A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 239098 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Discosally
« Reply #470 on: February 21, 2006 10:31:59 AM »

I was just thinking about these the other day...and then, lo and behold, almost 50 pages all about them! Its been very interesting reading them, I think i'll definitely be trying them out as soon as possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet dancing jehovah...I punctured my brain!
Tookie
It's Spleentastic!

I'm more Peter Pan than you are.

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2006 06:48:19 PM »

I use a DivaCup, but I'm thinking about making a handful of these as backup. I'm not really weirded out by anything period-related anymore (mostly a side-effect of using the DC), in fact, after a year and a half of not filling up landfills, I can't imagine going back! These look so comfy Cheesy My mom might find it a bit strange on the occasion that she puts my stuff in the dryer (when I put it in the washing machine late at night and need stuff in the morning - don't you love those "panic" washing machine loads?!), but both I and my brothers used cloth diapers so hey, maybe not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Non est delirus in terra mea~
http://www.victorinia.blogspot.com
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2006 08:17:19 PM »

I just sent out the order for my DivaCup this morning, but I really want some cloth pads.  I may have to learn to sew just for this specifically...I did a little bit of hand-sewing when I was a kid, but I've never had much interest in sewing in-general.  My mum is a big-time sewer, but every time I mention these (as in, "If I buy the fabric, draw you a pattern, and help cut them out, would you mind sewing them for me?") she counters with "You know they're a hassle to wash..."

If I've never ever used a sewing machine, and lack the patience to hand-sew a button back on, do you think I could handle these?  I want some...even if all they get used for is that extra sense of security when my DivaCup comes in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2006 08:28:44 PM »

Look, you don't need to know how to sew... I have an old set of re-usables, that I had cotton inserts for, and I am a heavy bleeder...  and I have cut new inserts out of old towels, and used those for a long while, then I just started using the towels.. the true 'rag' Smiley I am a cloth diaper mom, and have been know to use cut up diapers too!The pretty holders are just that pretty, you don't really need them! I keep all my rags in a plastic container in a drawer in the bathroom, and I don't even soak them, I just add a little bleach if I feel the need, but like someone already said, the dryer kills most anything, and so do UV rays (sun).
   If you're worried about being out and about, just take a zip lock baggie with you, or some other container, or throw them away!
That's my two cents! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: February 24, 2006 08:50:09 PM »

Thanks javastain!

I'll just buy myself some towels then...cause mum would probably hurt me if I cut up some of the small collection of towels we've got around   Wink   Oh, maybe I'll be nice and trade her some new purty towels for the old ones...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2006 09:10:56 PM »

You bet! I'm sure your mum would love to have new towels and you won't feel so bad about 'muddying' up new ones! Every once in a while Costco has a 24pack of white face-size towels, they are perfect for this, I cut them in half and fold the halves into thirds.. they are the perfect thickness, and not too bulky, and CHEAP so I do throw them away every once in a while...
If anyone is familiar with the 'instead' product, I have cut some towels down even more and folded them into little tubes, and they slip just behind the first layer of skin lenghtwise, and work wonderfully on the not so heavy days, and you don't really feel them there unless the towels are too scratchy Smiley I have used old flannel fabric (sheets and hubbys shirts) those are wonderful for this! So are the cloth diapers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
princessblueberry
« Reply #476 on: February 25, 2006 11:49:48 PM »

Ok, I've been making these for a little over a monthe and finaly have pictures via the scanner. . .cause DH would freak if I had pictures of "my science experament" as he calls it, LOL!  Men, they can gut a fish, butcher a moose that is all blody and has been hanging in a grauge for a week 'to age', or clean birds but the moment you mention aunt flow or they have to change a dirty diper it's the end of the world! 

Anywho. . .my first attempt was a one piece done with the overnight pattern, have deiced I'm a flannel girl  after this one was not as absorbent. . .I went as far as to take samples of each fabric and test which  soaked the watter up best.  Anyone else done that?

made 7 sets . . .color coded incerts white for light, green for heavy and just baught the remnent flanel for these. 

And a set of the baby sock tampons mentioned earlier in the post. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
swozniak
« Reply #477 on: February 26, 2006 08:25:40 PM »

I just made a bunch of pads this weekend and thought I'd share...

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~stw7k/Pads2.jpg
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~stw7k/Pads1.jpg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011 11:54:10 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: February 26, 2006 11:41:34 PM »

And a set of the baby sock tampons mentioned earlier in the post. . .

princessblue, where did  you find the info on the baby sock tampons?  i looked and have read this whole thread....where are they!!!! do ya have a link dear!?!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006 10:40:41 AM by taloola » THIS ROCKS   Logged

smrfchic
« Reply #479 on: February 27, 2006 07:57:21 AM »

princessblue, where did  you find the info on the baby sock tampons?  i looked and have read this whole thread....where are they!!!! do ya have a link dear!?!

That was my post! Smiley

"FOR MOM:

Reusable Tampons:
Ready to give up disposable paper tampons, but not ready to give up their convenience and to switch to cloth pads? For an inexpensive solution, here's a Frugal Mom Tip!

Buy 6 pair (or more) of 100% cotton white baby socks. Wash (and dry) three times with a natural, mild soap - rinsing well. At your next period, simply roll up one baby sock into a tight roll, and insert as you would a paper tampon. If you need more absorbency, use two baby socks rolled up.

Replace it with the next baby sock as needed. Rinse the used one out well, and store dry until washday.

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column1.html"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Create Glossy Sphere in Photoshop - Tutorial
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How Compare Different File Types
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Save Different File Types
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Create a Silhouette
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Duplicate Alpha Channel
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...