A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,570
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bandanna wallet  (Read 3350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2007 12:12:09 AM »

I needed a new wallet. I couldn't really justify buying a new one when I have tons of fabric lying around, but I wasn't in the mood to go hemming raw edges and dinking around with patterns this evening, so I just grabbed a bandanna and my iron and went to work. Ten folds, seven seams, and two pieces of Velcro later, I had this simple but functional and (hopefully) sturdy wallet.

It took me a couple of hours to make, partly because I was figuring out the design as I went, and partly because my geriatric sewing machine kept copping an attitude. A competent seamstress with a cooperative sewing machine could probably make this thing in less than 20 minutes. Here's a tutorial, in case anybody needs it:

Lay the bandanna face-down on your work surface, fold up one side about 2 3/4" from the bottom, and press a crease into it.

Lay the bandanna face-up on your work surface, grab the end you folded, and fold it up and press it again to make a 2 3/4" pleat.

Lay the bandanna face-down on your work surface, grab the pleated edge, fold it over about 4", and press a crease into it to make a 4" pleat.

Lay the bandanna face-up on your work surface and fold it and press it two more times to make another 4" pleat. When you get done, it should be folded accordion-style, with two 4" pleats and one 2 3/4" pleat.

Lay the folded bandanna so that the 2 3/4" pleat makes a little pocket at the bottom. Stitch the folded bandanna about 1/4" from the left end. Use a credit card to figure out where to put your second seam. Just stick it in the pocket, flush against the seam, and fold the end of the bandanna over from left to right. Remove the card, press the fold, open it back up, and stitch along the crease. This will give you a pocket about 3 1/2 inches wide.

Fold it back up along the seam, fold it over again, press it, and stitch along the crease as before to make the second pocket, which will be about 3 3/4 inches wide.

Fold it back up along the seams as before. Then fold it over two more times. Press it on the folds. When you unfold it this time, you will see four creases in the fabric (two with stitches running down them). DO NOT stich along the third crease. Instead, skip the third crease and put a stitch along the fourth. This will give you a third pocket about 8 1/4 inches wide. Fold, press, and stitch again to make another pocket (this one about 4 inches wide -- perfect for business cards) and an end flap about 2 inches wide, with a seam about 1/4 inch from the right end.

Open out the wallet and put a stitch from one end to the other, about 1/4 inch from the bottom edge. The action shot above should help you figure out where to fold and stitch if you get lost.

Attach some Velcro to the wallet to keep the flap closed. All I had on hand was the sew-on kind, which I tried to iron on with fusible webbing. It didn't work all that well, so I had to sew it by hand (my sewing machine does not like Velcro). It ended up looking kind of sloppy, but I'll get an iron-on patch next time I'm at Hobby Lobby and use it to hide the stitches. If I were doing this project again, I would use the iron-on kind of Velcro.

You could make this look a little nicer by trimming the edges with a little rickrack, ribbon, or bias tape, but I think it looks OK without it, and for security reasons, I sort of like letting my wallet masquerade as a folded-up snotrag. (I suppose if I really wanted to theft-proof it, I could smear it with a little bit of lime-green slick pen.  Shocked  Grin *LOL*)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007 01:22:38 AM by Redforkhippie - Reason: **UPDATE: I counted the folds wrong. There were only 10, not 11. D'oh! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007 12:38:45 AM »

i love it!!!  i hope you dont mind im going to make one for myself! Smiley thank you for the tute!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007 01:15:11 AM »

You're quite welcome. Smiley

Post a picture when you get done -- I'd love to see how yours turns out! I got kind of inspired while I was looking at the bandannas at Hobby Lobby the other day and trying to think of some reason why I needed one. I always buy them but never quite know what to do with them. You can get bandannas in every imaginable print -- cowboys, ladybugs, Barbies, tractors, lips, peace signs, you name it. I'm thinking for Christmas, I might make bandanna wallets and tuck gift cards or cash into them for all the kids on our list (and maybe some of the grownups, too!)

I'm working up a prototype for a larger ladies' wallet/small purse. I'll post it when I get it finished.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mary Baker Eddy

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007 01:46:01 AM »

I think the stitching for the velcro looks quite good. Decorative. Kind of indicates that its handmade without lookin sloppy.

This is great, I think it would be especially good for younger boys and girls (just change up the color)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
amousethecat
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007 08:35:47 AM »

holy hell!
I would never have though of this,& I DO have loose bandana flying around....   
<_<   >_>  & even though I am duct tape queen? ....I dare say that it makes a better wallet.
....BUT LASTS LONGER IF YOU COVER THE EDGES WITH DUCT TAPE!
<3 for the idea, & <3 for the duct tape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get glitter on you, be prepared to have it forever. Because glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." -Demetri Martin
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007 09:44:21 AM »

I used to have a duct tape wallet. I used it for the better end of three years before it finally wore out. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the edges of each strip of tape were a little sticky, and it picked up a lot of lint from the insides of my pockets. Everywhere there was a seam, I ended up with a sort of fuzzy, gummy gray line. I couldn't figure out how to prevent it, so I just put up with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Mary Baker Eddy

atomiqt
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007 10:41:31 AM »

This is such a good idea!!!  I'm going to go make one RIGHT NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
friznay
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007 11:19:41 AM »

wow really cool! have some bandanas lying around, going to have to try it some time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Ways to Make a Bookmark
How to Make Wine Cork X and O Stamps
How to Make a Valentine’s Jewelry Bag
How to Make Scrapbooks with Leeza Gibbons
Martha Stewart Makes Candlesticks with Josh Duhamel
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...