A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Alaskan cruise scrapbook kit for mom's birthday-- ideas?  (Read 769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hobbitsubculture
« on: July 20, 2007 01:42:29 PM »

So, I was hoping some of you awesome creative people on here could help me out a bit with an idea I had. (Throwing in the suck up-ery right at the beginning, yeah.)

My mom is the most difficult person ever to get gifts for, but this year I managed to come up with something that my whole family agrees is a good idea-- a scrapbook.  My parents will be going on a cruise to Alaska in a few weeks for their 25th anniversary, and I wanted to assemble a scrapbook kit so that when they get back she can create a nice memento quickly and easily.

I've been scrapbooking for about five years now, but she's a beginner (although very crafty and artistic) so I wanted to create something that would give her a push, without doing all the work for her.

So far, here's what I'm doing:
-making the scrapbook myself
-cutting out shapes, borders, and embellishments
-pre-making letters and headings having to do with the cruise, almost like a scavenger hunt so she could try taking the pictures I already have headers for (like "Vancouver", "Favorite restaurant", "Dad makes a dumb face")
-giving her some nice background papers

Also, I'm unemployed this summer, so costs need to be kept down... yay $ stores!

Any other ideas?

*Kris*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com

"If evil be the food of genius, there aren't many demons around."  -Adam and the Ants
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007 08:12:28 PM »

I just came back from an Alaska Cruise (honeymoon trip).  I actually found a scrapbooking store in Juneau where I bought some Alaska-themed background papers (whale tail, First Nations designs, maps, etc.), and they happen to have a website you can order from online - http://thecreatingplace.com/

They had way better prices than the touristy shops and the ship itself.

Header ideas:

- Vancouver
- Lion's Gate Bridge (you have to pass underneath it to leave port)
- Beautiful British Columbia
- The Inside Passage
- Juneau
       - Mendenhall Glacier
- Ketchikan
       - Creek Street
- Humpback Whales (we saw tons of them on our cruise)
- All Aboard!
- Dressing for Dinner
- Our Cabin
- Lounging on the Deck
- Glaciers (check your parent's itinerary - our boat cruised by Hubbard Glacier, which I think is a very common stop)
- The Buffet
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobbitsubculture
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 08:26:21 PM »

Thanks, I would never have thought of any headers that specific.  I just had stuff like "Kayaks" and "Mountains" mostly.

It's too late for me to order from that store since I'm giving her the book tomorrow, but I think I'll print the information for that store in case they have time to stop while they're in Juneau.

I also decided that I would make one page for the book myself, to get it started.  They went to Hawaii for their honeymoon 25 years ago, so I'm doing sort of a "then and now" page for their trips to the other two states.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com

"If evil be the food of genius, there aren't many demons around."  -Adam and the Ants
bluelise
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007 06:48:02 PM »

You could print out or draw up some layout sketches for her.

Also, keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to make/buy a bunch of Alaska or cruise specific embellishments for her. Think about the pictures she'll most likely be taking, and go from there.

Scenery pictures will mostly be blues, greys and greens. Give her papers, ribbons, etc that will coordinate with those. Pictures around the ship and of your parents at dinner will most likely be very colorful, so perhaps go will simple black and white papers and embellishments for those pages.

Also, paint covers a multitude of sins and can be much less expensive than buying tons of patterned paper.

I hope she has a great time on the cruise and loves your gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm up for personal swaps. PM me for availability and ideas!
http://girlinabook.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Chic Thanksgiving Outfits: Hostess, Friendsgiving, and the Family Dinner
Style Tips for a Slimmer Waist
Holiday Style: Go Classic and Comfortable
High Street Edit: 3 River Island Outfits
5 Items to Splurge on and Save on During Black Friday
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...