A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Window color snowflakes - easy and decorative project  (Read 2170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2004 02:09:53 PM »

Time for me to post my latest project! I have been really bad at posting projects lately, but I have had problems both with the computer, the camera and the time...
This weekend, I made some window color snowflakes for my windows. I painted the snowflakes with white window color and used white diamond glitter on top to make them sturdier and prettier(left in the first picture). I also tried making some with "snow effect" window color and not using glitter(right in the first picture), but I found that I had to use two layers to make the snowflakes sturdy enough. And I don't think they got sparkly enough either...

Here they are on our entrance/hall windows

I brought a few with me to work today, and put them on the mirror and on my locker. And you won't believe how much window color and glitter I sold today... Wink

And just to show off how much REAL snow we have here right now...

I am sorry for the picture sizes/quality, I have lost my copy of Photoshop, and until I am getting a new one, these pics will have to do...

-bagheraa-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
mellyp

QFA - you know you want to...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004 02:16:39 PM »

Really pretty! They look great in the bluish light against the glass.
Thanks for the photos of the real snow too - I don't get snow now that I live in California, but your photo looked like my old home in Oregon...warm fuzzies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alberta alberta - crafty goodness for you and your home
albertaalberta.etsy.com
http://albertaalberta.blogspot.com/
poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004 02:51:21 PM »

WOW is that where you live it looks so pretty  Cheesy

Our winter weather consists of wet soggyness and damp grey skys Sad

your snowflakes are very pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004 02:55:25 PM »

those are so cute!! WHere do you live that you have so much snow? I live in Connecticut and am praying for snow....!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
bagheraa

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004 12:53:49 AM »

Thank you so much!

I live in Norway, and we have had a very long fall this year, but last week it finally started to snow (and it never stopped, it seems...). The weather forecasts suggest rain on Thursday though... Sad I am actually more of a summer girl, even though the snow is really pretty, it always makes the trains late and it gets really slushy when it starts to rain. And its cold.... we have about -10 degrees celsius where I live right now. Sometimes during the winter its down to -20-25, but other places in Norway (i live in the South-East) it gets as cold as -50!!
But this year I have been waiting for it to snow for so long, so I really enjoy it, so far Smiley

-bag-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004 08:44:57 AM »

This weekend, I made some window color snowflakes for my windows. I painted the snowflakes with white window color and used white diamond glitter on top to make them sturdier and prettier(left in the first picture). I also tried making some with "snow effect" window color and not using glitter(right in the first picture), but I found that I had to use two layers to make the snowflakes sturdy enough. And I don't think they got sparkly enough either...

I brought a few with me to work today, and put them on the mirror and on my locker. And you won't believe how much window color and glitter I sold today... Wink

I love these.  How did you do this without making an incredible mess with the glitter?  And how did you bring them to work with you?  I'd love to try this for my house (we're throwing a Christmas party - yay!) but I'm not sure I get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bagheraa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004 10:56:16 AM »

Well...it was a bit of a mess, actually Wink

The clue with window color, is that you paint the snowflake on a plastic sheet or pocket (the kind you store papers in) and let it dry for about 24hrs. I put on the glitter while the paint was still wet, and then just took of the glitter that didn't stuck to the paint.
The snowflakes will attatch to things like windows, mirrors, tiles. They can be repositioned several times, and I think you can take them off and keep them on the plastic pocket for next year (that's also how I brought them to work). It's not recommended to place them on the refridgerator, acrylic surfaces or in the shower, because these surfaces can take color from the window paint.
(For more info; http://www.pebeo.com/us/index.htm - click on 'children' --> 'arti'stick')

I hope this was of some help to you... it's not always easy to explain things in English...

-bagheraa-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pickledkitty
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004 11:27:40 PM »

I bet that you could probably also do this with white glue, and add a Lot of glitter to it. Just on a sheet of glass and then slide a razor underneath to get off, then glue on a window. It sounds like fun, and I might do this with my sibs;p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tween - Adobe Flash CS3
How to Create a Digital Firework Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to use the Displacement Filter - Adobe Photoshop
How to Understand Hexadecimal
How to Create Flash Buttons - Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...