A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 245234 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pryor208
« Reply #760 on: August 22, 2009 08:21:20 AM »

I did it! I spent an afternoon making up about 5 pads from cotton fabric that I had on hand and sewed buttons and hand made buttonholes on the wings. I took an old towel and cut out long ovals slightly smaller than the outer part of the pad was. Some of these I stitched around with a zig zag stitch and also made lines down the middles to see if it helped. Everything I used was already on hand, so these were free except for a few hours of my time. I did use an overnight pad to trace a pattern, in order to make sure that there was plenty of coverage front to back.

Results...No leaks whatsoever! Easy to wash up. I just soaked the soiled pads and liners (pulling them apart) in an old plastic ice cream tub in cold water for a few hours, then swished and wrung out. Very easy and not icky at all. Little to no smell from using the cloth pads, in fact it was much preferable to using disposables. And I usually have at least one heavy day, but this week there was none of that, which I hope is from not having any chemicals in my pads because I want a period like this every month! I slept wonderfully with a cloth pad and 2 liners inside (for added protection, but it never went much into the second liner, if any), although I did lay an old towel on the bed just in case but never needed it. These cloth pads feel like there's nothing there except my undies and I love how easy they were to make and use! Sold on them for sure!  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 08:22:27 AM by pryor208 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: August 22, 2009 08:28:30 AM »

And I usually have at least one heavy day, but this week there was none of that, which I hope is from not having any chemicals in my pads because I want a period like this every month!

Grin My periods got much better too when I switched to cloth a few years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pryor208
« Reply #762 on: August 22, 2009 08:38:35 AM »

I thought they'd get better, but I just didn't expect them to improve so drastically with just the first month!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #763 on: September 03, 2009 05:12:25 PM »

Not only do I smell better, but I'm no longer plagued by reoccuring yeast infections.  Even after being on antibiotics, no infections Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Kaestae

~ Cute things make me go :3 ~

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #764 on: November 15, 2009 02:03:54 PM »

Usually I'm a bit of a lurker, but this post both inspired me to join and become a friend of crafster! I think this is a pretty good idea since i end up staining at least one pair of panties a cycle, so I'm not opposed to washing them out. But I think I'm in love with the idea that these things can make your period lighter. Seriously... YAY! I have a medical issue where my period can last anywhere from 10 to 60 days, with less than a week in between. I know, sucks to be me. Sad But these would probably make me excited to have my period. I like looking at pretty things, why not keep pretty things in my undies?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009 03:10:58 PM by Kaestae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart the Zelda Cheesy
supertink
Where's my pixiedust?

Fantastic!

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 21, 2010 09:45:08 PM »

I don't need them currently... we're 21 days from scheduled c-section for second baby, but I will need these postpartum! My first was exclusively breastfed and I still had periods. Stinks, huh?

I'm inspired to make these for myself. Better for me, better for my wallet! I hate disposables and I go through them like nothing; really heavy periods will do that.  Roll Eyes
Now I just need to get the materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disneyphile
DreadyMom
« Reply #766 on: April 06, 2010 08:54:25 PM »

You can use that, but really, I have noticed that a waterproof layer is really unnecessary (for me anyway). If you are having a particularly heavy day, you can always insert an extra absorber pad for safety.

Thanks for this earth-saving idea, thixle!
  But, I don't quite get what to use as the waterproof layer.  Do they sell it in the fabric store (I keep picturing in my head that stuff they make gym shorts from.)
or I have some left over vinyl around. Do you think I could use that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mvelusc
« Reply #767 on: April 07, 2010 08:58:47 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this!  I have been wanting to make these for a while.  This is such an easy tutorial to follow, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I love finding the beauty in common things.  Everything is magical in the right light~
sarajacob
« Reply #768 on: April 16, 2010 10:55:31 PM »

Hello! I've used your tut to create many successful pads. As a thank you, though I'm sure you've already made some, I'm giving you the link to my tut on making overnight pads: http://diyclothpads.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraixinxthexdark
« Reply #769 on: July 29, 2010 01:41:34 PM »

You know, for years I have experienced irritation from the use of disposable pads. At first I thought that maybe my blood (and uteran lining or whatever else comes out during my 'Crimson Tide') was causing the irritation. I thought that washing myself properly every time I changed (thank goodness I never had to change at school) would help but I still got a little skin irritation. My mother and I both have these ridiculous skin allergies to quite a lot of things. After reading this, it makes sense that the disposable pads themselves are the culprit. I am very hypochondriacal so I was skeptical about using these cloth pads. However, after much though, I realized that I could make like 8 pads and use 4 a day and switch every other day. It may seem a bit too frequent but it gives me better piece of mind. At least, no skin irritation and I'm already used to heavily disinfecting my clothing anyway. If you can get a hyponchondriac to make the switch, I believe anyone can make the switch. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you wish to see in the world. -Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create the Perfect Festive Wreath
Learn a Crocheted Slip Stitch
How to Make Cozy Crochet Mittens
Homemade Hen Party Crackers
How to Personalize Holiday Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...