:46:20 PM »

that is sOooooo cool.

but....does the pad go in the cloth and the cloth go on your panties?

wouldn't the cloth soak and seap everywhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairyglitterbug
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004 11:21:27 PM »

The waterproof material (Nylon) she used as backing protects against leakage!  As can certain fleeces and PUL, basically anything waterproof.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SARAH:)
artzyfartzy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004 05:12:22 AM »

Cheesy what a great step by step tutorial! thanks!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004 05:24:11 AM »

awesome, thixle!  i've been thinking about something similar for awhile and saving fleece and flannel.  this'll motivate me even more to save for a sewing machine-it'll pay for itself in a year or two with what i'll save on landfill-filling disposables.  and they're just more aestheically pleasing and definately more comfortable.  nothing like a little stray adhesive to ruin your day Tongue i know, t.m.i. Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mari_meow_meow
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004 01:34:54 PM »

check out this site for more info about reusable pads::
http://www.lunapads.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairyglitterbug
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004 01:47:06 PM »

Actually if you wash in cold water like someone said then throw in the dryer the heat from the dryer will be enough to kill anything.  Same goes for cloth diapers.  You could also wash in a vinigar rinse.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SARAH:)
thixle
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004 01:53:15 PM »

Here are the templates I promised! (This is for a normal sized pad, I actually have a few different sizes designed, but this one is the easiest to start with-- I'll have the others up shortly, my computer hates me right now.) http://www.geocities.com/thixle/diypad_junior1.html

When I went to print them out, my printer wouldn't print them to the actual size, so I gave measurements along with it. Just save the pics and resize them before you print, or use them as a basic guideline. The best part is, they are all up to YOU, from fabric to size!

Oh, and if you do them "assembly line" fashion, they go very quickly! My first try, I made 6 in about 2 hours, and I was still figuring out the sizes and the best way to sew them. And if you have a cool group of girl friends, you can all get together and make these in no time flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004 09:49:14 PM »

Nice tutorial!  I made some of these wayyyyyyyyyy back when after seeing some pricey cotton flannel ones in a natural foods store.  This was probably ten or twelve years ago.  I made them out of recycled flannel shirts, no waterproof layer.  I made several extra "liners" so I could slip in an extra one on those "heavy" days and overnight.  I use them w/o a liner along with tampons, too. Y'know what?  I'm STILL using them!  They're a bit worn, certainly, but nowhere near worn OUT.  Amazing.  Think how much landfill space I've saved!

I get a rash from paper ones, anyway, yuck.

I just throw them in with the regular wash, after soaking them overnight in a sink of cool water.  Germs haven't killed me yet ;-)

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
tns
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004 12:53:03 PM »

*great* tutorial!

i've been knitting mine lately, but this may actually get me off my bum to make some that are more "professional"- looking!

edt for typos
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004 12:56:34 PM by tns » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Hands
How to Sketch a Nose
How to Sketch a Mouth
How to Rank Comic Books
How to Sketch Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...