A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: writing thank you notes?  (Read 1854 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007 06:54:33 PM »

I think I would, ya know If I ever actually finished something.
My finished projects to date have been from yarn companies and I doubt they would get the same warm fuzzies as an individual designer  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007 10:29:42 PM »

I've done it once or twice, but I don't do it often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007 01:47:05 PM »

my "thank you" was paying for the pattern.

That's true, if I've purchased a pattern then it's a business transaction and I don't usually thank the people I buy things from for providing me with the thing I bought.  Well, unless it's something really special that I'd been looking everywhere for.  But that's totally beside the point.

However, if the pattern is free, and I know a lot of us use, and have provided, free patterns, then thanking a person for having put the time and talent into writing something and then giving it away is a nice gesture.  For a lot of people, they publish their patterns on their blogs, etc., and may never know if anyone likes it, uses it, if their work was for anything, unless people tell them so, and a nice way to do that is a thank you note.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
cranberry
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007 03:56:48 PM »

Word. Especially when the instructions were incomplete and sucked at the end. Why can't you get your money back on online knitting patterns is beyond me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007 01:54:55 PM »

For a lot of people, they publish their patterns on their blogs, etc., and may never know if anyone likes it, uses it, if their work was for anything, unless people tell them so, and a nice way to do that is a thank you note.

Totally agree. The free pattern is a gesture to the community. If I use one and enjoy it, I make sure to say thank you. I've gotten emails from people who have made my patterns, and it's a GREAT feeling! I think of it as bringing a plate of cookies to work. If you eat a cookie, the nice thing to do is tell the person how good their cookies are. If the cookies sucked, don't make the person feel bad for trying, just quietly warn your coworkers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
cranberry
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007 03:40:56 AM »

For a lot of people, they publish their patterns on their blogs, etc., and may never know if anyone likes it, uses it, if their work was for anything, unless people tell them so, and a nice way to do that is a thank you note.

Totally agree. The free pattern is a gesture to the community. If I use one and enjoy it, I make sure to say thank you. I've gotten emails from people who have made my patterns, and it's a GREAT feeling! I think of it as bringing a plate of cookies to work. If you eat a cookie, the nice thing to do is tell the person how good their cookies are. If the cookies sucked, don't make the person feel bad for trying, just quietly warn your coworkers.

Oh, I can understand free, especially if the patterns are cute and well made. Oh yeah, I'll drop a line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007 06:18:12 AM »

Just wondering if when you finish a project do you ever write to the person who wrote the pattern to thank them?

I never have, but if it's a free pattern, I will definitely do so from now on.  I just never thought of it before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007 10:44:40 AM »

Just wondering if when you finish a project do you ever write to the person who wrote the pattern to thank them?

I never have, but if it's a free pattern, I will definitely do so from now on.  I just never thought of it before.

Ditto.  It never occurred to me before, but I think it's a great idea and will do it from now on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
ysolda
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007 03:49:22 PM »

Word. Especially when the instructions were incomplete and sucked at the end. Why can't you get your money back on online knitting patterns is beyond me.

You can't? It's not something that's ever come up, but if someone emailed me because they weren't happy with one of my patterns I would offer them a refund. At least if it was a reasonable complaint about something I was responsible for. I don't have a refund policy posted, although I can see that some designers might have a no refunds policy because a downloaded pattern isn't something that can't really be returned. I also kind of feel like knitters have a responsibility to complain about terrible patterns, because if they don't how is the designer ever going to know that it sucked?

I've had thank yous from people who have made my patterns (including purchased ones) and more commonly emails from people wanting to show me their finished object. I love getting these emails. To a certain extent I agree that buying the pattern is the thank you, but it's also nice to know that people have enjoyed knitting something, that it turned out well, that the instructions were clear etc. It would also be useful (if not so nice!) to know if it didn't meet their expectations. Sometimes it's hard to know, until I get these sorts of emails or someone writes a similar blog post, whether anyone is actually making the patterns they by from me.

I certainly don't think you should ever feel obligated to thank the designer of a pattern for the pattern but I know that they would love to get a little note showing your fo and your thoughts about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007 07:00:06 PM »

Most of my patterns come from here on Craftster or in blogs, so I usually post a reply saying I made the project and a couple of pictures of the FO.  People seem to like knowing you used their stuff and enjoyed it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Hearty Turkey Pot Pie from Leftovers Recipe
Garlic Cheddar Cheese Grits Recipe
Fantastic Tuna Melt Sandwich Recipe
Comfort Food Meatloaf Dinner Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...