A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Low Fat Recipes/Suggestions desperately needed  (Read 827 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 20, 2007 12:26:29 PM »

Ok, so here's the short story!

After a trip to the ER early last Sunday morning, I was diagnosed with Gallstones, and told to eat very little to no fat (fat is what brings on the more than painful attacks). For the last week, I've been trying to avoid fat like a crazy woman, and have been having a hard time coming up with meals to make that are low in fat that aren't just plain chicken (or fish, which I'm not a big fan of) or purely veggie based (not that purely veggie meals are a problem for me).

Does anyone have any tried and true low-fat recipes they'd be willing to share? If you do, it'd be most greatly appreciated (I'm a meat eater, but definitely wouldn't mind trying some vegetarian recipes!)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
lindsoriah

In character at all times

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007 12:32:22 PM »

well, i'm not sure what you consider 'plain' chicken, but i know lots of marinades for chicken. 

also i don't know how involved you like to be in your cooking but you could try making a cheese-less pizza.  just either make or buy some bread dough, flatten, add sauce and your favorite veggies (or chicken, or shrimp). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007 12:47:54 PM »

By "plain" chicken, I mean chicken, sprinkled with a bit of lemon and herb seasoning or with nothing at all, then baked.

As far as involvement - it doesn't matter, I'm up for anything really!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
lindsoriah

In character at all times

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007 04:25:25 PM »

well, here's what i do with chicken for lunches and to put in salad, but it sounds like you could use any marinade that doesn't call for oil.

1. spicy salsa chicken: (one chicken breast, cut into thirds and pounded out for maximum marinade coverage)

Put chicken pieces in--
2 tbs lime juice
tsp paprika
tsp cumin
dash chili powder
salt
pepper

While they soak, chop:
2 scallions, separate white and green parts
1 clove garlic
1/4 green pepper

Sautee veggies on medium in a pan sprayed with non-fat spray, until fragrant.  Then sprinkle with chili powder and oregano.
Chop 1/2 of a plum tomato while veggies cook.
 After about 5 minutes, add tomato and mix.
After about 2 more minutes, add the chicken pieces, pouring any leftover marinade into the pan as well.

Cook until the chicken is done, the middle of the thickest part should be opaque and white. 

Remove from heat and sprinkle with green part of scallions, mix to let flavor meld, and serve or pack into lunch container.

Other ideas:

-- Orange juice, soy sauce and garlic (especially on fish)
-- Oregano, parsley, and a side of zucchini with onion and garlic simmered in low-fat chicken stock

I hope this helps, Ill keep thinking about any recipes I normally use.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
myfeet

These are my feet!

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007 09:52:18 AM »

cooking sprays like pam don't have any fat you coult use the flavored ones to add...flavor.
you could try different ways to cook the veggies and chicken like, broil or grill.
and how about experiment with different fishes and veggies. some times we will just buy some veggie that we have never eaten, have only eaten in restaurants or, thought we didn't like and give it a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My beauty is not only on the surface. It goes down deep... layer after layer after layer. Yes, sir! My beauty is very thick.
I blog here:
http://shecancreate.wordpress.com/
sparkleball lady
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007 12:41:01 PM »

Me, too--  I've struggled with gallstones.  What's saved my life for breakfast, especially in the summertime, is muesli.  It's a cold cereal like oatmeal made the night before. 

In a bowl, add 1/2 cup oatmeal (regular), 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk (i just non or low-fat vanilla flavored soymilk), 1/4 cup raisins.  You may also add sugar if you choose, or honey.

Leave overnight in the fridge, and voila!  In the morning, you'll have a great high fiber, low-fat, tasty breakfast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you have but what you do with it that matters.
jantyline
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007 01:17:52 PM »

My boyfriend and I are on a diet at the moment and we have found the best way to keep healthy meals interesting is have a stocked up condiment cupboard! We always have lemon juice, mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Worcester sauce (you might not get this is the US?!) and things like dried herbs. That way you can put together yummy salad dressings or marinades for meat anytime! hope that helps and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007 02:14:04 PM »

Some easy things that I do quite often:

Grilled shrimp on top of salad is really good (i don't know if you count that as fish or not though).  I also wrap grilled shrimp in those flavored tortillas (spinach, sun dried tomato, etc) with veggies like onion, lettuce, tomato, cilantro. We actually eat that at my house a lot.

Scallops - seared or grilled, again, I don't know if you are excluding that as fish, served along with grilled or roasted veggies.

Marinate chicken breasts in jarred salsa overnight, grill or broil and top with avocado slices(is that too much fat? if so you can leave it off). Then serve with tons of salsa on the side, corn tortillas and lowfat refried beans.

I often use grilled portabello mushrooms in place of meat on burgers and sandwiches - they are really yummy. You can just spray with Pam, lightly season and then cook. The longer they cook the firmer they get.

One of my husband's favorite is a salad of baby romaine lettuce, tomato, red onion, feta cheese (minimal amount of this), non-fat itailan dressing, and then top it with lean grilled marinated steak.

Can you tell I grill a lot? Smiley I'll try to think of more recipes. My mom had gallbladder issues as well, so she'll have tons of suggestions. I shall ask her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007 04:50:16 PM »

when i was on weight watchers, i practically lived on steamed broccoli and molly mcbutter sprinkles. the sprinkles taste delightfully buttery, and are fat free, which is great. also, the molly mcbutter website apparently has tips on fat-free living, here

it's also good on baked potatoes, with fat-free ranch dressing and maybe some cheese sprinkles also.

can you have olive oil or tuna or anything like that, or do you have to stay away from the "healthy" fats too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 4/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/6
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 9/29
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...