A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 291882 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Toast.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004 10:56:01 PM »

you beat me to it! my first tutorial was going to be cloth pads. but yours are prolly better anywho.
i try and use my cloth pads every month, but i'm lazy and don't have enough so i end up just using folded up pieces of old bath towel. ha. soo lazy.
i used to prefer tampons too. until i read up about what they do to your body, and i read up on the statistics of how many end up on beaches and stuff,.
eww imagine getting a used tampon in your hair while swimming at the beach.
anyway. nice tutorial. and wahoo for people looking after their bodies! the female body is amazing and the vagina is such an amazing little eco-system.
woah long message.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thixle
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2004 02:38:05 PM »

thats cool
but what would u do if u went somewhere and had to change it? put it in a plastic baggie?
Huh??

Yep, you can pop them in a baggie! You could even make a matching pouch to hold the baggie! And the pads can fold in on themselves...

I've got 3 different sized patterns up now, as well as how to make the inserts! It's all here:
http://www.geocities.com/thixle/diypads_tutorial.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004 11:56:48 AM »

Yes I was just going to say for those of you who prefer tampons there's a reusable alternatice.  SEA SPONGES!!!! I kid you not.  I get mine at an art store by the paint supplies in a bag full of about 6.  That costs about $2.00.  ANd you can use one for maybe 2 cycles.  They are softer and much more comfortable than tampons.  But you can't be squeemish a about blood.  Youjust rinse em out with hot water and soap.  And before you use a new one, boil it to kill bacteria.  I've used them for about 2 years.  And when I'm going somewhere where there's not a private bathroom, i just use unbleached cotton tampons.  It cuts down so much on $$ and waste, ebcause i use a total of 1 box of tampons for an entire year.

<insert SEA OF LOVE music here>..."Come with me...my sponge, to the sea, the sea of blood....I wanna tell you, oh, how much...I plug you...
Do you re-mem-ber when you bled? Oh that's the day, I knew you were..."
<thinks stopping now would be a good idea> Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
Fleafest
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004 06:06:26 PM »

Oh!  This is great.  I've used the Keeper for years now, but hadn't yet invested in cloth pads.  Now I won't have to!  I'll just make my own!

Thank you so much for the pattern and tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004 09:14:17 AM »

Kudos for this AWESOME tutorial!!!
I've been wanting to make these for some time, but have been too lazy to come up with my own pattern.  I haven't tried to make one yet, but your instructions look clear & very easy to follow. Yay!
I was curious also... how well do these pads work overnight? Or perhaps a larger version with more toweling would do fine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004 10:17:36 AM »

very funny ditty there firehead!

I've made pads and recommend dark fabric, but that's probably obvious- one thing I would say is to try the pad on - over your skivvies, just as if you would during Aunt Flow- and before you add the closer- either snap, velcro- I just sewed mine with abandon and discovered some were too loose and wound up creeping around  Tongue

I used old (dark) flannel pajama bottoms as the material was very soft and towels for my inserts

i also vote for sponge- with a bit of sanitised string added for ease of removal  - but they are not for the easily squemish of faint of heart, tho honestly one should really be well acquainted with their Lady Below
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004 05:51:30 PM »

I am so glad everyone has responded so well! (And sorry if I chased off any of the males on the board).

Okay, I just put up an "Overnight" sized pattern. So, the sizes I have in patterns now are:
Panty Liner (6 inches)
Regular (7 3/4 inches)
Super (10 inches)
Overnight (12 inches)

Something for everyone! Yeah!
http://www.geocities.com/thixle/diypads_tutorial.html

ps- I used the Super, with 2 towel layers when Aunt Flo was at her worst last month, and still no leakage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.feels.blind.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2004 09:04:17 AM »

i'm so excited, i've always wanted to try these but i'm too cheap to buy them. this is going to be my next project.  but i'm a little confused as to the washing of them, you soak\rinse them, but do you have to put them in the washing machine right away or can you wait until there are a few to wash? (meaning how immediate must they be cleaned?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

revolution gets me hot.
thixle
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004 09:23:53 PM »

.feels.blind.-- You don't have to wash them immediately.  Just make sure to change the soaking water everyday. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mindshare
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004 06:54:15 PM »

For anyone who's uncertain about cloth pads, or for those who love them and are called to defend them, here's an excellent link, "Eight Myths About Washable Menstrual Pads Dispelled":

http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/washable.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...